Thinking about a Tesla truck

I’m still thinking how to drive three days (2000-2500 miles) with my boat and trailer 😂

I know the truck wont be available for a couple years , but a Tesla sedan owner . All my friends own PU. Silverado is a fine truck , but still not an EV. When I visited the Tesla dealer . I sat in an X and it was nice , much nicer then the BMW SUV . The form fit was 1st class . But price 86000.00 seems like a lot to swallow . The guy at the dealership told me of earlier Teslas showing 900.000 miles and still function great. I remember as a kid my father saying 50,000 miles ….time to get rid of a car . Today I think 200,000 as a good mileage number . Most engines if maintained properly will do it . But the little things fail . Belts , starters , Power steering ball joints tie rods ETC .

Tesla does not have any “dealers”. All cars are sold directly by Tesla. In states where they are allowed to sell directly they have retail sales stores. In states where direct sales are prohibited they have “galleries” where you can look at a car but they are not allowed to discuss pricing or assist with placing orders.

If you would like to learn more about the Tesla experience I would recommend you visit www.teslamotorsclub.com. There are thousands of Tesla owners there who are very happy to share their experiences.

The truck is several years away so anything you can learn about the truck from Tesla or the community is just speculation. But the pricing and range they have quoted is realistic and Tesla if anything has been conservative in their range estimates. When I bought my Model 3 the range was 310 miles. Since then it has increased to 325 miles, and if I drive efficiently I can achieve closer to 400 miles of range. Alternatively if I push it to the limit my range can easily dip below 300.

The truck is several years away so anything you can learn about the truck from Tesla or the community is just speculation. But the pricing and range they have quoted is realistic and Tesla if anything has been conservative in their range estimates. When I bought my Model 3 the range was 310 miles. Since then it has increased to 325 miles, and if I drive efficiently I can achieve closer to 400 miles of range. Alternatively if I push it to the limit my range can easily dip below 300.

The recent letter to CARB is not speculation.

The mentioned pricing is an estimate.

Range and other specifications are preliminary as always.

The recent letter to CARB is not speculation.

The mentioned pricing is an estimate.

Range and other specifications are preliminary as always.

You can place a deposit on one today. When Tesla has taken deposits in the past on the Model X,S, and 3 they have always honored the prices that were quoted at the time the deposit was placed.

When the original Roadster came out they did not honor their pricing because the company was too new to know how much the cars would cost to build. So those owners did have to pay more than the originally promised price. But that was a decade ago and Tesla has been consistent in honoring their quoted price at the time the deposit was taken.

The same holds true for the range. Their range estimates have always been conservative and they have always come in at the higher end of their estimates on all cars produced after the Roadster. I see no reason why their truck would not come in at the estimated range. They have enough experience with their battery technology to know what to expect. If anything they will have 2-3 years to make their batteries even more efficient by the time they begin building the truck.

The cyber truck will likely not convert many traditional truck buyers who want something like an F150, just as those who prefer a Camry or Accord often overlook the Model 3 because it is not “traditional” enough for them. But a new market segment of people who previously never would have thought to buy a truck will consider the Cybertruck because it is so unique and non-truck like in it’s appearance, performance, and ecological advantages.

Continuing with the Silverado reference (substitute F150 if you desire).

The 425 HP normally aspirated V8 Silverado cruises at 75 mph very nicely with car type feel and comfort - usually 22-24 mpg non mountainous interstates.

With 8,000 pound boat/trailer ... mileage drops to 10-12 mpg, so I fill up twice as often. Adds at least one, maybe two 10 minute stops to a long day of 800 miles or so.

What happens with the Tesla truck in like circumstances?

The 425 HP normally aspirated V8 Silverado cruises at 75 mph very nicely with car type feel and comfort - usually 22-24 mpg non mountainous interstates.

With 8,000 pound boat/trailer ... mileage drops to 10-12 mpg, so I fill up twice as often. Adds at least one, maybe two 10 minute stops to a long day of 800 miles or so.

While there hasn’t been any published data on the effects of towing on range, the law of physics still apply here and I would expect to see a similar hit on range. And no doubt the recharge time on the battery is going to be substantially longer than the ten minutes it takes to fill up a gasoline tank. The Cybertruck is probably not the right solution for someone looking to do a significant amount of long distance travel while towing a heavy load.

When Tesla expands their availability of V3 superchargers it will help significantly. Those chargers can add 75 miles of range in five minutes. Still not as fast a gasoline fill up but getting much closer.

As I monitor the progress of Tesla products and impact in the marketplace, I see the interest in short haul “town” products.

However, even given this logic, I would always want the ability to run off fuel with a hybrid solution. I kinda like the concept where the charging engine is separate from the drive train.

Nothing, if the "Tesla" is what the Silverado is towing. :LOL:

Nothing, if the "Tesla" is what the Silverado is towing. :LOL:

For every truck towing a boat or horse trailer I see on the road, I see 500 spotless clean pavement princess pick-ups in the parking lot at Costco or Wal-Mart. For people doing real heavy duty "truck" work, these are likely not a solution. But for 95% of the truck buyers running around 'Murica, these should be great. Appearance is the subjective measure, but if the actual specs on this come in close to the announced ones, should sell like hotcakes..

For every truck towing a boat or horse trailer I see on the road, I see 500 spotless clean pavement princess pick-ups in the parking lot at Costco or Wal-Mart. For people doing real heavy duty "truck" work, these are likely not a solution. But for 95% of the truck buyers running around 'Murica, these should be great. Appearance is the subjective measure, but if the actual specs on this come in close to the announced ones, should sell like hotcakes..
As long as the Tesla can be jacked up and fitted with large, noisy tires, it will be fine for many truck drivers. :LOL:

Well, rocket, you completely destroyed my scenario, by estimating I am part of the 5%.

I would have guessed a larger number of work trucks in the 1/2 ton size.

Last edited:

Yes, I rarely see a truck actually towing anything in California. And the only thing I ever see in the bed is an unfortunate dog who apparently isn't allowed to ride in the back seat. Many people buy a truck simply because...it's a truck. No other logical reason, other than the once or twice a year they have to buy an oversized item that would not fit in a traditional car trunk.

But the same irrational logic applies to people who won't buy a Tesla sedan. They say it won't work for their long distance trips because they don't want to have to wait 30-45 minutes for the battery to recharge when a gas fill up takes less than ten minutes.

Then you ask them how often they use their vehicles for long distance travel...and they tell you once or twice a year.

My recent tow job with my 21 year old F150:

Move Corvair.jpg

A lot of us with pickups tow stuff in Texas, maybe not so in California.

Yes, I rarely see a truck actually towing anything in California. And the only thing I ever see in the bed is an unfortunate dog who apparently isn't allowed to ride in the back seat. Many people buy a truck simply because...it's a truck. No other logical reason, other than the once or twice a year they have to buy an oversized item that would not fit in a traditional car trunk.

But the same irrational logic applies to people who won't buy a Tesla sedan. They say it won't work for their long distance trips because they don't want to have to wait 30-45 minutes for the battery to recharge when a gas fill up takes less than ten minutes.

Then you ask them how often they use their vehicles for long distance travel...and they tell you once or twice a year.

Apparently you've never put a dog in the bed of a pickup. I've never owned a dog that didn't love riding in the bed.

+1

I have a 2011 truck with 80K miles on the odometer, about half of that while towing a 10K lb trailer.

One in every 5 miles on mine was a tow mile. Guessing another ten percent involved the need for high clearance and/or 4x4. But in California they never leave the pavement, tow, or fart.

My son-in-law is on his 2nd Tundra pickup. Never towed anything, but that will change. They just got a travel trailer.

That thing looks like a backyard project. I sold my 1996 Geo this year and bought a new half ton truck because of the many close calls with distracted drivers. What’s the sense of working hard and retiring early only to get snuffed out by someone texting?
Paying for more gas is cheap insurance.
40,000 traffic deaths
4.5 million injuries

One in every 5 miles on mine was a tow mile. Guessing another ten percent involved the need for high clearance and/or 4x4. But in California they never leave the pavement, tow, or fart.
I've had 4wd pickups since the mid 90's. Haul "something" several times a month. Tow "something" about once a month, maybe less. Off roading much more often than that. Of course this is Texas and I do live in the country. Heck, I even have a few places on my personal property that "require" high clearance and 4wd...

Last edited:
I think I've towed trailers maybe half a dozen times in the seventeen years I've owned the truck. The main reason I ordered the tow package was that I wanted the heavier-duty cooling system and separate transmission cooler. But it did come in handy when some family members were moving and I could tow a U-haul for them. (I have since made it clear that like a union truck driver, I will drive the truck but I don't touch the cargo.):)

I like the 4WD but again, it is rarely used. But when it is needed, nothing else will do and around here the hills mean that a couple of inches of snow mean that almost everything without 4WD is immobilized. And when you sell the truck 4WD is one of the few options that you can get back almost all of the cost.

That thing looks like a backyard project. I sold my 1996 Geo this year and bought a new half ton truck because of the many close calls with distracted drivers. What’s the sense of working hard and retiring early only to get snuffed out by someone texting?
40,000 traffic deaths
4.5 million injuries

Then, I think the Tesla truck will work for you. It is heavy, and built with hard shell. It would fare quite well in a collision with another vehicle.

I wonder if the Tesla truck might just flip a similar or smaller size oncoming vehicle. If the stainless steel exoskeleton is strong enough, the windshield actually becomes bulletproof in production, and you add some sort of cow catcher front bumper. It would be great for you, not so great for the oncoming vehicle that is flipped off to your side, myth busters style.

You just have to up the ante and get a F450. Curb weight is 8,600 lbs. Payload is 8,000 lbs, which allows you to add all kinds of reinforcement to make it like a Mad Max mobile.

Last edited:
40,000 traffic deaths
4.5 million injuries

Completely agree with this point about the traffic deaths/injuries. Thats why I bought a Model 3, which the NHSTA said was the safest they've tested in 7 years.

I also bought the 5000 pound Model X. The Tesla truck does look like it will be a safe place to be in an accident.

I saw Tesla stock is nearly at an all time high. The shorts are losing some serious money.

EV sales have now surpassed 4% in CA. I'm enjoying all the good news.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom