This forum is BAD for productivity...

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
since i've been a member of this forum, my productitivity at home and more important, at work have dropped so so bad that TW started to call me "lazy bum" and my collegues at work asked "what have you done for me lately?"

i love this forum. it's like having a girlfriend or something. i can sit read and day dream my life away... one hour at a time, sometime 2-3 hours too. what's going on? why is it ER so addictive? or perhaps, is it because i hate my job, or lazy, or bored.

i believe 50% of the people is this forum motivated by "hating what they do a living" not so much by ER. Maybe once you switch job and find a better career you won't so hurry to retire early.

what's your thought?

enuff

You know, i have been enough of a job-hopper to realize that you may win higher ay, more interesting work, etc., but it will most likely never be the same as not having to sell your time and life energy. Well, maybe if I had one of those jobs where I hardly had to do anything I didn't want to, got paid many millions of USD a year, corporate jet, attractive secretary with a history of winning hotdog eating contests, oetc. maybe it would be OK.

Oh yeah...I agree! I've been reading and reading other boards about "your money" too. It easily translates to 2 hours especially when I'm bored and no good/interesting news around.

The people here are more mature and experienced so I think it will be a more interesting readings. I myself am miles away from retirement.

I think it is less what you hate you are doing than it is what you would rather be doing that is a major attraction for ER. Sure some jobs are in a toxic environment; been there and done that. For me, the attraction to ER includes this an much more.

33 years of being in quality management in the pharma. industry takes a toll on your life and your body.

32 years in some level of mangement takes a toll on your mind and your ability to balance BS from human charity and kindness.

Buring the candle at both ends and the middle dulls the spirit and keeps you away from the very life that you are working so hard to make for your family. The hours lost to working instead of being with your family is lost forever.

On the positive side....
ER a fresh start at a life without working for a wage. It is a chance for me and DW to take more than a one week vacation where we frequently get phone calls from work so we never have a clean break from the corporate leash.

We have some activities we want to do for the community and for our kids. We want some real quality time together and to travel when and where we want. We want to see things on trips we used to just speed past on our way to the next place we needed to be in a defined amount of time. We want to read the road plaques, take the road less traveled, get off the interstate highway and see how people in the areas we visit live each day. We want to eat in small town cafes and not Denney's or Waffel Houses. We want to stay in BnBs and not the Holiday Inn. We want to learn what we can about the people and their life way beyond the average tourist who see the "locals" as lazy, backward and slow minded. We want to photograph our travels and document both nature and people.

We see ER as a change to rest, to recharge to detoxify, to re-educate our minds and bodies to prepare for a new life; our next phase in life. ER is not the begining of the end...it is the start of the begining of the rest of your life unencumbered with the need to work a 8-5 job. Having the freedom of not being responsible to a work boss is a liberating experience.

Being responsible for what you do every day as Nords says, is whole new mindset. Some folks have no trouble filling the hours and are tired and happy at the end of the day. Others may find it boring because the foreced structure of time budgetiing is no longer done for you. That can be scarry for some people. Being responsible for your own entertainment and self motivation can be a double edged sword.

We see ER as our Golden Ticket to Wonka land. There is a life of wonder and imiganation beyond the cold wals painted in Corporate beige that are filled with one-way windows for managment to see the workers future with out being detected. We expect to see some marvelous things and to do thinks we have not yet dreamed of.

We also see ER as a way to get to know help our kids and grandkids in ways we never could while working 12 hour days. We want to create good memories and to present ourselves as good examples of what can be done starting with nothing and ending in FI and ER.

Our lagacy will be our memories of things done, seen, experienced, given and recevied in non-material ways.

For now, it is a goal and a date. After that dates no longer matter.

Ditto.

Personally, I am effing tired right now. Could put my head down on the desk for a few hours quite easily. Happens every week at about Thursday and lasts until I get a chance to sleep in/take it easy for at least one weekend day (which sometimes takes a few weeks :dead:). This is when I am 32. Can't imagine what it would be like at 50 or 60.

Enuff2Eat said:
i love this forum... i can sit read and day dream my life away... one hour at a time, sometime 2-3 hours too. what's going on? why is it ER so addictive? ...

i believe 50% of the people is this forum motivated by "hating what they do a living" not so much by ER. Maybe once you switch job and find a better career you won't so hurry to retire early.
I like what SteveR said.

Steve does a great job describing the appear of ER for me and many others. But I don't think that is why this forum is so addictive. When I read the subject I assumed this would be a tongue in cheek post pointing out that the forum is too darn engaging and is getting him in trouble at w*rk. The reality is that this is a very engaging blog. Lots of good investment experience here. Lots of good life experience both work and ER. A diversity of opinion on a lot of topics.

It is a bit like an on-going college bull session. I missed a lot of classes because I stayed up all night engaged in those bull sessions - there is no question that they reduced my GPA. But that aspect of college sticks with me as one of the most positive. For the same reason, I don't feel like I am "wasting" time reading this forum.

As to 50% of the readers here hating what they do for a living, that may be about right. It would not be surprising that an ER forum would draw a higher percentage of disgruntled workers than the workforce average. For those of you who are disgruntled young dreamers, the advice to look for another job is a good one - but keep working on FI in any event.

I think the forum is addictive because it has some frequent posters that are good at cutting through the b.s. Some are pretty funny, too. 8)

Yep..... I agree with Turbo Beagle, I've learned some interesting information here as well as getting a good chuckle now and then. Do I check here too often during the day, you betcha but I'm the boss, I can do that.

I started monitoring this forum sometime during this last year. I would guess that many of the folks like to hear from others that there is a possible happy end to the tread wheel we seem to be on. DW ER'ed 2 years ago because we could afford it and that also increases my desire to ER. If I can hang on to 55 then a pension plus life insurance and hopefully over a million in investments will give us a nice retirement. I just got back from 2 weeks in Europe on business and I go again for a week in 7 days time otherwise I would spend more time on the forum. (I spend about 30% of my time away at present).

This forum is GOOD for productivity. In fact, this board is mostly about productivity.

Be productive, you get to RE
LBYM (being productive), you get to RE
Invest wisely, you get to RE

Now get back to work. Time for me to go check the productive crab traps.

I'm very productively drinking coffee and watching a 16 month old drive an electric car around the living room.

Back
Top Bottom