Thrifty Gal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh. ER. The place to come to see sexist comments and snide remarks about those who ER.

At least not in the way that they ERed.

<mod edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think she is living on $1500 a month while seeing those places. There is no substance to that claim in the puff piece. Maybe a one/two bedroom condo in suburban Chicago. But not much of an article then.

I'm also skeptical, but it might be possible, depending on where she visits. Looking at Airbnb, you can find lodging for $500 for four weeks in Rio/Thailand/Netherlands. Keep food/travel costs low and you're good.

I doubt it's sustainable. Eventually you'll get burned out and want to stay longer. But even then, if she picked a place like Chiang Mai, she'd be able to live comfortably off of $1500/month and have a good community of expats.

Plus, she also has blog revenue. She could do the nomadic traveling with the blog for a few years and let her portfolio grow while she makes/saves more money. When she really stops, she'll probably find that she can afford to spend more.

At that point, she might even want to settle down. She could end up like Jeremy and Winnie from gocrackercurry.

All in all, not a bad life.

I don't think she is living on $1500 a month while seeing those places. There is no substance to that claim in the puff piece. Maybe a one/two bedroom condo in suburban Chicago. But not much of an article then.

Young women can be pole dancers and young men can be waiters, but such discussions do not belong here.

Traveling the world can be done cheaply if you try.

There are youth hostels all over the place. How about a Eurail pass? Cook your own food. Do your own laundry in a sink. We did this on a cruise and we did this in Iceland. In Iceland the sink was too small so I used a gallon sized plastic bag for socks and underwear.

Iceland is expensive. Many young people were camping and hitchhiking their way around the country. We ended up buying bread mustard and meat in stores rather than subject ourselves to daily pricey restaurant meals. Two weeks ago in Reykjavik I woke up at 4AM to a conversation on the sidewalk outside our hotel, peered out and saw two young men with fishing poles and a plastic grocery store bag carrying enough fish for two days of meals walking up the street. I'm sure they did this frequently.

Regarding the sexism in some of the comments, I agree they have no place here. Sugar Daddy? Really? From what century did that come from?

We women here in this forum pride ourselves on our independence and own financial savvy, just as the men do. And every other way we divide ourselves up. So clearly does the lawyer in the article. Depending on another person for our survival is just not in the cards for us FIRE folks, whatever our age and gender. It is not financially INDEPENDENT.

Senator, please walk back the comments. Who but you cares if she is attractive? Very few physically fit people under age 35 are unattractive. So what? Are you suggesting that a lawyer who can command a high six figure salary lower herself to trading sex for financial support she doesn't need? That makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Geez, let's not be over sensitive. I'm a 58 YO female and am getting a bit fatigued with how careful everyone has to be in speaking and writing. I put up with a lot of "sexist" remarks while working as a waitress at 16 and then working in many male dominated jobs throughout my career. I felt it helped me to grow a thicker skin and become a better judge of people. I'm equally comfortable with men and women.

As far as the articles being compared, I believe they will both be back in the workplace at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

There are many advantages a [-]woman [/-] man has over a [-]guy [/-] woman in this situation. If $24K is not enough, [-]s[/-] he can always [-]get a sugar daddy[/-] become a gigolo. At least for the next ~12 years or so.

Fixed it for you. Now it's offensive to the other gender.

Actually, I don't find that offensive at all. And that's the inherent fault with subjective generalizations.

But back on topic - I'm sure she's able to do what she's currently doing on $2K a month. How long she'll be able to continue doing it without encountering one or more of life's many unpredictable expenses is uncertain.

Article is published in the UK daily mail! :rolleyes:

I wonder how many of those pictures of her in exotic places have been Photoshopped:confused:?

(nah, just believe those British tabloid papers!) :LOL:

Actually, I don't find that offensive at all. And that's the inherent fault with subjective generalizations.

But back on topic - I'm sure she's able to do what she's currently doing on $2K a month. How long she'll be able to continue doing it without encountering one or more of life's many unpredictable expenses is uncertain.

I agree Looking...I didn't view it as offensive either (ya, ok, Im a guy my opinion doesn't matter). But your key point was "subjective generalization" which I think has considerable merit to it.
So put me on the Gallows with Senator where I rightfully belong....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it was that easy for a guy, I do not think women would have near the competition in the work force. We would be doing that from day one, as soon as we turned 18...:dance:

Young women can be pole dancers and young men can be waiters, but such discussions do not belong here.

I agree. And criticizing women or men who do those professions does not either. When you think these positions degrade a person, it degrades all of the people that have chosen those professions. Although that was not what I suggested.

I know a girl that works ~6 hours a week, and makes ~$90K a year. Mostly tax free...

Last edited:
I agree Looking...I didn't view it as offensive either (ya, ok, Im a guy my opinion doesn't matter). But your key point was "subjective generalization" which I think has considerable merit to it.
So put me on the Gallows with Senator where I rightfully belong....
Don't worry about it Mulligan, the mods will be along shortly to put a swine finish to this thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom