Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #161
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyfrombrooklyn View Post
I am thinking F is a great buy at $4. With them getting ready for electric mustangs this may be the deal of the century.

What service does everyone use to buy stocks anyway.
Sold at average $5.71 for a decent gain on the play. Now wish I had bought 10,000.

I use Fidelity.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 10:26 AM   #162
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
F F, piece of crap company doesn't honor warranty. Hope they go bankrupt twice.
I've seen your numerous anti F posts. It sucks you had such a bad experience. I have owned Fords my whole life, never issues.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
I've seen your numerous anti F posts. It sucks you had such a bad experience. I have owned Fords my whole life, never issues.
I was a Ford guy, heck I currently own two new Fords. I can't believe the way they treated us, especially lying about how we were stuck in a ditch and had to be towed out of a ditch. We even got a letter from the tow truck driver stating he towed the vehicle from a flat paved road.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #164
Full time employment: Posting here.

People need to consider that every politician and every professional money person is highly motivated to put the most optimistic spin on the future. Their own success depends on this.

If I were to consider buying now it would only be individual companies I thorough evaluate myself. Not funds.

Look at what people do, not what they say.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #165

I just added to my position in CitiGroup. Don’t plan on any more purchases since I want to keep some cash liquid and stable.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

I just picked up some TDG for $341.625 I missed it last week when it got down to $302 and then shot up to $402 a couple of days later. If it goes down I'll buy more later.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

I just picked up some Vanguard FTSE Pacific ETF (VPL).
WyomingLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #168

Dripping into aggressive small cap funds. Not much at a time, but someday they will be rocket fuel.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #169

Bought 82 shares of SPG in my Roth today at 50.75. A limit order was filled.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
I've been adding National Health Investors, Inc. (NHI) REIT

It was 90$ less than a month ago & trading at $40 today.

(no, it didn't split)

Thanks for the tip! My gain so far with this purchase is 38%.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #171

So far my purchases of V 14%, WMT 12%, NHI 37%, C 14% and CMG 48% have done well. My only loss has been DIS -18% which I still think will do well in the long run.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I’m 63, so still see long term for half of my portfolio. The market may go down more, but it’s easier to catch a good buy on the way down than it is on the way up, IMO. I expect the market to rise sharply when see the turnaround point in this virus scare. It may not rise back to its former high for a while, but it will rise sharply. Airlines and cruise lines will continue to have a tough road, but some industries are way oversold.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
Wednesday, I used 8% of cash to buy Fidelity S&P Index and Vanguard Total Market.

Today, I started small positions in Prudential and PPL, which look very cheap.

I decided to start putting cash to work when the drop was 25-30%, then every drop of about 5%, put another 3-5% to work. Hopefully we hit bottom before I run out of cash. I'm keeping at least 20-25% of my cash position (it was 30%) for the next two year's withdrawals. I took 2019 gains in Jan and Feb, so the cash position was unusually high and my stock allocation was close to 40%, which is too low.
Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

On the upside, our retirement portfolio is about the same in total as when we retired 8 years ago after funding 8 5 years of living expenses plus buying a winter condo (10% of retirement date balance) and replacing our one-car garage with a two-car garage with a bonus loft (2.5% of retirement date balance)... so we are still well positioned... about 14% ahead of where I projected we would be at this time when we retired.
Same here; just a few less years in retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I'm thinking of this as a "time-out" to reassess our risk appetite and AA going forward and once that is decided, how to catch that falling knife without getting cut.
You catch it with a big solid board (aka: the remainder of your portfolio)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toocold View Post
Would anybody like to guess whether the market will be a V or a W?
Irrelevant for me. Don’t need the $$$ for 5+/- yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
People need to consider that every politician and every professional money person is highly motivated to put the most optimistic spin on the future. Their own success depends on this.

If I were to consider buying now it would only be individual companies I thorough evaluate myself. Not funds.

Look at what people do, not what they say.
I’m exactly the opposite; I’d rather invest/bet on the whole market than take the concentrated risk of choosing a few stocks. (Note my second sig line).

I rebalanced then put 5% of portfolio (tax advantaged) in SPXL 3 weeks ago. I don’t need those funds for 5+/- yrs. Now, I’ll see how it does. But, honestly, I’m not that worried about 5%.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #173

Reassuring to read this Buffet advice in a CNBC article today.

[excerpt]

[Still, there is one stock market bet that Buffett did not waver on this weekend. He believes that the average investor should buy a broad stock market index fund for a long period of time instead of following the advice of stock pickers.*

"In my view, for most people, the best thing to do is owning the S&P 500 index fund," Buffett said at Berkshire's annual meeting. "If you bet on America and sustain that position for decades, you'd do far better than buying Treasury securities, or far better than following people* ... Perhaps with a bias, I don't believe anyone knows what the market is going to do tomorrow, next week, next month, next year," Buffett said.

But in the long run, "nothing can basically stop America," he told Berkshire shareholders. ]
Old 05-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Reassuring to read this Buffet advice in a CNBC article today.

[excerpt]

[Still, there is one stock market bet that Buffett did not waver on this weekend. He believes that the average investor should buy a broad stock market index fund for a long period of time instead of following the advice of stock pickers.*

"In my view, for most people, the best thing to do is owning the S&P 500 index fund," Buffett said at Berkshire's annual meeting. "If you bet on America and sustain that position for decades, you'd do far better than buying Treasury securities, or far better than following people* ... Perhaps with a bias, I don't believe anyone knows what the market is going to do tomorrow, next week, next month, next year," Buffett said.

But in the long run, "nothing can basically stop America," he told Berkshire shareholders. ]

I still believe you need to look at the fundamentals of a company, and I think so does he since he sold off all his airline stocks. Buying an S&P fund still includes companies that may not be in a good place financially.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:59 PM   #175
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I still believe you need to look at the fundamentals of a company, and I think so does he since he sold off all his airline stocks. Buying an S&P fund still includes companies that may not be in a good place financially.
Which would be fine at a knock down price. At extremely high multiples, not so much.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:34 PM   #176
Recycles dryer sheets

On 03-24-2020, 05:45 PM - I suggested buying TNA & SPXL. Still holding onto those positions, up about 120% so far. Will exit at about $40 on both probably. Hope someone took the advice!
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post
On 03-24-2020, 05:45 PM - I suggested buying TNA & SPXL. Still holding onto those positions, up about 120% so far. Will exit at about $40 on both probably. Hope someone took the advice!

I don’t buy anything leveraged. I’ve done well enough with my picks.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Bought my daughter a brand new 2014 Focus. What a piece of s..t.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

Did the same (SPXL) on the same day with what I’ll call a “meaningful” portion of my portfolio. I’m still finalizing my exit strategy. I’d like to hear why $40 is your exit strategy.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #180

Picked up some NEWT this morning at $13.43. Bought some back in March at $12.68. Wasn't trying to time the market but it just happened that cash was available during the downturn. Pays quarterly dividends. Forward annual yield 13%.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote