Thinking about a Tesla truck

Or Semi

Cyberbus!,lol!, love that Major.;)

Byton, Lordstown, truck looks very appealing!
The Rivian too, both and others will beat the "ugly one" to market.
Elon said it wasnt for everyone. And doesn't care.,lol!
They say beauty is only skin deep. Sledgehammer ,9mm. steel cannon ball, Ha;, True here, It's the Specs that reveal a leap in cost and efficiency improvements,all that power,drivetrain, adaptive suspension, Apilot, on board air compressor 240v.250mi range for $39,900. Up,..? In 2021 dollar's? Deal.
TSLA -3% misses the fact that the Shanghai factory will be selling Mdl III as fast as iPhones, hee,hee, .
I think you'd rather have Semi truck,;) me too.
Meanwhile, Ford E before Tesla Y?

Update:
146,000 Preorders already? Let me guess,
could be the Pentagon procured the APC, aka, Cybrtrk. Think it through, she fits in our Nuclear powered aircraft carriers, Fully charged!, Better and cheaper than a Humvee, as ugly,..lol, no gas or oil aboard, can't rust,.hits the battlefield silently, no heat signature or exhaust, powers a railgun, Has K9 mode !, 5G connected to SpaceX Starlink global array, she will kick ass in Afghanistan,Iran,Iraq, Syria,. perhaps Mexico and Los Angeles.
Potus like at ten x the price, priceless!

I think it is more like a quarter million pre-orders now.

Even if some ppl are not serious, in this day and age it is impressive that a quarter million people actually have a spare $100.

I think it is more like a quarter million pre-orders now.

Even if some ppl are not serious, in this day and age it is impressive that a quarter million people actually have a spare $100.

A $25,000,000 interest free loan is nothing to sneeze at.

True, never thought about it like that. Since the trucks will not even launch until 2021 at the earliest, Tesla is making $3,000,000 in saved interest (if you figure the best loan they could get is 6% rate) in addition to the great advertising the pre-orders do.

Even better than a loan, it's a non-refundable deposit and probably half of the depositors won't follow through with a purchase. I'm sure Tesla would rather get the purchase but free money in any case.

Even better than a loan, it's a non-refundable deposit and probably half of the depositors won't follow through with a purchase. I'm sure Tesla would rather get the purchase but free money in any case.

These are actually refundable deposits.

Tesla

I have the same F-150 as the OP. 2018 and love it.

I will buy the F-150 E version when it is available. Done with fossil fuels.

Attachments

• 512AAF36-939A-40D2-A808-F9F332B9EAB9.jpeg
    512AAF36-939A-40D2-A808-F9F332B9EAB9.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 39

I believe that's the old policy, if you go through and try to place an order on their web site it's a $100 non-refundable order fee.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-return-exchange-deposit-policy-change/

Specifically, the company is revising its policies surrounding the return and exchange of its vehicles, as well as the way it handles customer deposits. With deposits, the company is nixing its policy of taking $1,000 refundable customer deposits. Instead, according to a report published Thursday by CNBC, it's dropping the cost of a deposit to just $100 and making that amount non-refundable.

Last edited:
I believe that's the old policy, if you go through and try to place an order on their web site it's a $100 non-refundable order fee.

You are both correct,..For the Mdl III pre production,. It WAS $1000 . , refundable. However Today, in production, order a Mdl III and you get it in weeks, so now its $100 non refundable.

However, For the Mdl Y the deposit is $2500. Refundable.

For the Roadster 2.0 I think it's $5K down on C.C., $45K wired within 10 days, and you're in.
Ditto For the Tesla Semi Truck.
But, smart individuals here know you must review your MVPA , motor vehicle purchase agreement carefully.

Its all about the Grin factor !!, And worth every penny!

I should open a Robinhood special account with $100 and see if I can turn it into enough to buy a baseline Cybertruck by 2022.

Lets see...I would need....only a 40,000% return in 2 years. So about 6% per week compounded for 104 weeks.

Seems doable.

Just noticed this...

Since you have brought it up numerous times, after I had moved on...To the poster who stated "you can't get a 35k Tesla" you were proven incorrect about that. ...

Yes, and did you notice I owned up to my mistake, once it was pointed out? It's not hard, really.

It was a more-than-honest mistake. I actually took the effort to go to Tesla's web site, to see if there was a $35,000 M3 for sale. I didn't want to rely on my memory, and be called out for that if I were wrong or things had been updated and I hadn't heard. There was no $35,000 on their site at the time. Seemed like a reasonable conclusion that they weren't selling them at that time. But it turns out you can get them if you call or go into a store. OK, you "got me"!

.... In post #109, you stated "going down a large grade in an EV with a near full battery is problematic." Nope. Not true. If you meant to say something else, fine. As written, false. ...

If after all the discussion on this, you still don't understand the difference between going down a long grade with a fully charged EV versus an ICE, then you never will. I re-read post #109, and I stand behind what I wrote, it is exactly what I meant. Check the full context ( a long, steep grade that would overheat unaided friction brakes to the point of failure). I will leave it at that.

-ERD50

Just noticed this...

Yes, and did you notice I owned up to my mistake, once it was pointed out? It's not hard, really.
After stating ‘I still don't see the promised $35,000 Model 3, and the tax credit is running out soon, raising the effective price by $7,500 over when that promise was made’ at least twice.

First you tried to say you knew all along, false. Then you whined, rationalized and qualified your mistake instead of just admitting you were wrong - that came much later. And you’re claiming it was off menu/not available on their website when you were shown it was available online at $35K briefly last Spring. You missed the $35K window, that’s your problem not Tesla’s.

Not hard? :LOL:

Not that anyone needs to bother re-reading.
RE: $35,000 M3 -

Yes, I was aware it was available for a short time, which is consistent with my "good luck in finding the truck at $39,900".

Though doing some searching, it appears you can buy a $35,000 M3 if you call them or go into a store, they just don't have it on their web site. I think there were some other 'downgrades' they did t make it less attractive, but $35,000 is $35,000. Tesla seems to be burying it, as I assume the profit margin (if any) isn't helping them. That's OK, but it's just not going to happen at the volumes all the EV sites were excited about when it was announced.

So yes, with the time frames on that truck, I suspect it will be a very long time, if ever, that you can buy one at $39,900. Or that it would be configured such that you would want to buy on at that price.

-ERD50

Well, at the time I wrote it I did not see it on the web site. And I still don't see it on the web site.

I think you are getting a little too specific with the wording. I think the common usage would include the following scenario:

A) A product is available for sale.

B) Later, the product is on back order.

C) Sometime later, I look again, and it is still on back order.

I think in common usage, a person wouldn't be questioned if they said the product is still not available. The fact that it was available in the past isn't applicable to that context.

Regardless, I was unaware that the $35,000 M3 is available through phone/store, so I was wrong about the availability anyhow. But how was I supposed to know it was an 'off-menu' item? Not being on their web site sure gives the impression it is not for sale. So either way, it is available. But the point remains, it took about 3 years from showing prototypes to delivering any $35,000 M3s at all. So yes, I still think "good luck in finding the truck at $39,900" applies. It will take a while, if ever.

-ERD50

And now, more rationalizing.
ERD50 said:
It was a more-than-honest mistake. I actually took the effort to go to Tesla's web site, to see if there was a $35,000 M3 for sale. I didn't want to rely on my memory, and be called out for that if I were wrong or things had been updated and I hadn't heard. There was no $35,000 on their site at the time. Seemed like a reasonable conclusion that they weren't selling them at that time. But it turns out you can get them if you call or go into a store. OK, you "got me"!

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking on a Cyber truck today I drive a 2006 Ridgeline to me is one of the best vehicles built . After 14 years and 185000 miles ( knock on wood ) everything works . I mean everything . To get the Ridge in tip top shape probably 2k . But the Cyber Truck interests me . You see my Honda is maintained 1st class and it is expensive. But a truck you don't have to flush your trans. , no belts . longer brake wear etc. And a price as good as a Ford F 150 . Ford F150 here starts at 34k , but when you go to the dealership none exists.
I like the 39,900 price but I really need to talk to a real owner . We visited the local Tesla dealer and it sounds too good to be true. We live 30 miles from the nearest charging station today , but were told plans are for more charging stations. Still I could charge here at home , so I don't see a real problem .

Last edited:
I still like my Silverado on those three day trips with or without the boat.

read this:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/12/cybertruck-headed-for-a-medium-duty-classification/

There’s many unknown aspects of the Tesla Cybertruck, not least of which is its curb weight, but a recent letter to the California Air Resources Board (CARB) reveals that Elon Musk’s retro-futuristic brainchild might have no business engaging in a one-on-one with the Ford F-150.

According to the letter, Tesla is pursuing a medium-duty classification for the triangular pickup, placing in in competition not with the F-150, but the F-250.

The document, seen by Automotive News, quotes Sarah Van Cleve, Tesla’s senior managing policy advisor, as saying, “While we have not yet begun production of the Cybertruck, we expect it to have a towing capacity of 7,500-14,000+ lbs., and it should very likely qualify as a ‘Class 2B-3 medium-duty vehicle.”

This will be a really big truck and not F150 style. I imagine it will suck electricity like a drunken sailor.

I know the truck wont be available for a couple years , but a Tesla sedan owner . All my friends own PU. Silverado is a fine truck , but still not an EV. When I visited the Tesla dealer . I sat in an X and it was nice , much nicer then the BMW SUV . The form fit was 1st class . But price 86000.00 seems like a lot to swallow . The guy at the dealership told me of earlier Teslas showing 900.000 miles and still function great. I remember as a kid my father saying 50,000 miles ….time to get rid of a car . Today I think 200,000 as a good mileage number . Most engines if maintained properly will do it . But the little things fail . Belts , starters , Power steering ball joints tie rods ETC .

The only way I'd ever consider owning a Tesla truck is if they gave it to me and then only long enough to find someone to buy it. Forget the charging issues, that's one ugly truck.

Back
Top Bottom