Turbo Tax - Deluxe or Premier

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK -so, I’m a bit late ;-)

Have always used Deluxe ...no major issues.

Have a few rental properties, couple of types of income, stocks, bonds, and mutual funds.

The write up for Deluxe has always been absent much discussion on rental properties, but it worked just fine doing depr citation schedules and forms.

The Premier version talks up handling rental properties.

Anyone done their rentals for 2017 with Deluxe?

If you have an LLC, I think you need Premier to handle K-1"s.

I have used TT Deluxe for years. Worked when I had a rental property and also works for my single member LLC. Have had a variety of K-1's over the years and it works with them as well.

Yes, I do too different returns that include rental property on Schedule E with Deluxe... no problem.

Premier helps for the drudgery of dealing with ESPP, NQSO or ISO options. It can be done on Deluxe with some hand twiddling, but I prefer to just let Premier handle it.

Otherwise, not sure it is very useful. I'll probably drop back to Deluxe once I'm retired.

Gah - so, now, I can’t even find a Deluxe version with state at the local places with their normal discount.

Fidelity has a $20 off, but it doesn’t look like it has state ...

Any suggestions?

OK - looks like I can just buy and download through Amazon - anyone done this before? $45 looks like best I’m gonna get.

OK - looks like I can just buy and download through Amazon - anyone done this before? $45 looks like best I’m gonna get.

Yeah. Had to download some type of installer from the AMZN download center but otherwise worked fine. I think the online versions are cheaper but I prefer the laptop version.

Sunset,

Does the HRB read the TT file format - did all forms and computations for things like rental property depreciation work ok?

Sunset,

Does the HRB read the TT file format - did all forms and computations for things like rental property depreciation work ok?

Honestly with 6 days left to the filing deadline, if you are a TT user, I'd stick with it. Last thing you need is some hiccup and uncertainty in the software slowing you down.

I did my conversion when I had lots of time to work out issues.

My tax situation is: stock div's, capital gains L & S, stock option trades, interest, rental income, expenses and depreciations, self employment income and expenses, foreign tax credit.

The parts I think HRB should handle better is:

1. foreign tax credit over $600 - it's automatic for under $600, but over and they want you fill out the form directly with little guidance.

1. stock option reporting - it has you fill out the fields in a weird way, and should hide that by being able to select a radio button and fill the fields normally (like a stock buy and sell).

Thanks, Sunset,

Good point ... especially given my luck yesterday -

Was going to download yesterday morning and found my 2017 MacBook Pro with a flashing question mark - after extensive troubleshooting, apparently the internal drive is no longer communicating with the computer side ....it goes in for repair tomorrow. Could be the solid state drive or wiring.

Will have to use wife’s device to get through this year.

Thanks, Sunset,

Good point ... especially given my luck yesterday -

Was going to download yesterday morning and found my 2017 MacBook Pro with a flashing question mark - after extensive troubleshooting, apparently the internal drive is no longer communicating with the computer side ....it goes in for repair tomorrow. Could be the solid state drive or wiring.

Will have to use wife’s device to get through this year.

This happened to me and ended up causing a big headache. DS miraculously spilled a full glass of water on my laptop. It had last year's files. I hotswapped the drive to copy the files, but apparently I forgot the important .tax file and only copied the pdfs. Long story short, fat fingered not one but two things incorrectly and now the IRS has me in some security review process. Yay. At least it was DWs taxes, so she's not mad at me either. ;) I blame it on sonny boy. Laptop never did fire again.

DS miraculously spilled a full glass of water on my laptop.

Nothing miraculous about it.
I've spilled water, coffee, beer, even hot chocolate on my keyboard. It's not as hard as you might think!
:cool: :LOL:

Just bought Deluxe plus one state through Amazon ...easy, fast download (30 seconds) ...unpackaged in a minute ...updated (30 seconds) ... another minute to unpack ...all done.

Picked up copy of last year’s tax return on hard drive (2 seconds ...)

Now the icky part.

Back
Top Bottom