This Market Is Crazy - What do Y'all Think???

Golden sunsets

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I mean..... As of 2 PM on 9/2, my investments are up mid five figures for the month of September and we only have 47% in Equities. I've blown past my goal for year end. Those who are fully invested, must be riding high!!!

I think we are in the eye of the hurricane. But what do I know? :confused:

I'll stick with the market prediction attributed to JP Morgan, which I have always found to be accurate: "It will fluctuate."

Same here....

I adjusted our AA from 37% stock to 32%. Nice six figure chunk that was shoveled into the stable value fund. We'll see when/if the wind blows...

Calm during the storm or not. We've spent some money this year and still have the same balances. I'm certain that will change.

I am constantly amazed, comforted and terrified all at the same time: there are very smart economists with decades of experience and solid backgrounds. Some say we're on the edge of a cliff, and some say that we have a rock solid future ahead. I generally have a very positive outlook - yes, we may take some hits, but it will always come back.

Markets do be crazy.

I got invited 4 years ago, pre election, to a Schwab seminar that was going to prepare for moves before election. I'm a gullible sort so I didn't go. But have always wondered what was said. I stayed fully invested.

Truly believe there are No "experts"

I am constantly amazed, comforted and terrified all at the same time: there are very smart economists with decades of experience and solid backgrounds. Some say we're on the edge of a cliff, and some say that we have a rock solid future ahead.

I guess that means we have a rock solid cliff ahead:D

based on the price of OSB (now $30 a sheet, from $10 a sheet) I think the market still has a lot of room to run. We are entering high inflation and just don't realize it yet.

My belief is that as long as The Fed supplies cheap money, depressing the returns of fixed income, equities are the only way to keep ahead of inflation. My main fund is with a discount broker and is 65% equities. I don't spend it so am able to tolerate a downdraft. I do spend the dividends.

The other two are retirement funds (much smaller), one is 85% the other 50% equities. They are always advising me to cut back and almost always been wrong.

I hope I'm wrong, but sometimes I think the higher you fly, the further you have to fall.

Meanwhile since posting this thread at 2PM, up yet again significantly, although it pulled back a little bit in the last minutes of trading. Profit taking, I imagine.

I agree - no way the market will sustain this much destruction of many key industries in the long term. We ain't seen nothin' yet

Yep. I'm up for the year despite having made my usual withdrawals, plus extra to replace my car. I pretty much stayed the course during the craziness but sold a few things less likely to profit form a recovery and bought others that would. I'd been at 70% equities, now at 60% and I'm more comfortable with that.

One advisor I know says he has clients in their mid-40s who sold it all in April. He's been trying to contact them about getting back in They won't return his calls.

Secular bull.

I least some of us stayed in it to enjoy the ride for a little longer. I am up in whole numbers $700,000 since October of last year. I was also down $500,000 YTD at one point in March. Wild ride.

My belief is that as long as The Fed supplies cheap money, depressing the returns of fixed income, equities are the only way to keep ahead of inflation. My main fund is with a discount broker and is 65% equities. I don't spend it so am able to tolerate a downdraft. I do spend the dividends.

The other two are retirement funds (much smaller), one is 85% the other 50% equities. They are always advising me to cut back and almost always been wrong.

Yeah my credit union savings account had lower monthly dividends for August vs. July, even though my balance was higher in August.

Interest rates are scrapping the bottom.

Meanwhile, savings rates are very high, maybe all-time high. There are stories about some lower-wage workers being able to put away their $600 a month unemployment benefit for the pandemic, having some savings for the first time in their lives.

Of course that will go away.

But there's a lot of money in search of returns.

Doesn't mean there won't be a pullback. Economic recovery probably aren't going to be as quick as people would hope for. Airlines are about to put thousands on furlough at the end of this month if they don't get another bailout.

I'm just happy that we aren't having those up 1%, down 1.5%, up 1% days.

I stayed fully invested during the market drop and now my accounts are at all-time highs. It’s a great feeling but one that is tempered by fear that market valuations are not supported by the underlying economy.

The “Buffett Indicator,” which is total market value divided by GDP stands at more than 200%, which is 67% higher than the historical average and indicates the market is strongly overvalued.

http://www.currentmarketvaluation.com

That said, I don’t have any plans to change my 70/30 asset allocation. I’m in stocks for the long haul and I guess I’ll just enjoy this ride until the next drop.

For whatever it's worth:

I listened to a Fidelity market update webinar today. Their analysts think we are now in the beginning stages of the next/current business cycle expansion.

They also pointed out that some industries hit hardest by COVID are a small part of the S&P 500 (such as airlines), while some industries heavily weighted in the index have benefited from COVID (such as software).

Back
Top Bottom