The Average ER.org'er has $2.9M Net Worth, $84K/yr Spending, 3.4% Withdrawal Rate...

Concrete gets hot when the sun shines and holds that heat a long time

Even though our river front lot was level, it had water issues at certain times of year. A ground level deck possibly would have been a bad idea.

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 74
I guess it's better to be comparing deck sizes than ...

In many threads, people talk about their cars. Why not talk about decks for a bit of variety? And there's more than just sizes. There are length, width, odd shapes, colors and textures, etc... OK, you've got the idea.

...the access point (doorwall/sliders/door) is somewhere "way up in the air" and/or the deck is being built over a drop-off/slope...

This. In my case, the rear deck was what made me fall in love at first sight when I saw it in the final stage of being built as a spec home. The lot extended down a hill slope, and from the vantage point of the deck I could look down to the highway running along the valley floor, and the homes on the other side of the valley and the national forest surrounding the area.

The price was significantly higher than what I originally intended to spend, but I told my wife a lot like this did not come on the market often. There were some lots like this on the other side of the valley, but the price was even higher.

The home also has a smaller front deck of 25'x15'. It is covered, and serves as a front porch.

Since the discussion has veered to decks, perhaps someone can clear this up for me.

I can understand building a deck if one is constructing something adjacent to their house and the access point (doorwall/sliders/door) is somewhere "way up in the air" and/or the deck is being built over a drop-off/slope.

I'm trying to understand a preference for building a deck at basically ground-level....or a foot or so above...on a level lot.

It seems as though decks have a lot of maintenance and upkeep over time, and if one has a level lot, why not instead build a concrete or cement paver patio that is a step or two down from the access point to the house, but requires little or no maintenance? :confused:
omni

+1000

my next home will be one level and have a concrete/stone/etc. patio, NOT a wood deck.

btw, wood decks get plenty hot in the sun as well...

In many threads, people talk about their cars. Why not talk about decks for a bit of variety? And there's more than just sizes. There are length, width, odd shapes, colors and textures, etc... OK, you've got the idea.

double entendre
ˌdo͞obl änˈtändrə,ˌdəbl änˈtändrə
a word or phrase open to two interpretations, one of which is usually risqué or indecent.
:cool:

I noticed something about Trex for outdoor use. My workplace installed some nice paver courtyards with Trex benches and picnic tables. Plain, but very nice looking and decent quality. After about 5 years, the seats obviously show no sign of rot or cracking the way wood does; but they are covered with a million tiny pits, like acne scars,and these pits collect dirt and algae, so the overall effect is dirty. I don't know what would cause this - acid rain maybe? or how it could have been prevented. If it were my deck I would probably do the same as I do for wood: power wash yearly, followed by painting.

In researching deck materials, I found that Trex faced a class action lawsuit in the past. Supposedly, the new planks are better. To be sure, I bought their top grade as it was supposed to be more durable. I also liked the look better.

Time will tell if their claim holds up. If not, I will have to launch a board or two through their headquarter glass windows.

The members list under Community shows 27604 records at the moment so at 2.9M a pop the er.org mailing list would represent 80B USD of net worth. OTOH if Bill Gates happens to be a member, then the rest of us are no different than the typical US household.

It would be hilarious if Bill Gates were secretly a member. Especially if they occasionally posted a "can I retire" thread lol.

Bill Gates is not a member. And his decks are world class, at least on the Lake Washington house.

Bill Gates has nothing on me when it comes to deck repair. I am sure his knowledge is zilch when it comes to DIY stuff. Heck, he probably doesn't even know the pain one goes through to update a PC from Win 7 to Win 10.

How did we get from "My wife likes a big deck" to Bill Gate's mug shot? Where is this thread headed?

How did we get from "My wife likes a big deck" to Bill Gate's mug shot? Where is this thread headed?
Hey, he's a pretty good looking guy, you know. :D But I'll bet he is no good at deck repair.

xVAFH9ZH_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
The husband of my wife's sister once said I looked like Bill Gates. Hah!

I'd rather have his money. I would not have to teach myself all this DIY money saving skills.

I get confused with all of the various acronyms. Is an INTP the one who looks at his shoes when he talks to you or your shoes?

No, we're the ones that think before we speak and call a BSer what they really are.

Wonder how many of us cheapskates with low net worth would take to bring median below 750K ?

Bill Gates has nothing on me when it comes to deck repair. I am sure his knowledge is zilch when it comes to DIY stuff. Heck, he probably doesn't even know the pain one goes through to update a PC from Win 7 to Win 10.

I don't know about that. Did you see his ice bucket challenge? There was some good DIY Rube Goldberging there. Now maybe he didn't do it, but he knows WHO to consult for DIY, so I'm sure his decks are just fine. Windows? Now that's a different issue. :)

Wonder how many of us cheapskates with low net worth would take to bring median below 750K ?

Ummm....it's quite likely the cheapskates are the ones who have amassed the larger net worths. It's the spendier ones who may have the smaller net worths. :LOL:

omni

Ummm....it's quite likely the cheapskates are the ones who have amassed the larger net worths. It's the spendier ones who may have the smaller net worths. :LOL:

omni

Haha we stopped inviting an acquaintance to events because she was such a taker and didn't offer to pay her fair share, despite a very high NW.

I don't know about that. Did you see his ice bucket challenge? There was some good DIY Rube Goldberging there. Now maybe he didn't do it, but he knows WHO to consult for DIY, so I'm sure his decks are just fine. Windows? Now that's a different issue. :)

I do not get out much, so only learned of the ALS ice bucket challenge just now. And I looked up the youtube video of Bill with his contraption. I don't think he bothered to build that stand himself, although he would be certainly capable of it.

About his deck, heck, he would spend a few millions on it to have it done top notch. What I was talking about is true DIY labor, which I would not do if I had his money. Would not risk cutting off a finger or getting hurt doing labor work.

In the earlier post, I talked about seeing people spending $300K to $550K to have their deck built by special contractors, ironically on a channel called DIY. The home owners on that show looked like ordinary people, but they had so much money. They are not in the billionaire class like Bill, but their net worth has to be an order of magnitude more than that of the "average ER.org" here. And there are seemingly so many of them. There may be a lot more rich people than commonly thought.

Back
Top Bottom