The need for Toys and the desire to FIRE

Well, as they say, "If you have to ask..."

But I did check out the price. This 8x8 all-terrain vehicle (eat your heart out, 4-wheelers) is the German UNICAT MXXL 24-AH, and it starts at $3 million. It has some unique features, such as tire pressures being adjustable while driving (saves you the trouble of getting out to deflate the tires for sand traps). It has 9 ACs, and carries 1,000 liters of fresh water.

Here's more info if you like to order.

Last edited:
One thing to consider about that Ford claim, is that Ford doesn't break out F-150 sales, versus the F-250 and up trucks. And, starting in 1997, the F-150 was a completely different truck than the F-250 and up. Whereas Chevy/GMC and Dodge would just put the existing body and cab down on a beefier frame and suspension to come up with their 3/4 ton and larger trucks, Ford came out with a completely different truck. So, Ford just calls it "F-Series".

So just because you saw a Porche doesn't mean that the Porche's owner wasn't out driving his F-150 at that moment.
His Honey was driving the Carrera, while megabucks was out taking his shovels and brooms for a ride? I suppose it could happen.

Ha

I think the Thomas Stanley point about the F150 is that some millionaire next door types have blue collar businesses like farmer, scrap metal dealer, auctioneer, rental property management and plumbing business owner where a pickup truck can come in handy. One of the reasons they can become MNDs is because farmers often don't have the same social expectations to wear designer suits and drive luxury cars, unlike a surgeon or a stock broker might, so it leaves more money to be reinvested in their businesses.
Another reason is that it is hard for farmer with a big herd, or a reasonable acreage if a grain farmer , to not be a millionaire. Also, many of them inherit considerable acreage, and a pickup.

I used to live in an ag town. Likely all the farmers were millionaires, and I saw plenty Ford PUs but no Porsches or Ferraris. So I guess your point is proven. Of course these farmers wore mostly bib overalls too, which might not go with Ferraris very well.

Ha

I used to live in an ag town. Likely all the farmers were millionaires, and I saw plenty Ford PUs but no Porsches or Ferraris. So I guess your point is proven. Of course these farmers wore mostly bib overalls too, which might not go with Ferraris very well.

Ha

Ha, they hide those exotics in the barn. It always amazed me when watching the Pickers TV show at some of the exotic antique cars hidden in barns for years and years.

Another reason is that it is hard for farmer with a big herd, or a reasonable acreage if a grain farmer , to not be a millionaire. Also, many of them inherit considerable acreage, and a pickup.

Ha

I am not trying to prove any point. I am relaying tidbits I found interesting in books and blogs post written by a marketing professor from the University of Georgia who surveyed and researched the affluent for a living.

If you think his research is incorrect or fabricated because it differs from your personal observations, that is certainly your choice.

I think farmers and small business owners are the typical millionaires out there. And today, I'd add tech workers to the mix.

I know a lot more wealthy people that drive non-luxury cars (or barely luxury like 10+ year old imports) than I do wealthy people with fancy cars.

My sister and I drive generic (and also old) cars. We both have multi-million assets.

My two younger brothers drive BMW SUVs. Though we do not share personal wealth info, I know that they do OK financially, but also that their net worth is not up to $1M. Oh, they also live in bigger homes than ours (3,500+sq.ft., instead of 2,500+sq.ft.).

I went to a few classic car and motorcycle auctions in the past. About half the heavies knocking down the most expensive stuff were wearing overalls.

Of course these farmers wore mostly bib overalls too, which might not go with Ferraris very well. Ha

And no way am I letting a guy with metal rivets and metal hooks to get in my expensive car or truck. He might scratch the flashy plastic interior!! HA! I can not tell a lie, even if you drive a car that you use the back seat for a garbage pail (got a friend that does that). If I've got mud on my shoes I'm going to do my darnest to clean my shoes before getting in.

NW-Bound, I'm looking to travel around the US and visit all my multi-millionaire "acquaintance". Shall I bring the truck or the vette? After paying for gas (the range on all the vehicles is from 9 to 30 mpg) you'll have to put me up........buy food and souvenirs. Whose the next multi-millionaire to visit?

My friend with the pigpen back seat I can't figure out. Her house isn't like that, it's neat as a pin.
Buy the Tesla, if you've always wanted one then enjoy it while you can.

Last edited:
The desire to FIRE has seemingly won the battle with the desire to own some nice toys.

Crazy as it seems now, I was considering getting a BMW M4 and working a couple of extra years. Thankfully sanity has intervened and I'm giving notice in July, ER'ing in late September, and am going to continue to drive my still wonderful 14 year old Toyota 4X4 pickup to 400,000km's and beyond. :D

NW-Bound, I'm looking to travel around the US and visit all my multi-millionaire "acquaintance". Shall I bring the truck or the vette? After paying for gas (the range on all the vehicles is from 9 to 30 mpg) you'll have to put me up........buy food and souvenirs. Whose the next multi-millionaire to visit?

I will be traveling the US myself here, but with an RV. And I will need to dump my waste tanks (70+ gallons) every so often. Well?

Last edited:
I will be traveling the US myself here, but with an RV. And I will need to dump my waste tanks (70+ gallons) every so often. Well?

Holy cow, did not realize you were so full of it. We'll have to see if any of the other multi-millionaire with economy cars on this site volunteers their dumping station. I'm only a millionaire so I can't afford a station just trucks and cars.

You have not been here long enough, but I remember a poster here with an RV suggesting to visit another poster, and to pull into a remote corner of the host's lot to "let go" of the tanks. No dumping station needed! And by the way, there's yet another poster with a motorhome where she boasted of having 70 gal just in the black tank. I am saying you have to be careful who you invite to visit. ;)

Perhaps these posters will acknowledge my superior memory and speak up to [-]collaborate[/-] corroborate my recollection. Else, I can even search and find these posts, as I remember their names too.

Last edited:
That's too bad.

Anyway, just as I was showing off my superior memory, I let it slip. I meant to write "corroborate", not "collaborate". Darn! Alzheimer can't be too far away.

I love teslas. There seem to be more and more of them on the road here in San Diego.
I saw one yesterday on my commute home and was admiring it. From the 1995 dodge pickup I was driving.

I'd rather retire in less than 2 weeks than spend the money on a tesla.

+1 Have a friend with a Tesla. In the end, it's just a car. Won't get you anywhere your dodge pickup won't.

I just happened to look again at the thread title: "The need for Toys and the desire to FIRE".

What if I switch it to "The desire for Toys and the need to FIRE"? Would that change anything?

You have not been here long enough, but I remember a poster here with an RV suggesting to visit another poster, and to pull into a remote corner of the host's lot to "let go" of the tanks. No dumping station needed! And by the way, there's yet another poster with a motorhome where she boasted of having 70 gal just in the black tank. I am saying you have to be careful who you invite to visit. ;)

I'm hoping your old enough to understand a jest and I'm old enough not to invite strangers to visit. Sometimes it's a matter of getting use to a persons email/forum talk pattern. Many people think they have friends on forums and that they "know" these strangers. :flowers: I'm here to learn and have some fun.
AND yuck-o, I hope that was a joke about dumping on someone else's property.

Californiaman, To you it's just a car but maybe it meant something to the other person. My husband and I could be ahead in the ER game if we didn't love our cars and trucks, by quite a bit but we enjoy them. That's why we'll be adding another car to the group in the Fall.

I just happened to look again at the thread title: "The need for Toys and the desire to FIRE".

What if I switch it to "The desire for Toys and the need to FIRE"? Would that change anything?

Nope, cause right now I still enjoy my job and love my toys!!!

BUY the TESLA!!!!!! Go team, Go!!!!

I'm hoping your old enough to understand a jest and I'm old enough not to invite strangers to visit. Sometimes it's a matter of getting use to a persons email/forum talk pattern. Many people think they have friends on forums and that they "know" these strangers. :flowers: I'm here to learn and have some fun.
AND yuck-o, I hope that was a joke about dumping on someone else's property.

The [-]threat[/-] "promise" to dump at the host's lot corner was also a joke a few years ago between two old timers here on this forum. ;) They have been here longer than I have. I brought this back to tease them (and you!), and to show off my superior memory.

And at least one of them has seen this thread. :)

PS. By the way, some of the posters have met each other. I and some others are, er, a bit coy, and have not met anyone in real life. Maybe some day...

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen where a couple of posters have mentioned meeting up. I'm not coy just a little leery of meeting others with dementia.....(little jest, cause dementia is nothing to joke about).

Back
Top Bottom