The 4, 2, 0 rule

kevink

Full time employment: Posting here.
I don't remember to check John Greaney's site very often but just did and thought this pithy post was worth sharing. For those unfamiliar, Mr. Greaney's been ER'd for 25 years and to the best of my knowledge was among the first (and quite possibly THE first) person to have a web site devoted to the nuts and bolts of early retirement.

Greaney has a very dry and wicked sense of humor and is just about as merciless and irreverent as it gets when it comes to skewering the financial services industry in general and FA's in particular. He is also extremely good with numbers. In this case the 4 refers to the 4% rule, the 2 to avoiding the ~2% skim off the top from FA's, and the ~0 what refers to what one pays for Obamacare premiums when one chooses the correct state to reside in and manages MAGI skillfully. A fun read - as is the rest of his site! And all the more valuable because he's walked the talk successfully for two-and-a-half decades.

The 3 Big Numbers for Early Retirement: Four, Two and Zero

I forgot about this website! It looked like it had a lot of good stuff to read, but it was put in as a bookmark and I immediately forgot about it!

I also love his "Geocities" look of the page...it takes me back to a simpler time. :)

Intercst doesn't post very frequently, I find wandering back to it every few years is a perfectly reasonable rate to check in at.

I first heard of the 4% and early retirement through John Greaney. I'm surprised what a difference health care can be by what state one lives in. $20,000/year is a nice chunk of change.

Not totally correct on the Obamacare statement. If one lives in a red state (FLA), the premiums are automatically higher than blue states due to lack of medicaid expansion.
$64 monthly for me......

Not totally correct on the Obamacare statement. If one lives in a red state (FLA), the premiums are automatically higher than blue states due to lack of medicaid expansion.
$64 monthly for me......
Let's keep this thread on track. If the subject is Medicaid expansion, then let's stick with that. It's not about "red" states or "blue" states. Many "red" states have expanded Medicaid.

Here's a current map of states that have/haven't expanded Medicaid

I don't remember to check John Greaney's site very often but just did and thought this pithy post was worth sharing. For those unfamiliar, Mr. Greaney's been ER'd for 25 years and to the best of my knowledge was among the first (and quite possibly THE first) person to have a web site devoted to the nuts and bolts of early retirement.
The 3 Big Numbers for Early Retirement: Four, Two and Zero

Nice lead to another good website...thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom