Thoughts to start off 2015

Bryan Barnfellow

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Dear FIRE friends,

I came across these two quotes today and thought I would share them as a kind of inspiration/re-affirmation for what we are all about. Replace "Man" with "Mankind" in the first one so that we include all FIRE friends.

"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” – Dalai Lama

"Money can buy a house, but not a home. It can buy a bed, but not sleep. It can buy a clock, but not time. It can buy a book, but not knowledge. It can buy blood, but not health, so you see; money is not everything in life."
- Unknown

Wishing us all a happy and healthy new year and enough money to allow us focus on the things that truly matter.

-BB

"Nobody said on their death bed they wish they had spent more time at work"

"Enjoy your life and retirement, if you don't your heirs will"

"Work to live, don't live to work"

Nice quotes, Bryan. Thanks for sharing!

I ran across this on FB a few months ago. It's a one-size-fits-all message.
I have it posted in my kitchen so I see it everyday.

Attachments

• SnoopyCharliePeacefulLife.jpg
    SnoopyCharliePeacefulLife.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 44
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” – Dalai Lama

"Never confuse your career with your life" - Dave Barry.

That one really changed my attitude at work about 15 years ago. Too many people define themselves by their career - and don't have a life outside of their career.

I agree with all of the above as they apply to those who have/had discretionary income and chose whether or not to live below their means. But it's also important to remember that this is not a choice for many people in the US, and probably a majority of the people on the globe. They need every penny they earn just to support themselves and their families, and "discretionary income" doesn't enter the picture.

Roger, very good reminder. We are all extraordinarily lucky to have been born at all -- in that sense we won the truly big lottery. Then, those of us who can even contemplate the possibility of retiring early, even given all our own hard work, sacrifice, and discipline, are yet extraordinarily lucky indeed.

Thanks.

-BB

Not much to add to what Dalai Lama said. It's so true to many of us.

As for me, it's time for "Don't Worry, Be Happy" made famous by Bobby McFerrin. Splurge while I can, and make the best of OMY.

May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art-write or draw, or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself. -Neil Gaiman

This one has been pinned at my work for a few years.getting closer every day!:dance:

Wishing us all a happy and healthy new year and enough money to allow us focus on the things that truly matter.
This one has been pinned at my work for a few years.getting closer every day!:dance:
Thought provoking quote and pleasant sentiment, but the Dalai Lama never said it. Most research strongly suggests the original message was penned by the late James (Jim) Brown – pen name James J. Lachard, it's an excerpt from his unpublished "An Interview with God." FWIW

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom