Comparing TurboTax Deluxe and H&R Block Deluxe

Interesting thread Joe.
Thanks.

I've used TurboTax deluxe, or it's equivalent, since 1999 when Fidelity gave me a free copy.

For 2020, I decided to give H&R a try because TT would have required an OS upgrade on my Mac.
(Someone already mentioned that TT is 'bloated' I'm guessing this is proof)

The ease of data entry is superior to TT in my opinion. I'll most likely use it again in 2021. I chose not to include my drivers license info when requested.
Not sure how having that info included on your return would make it more secure ?

I did have one problem. When the return was complete, I decided to e-file both state & federal. I'm sure some of you will find this humorous, but this is the first time I haven't sent a paper return through the mail.

About 5 minutes later, it said the federal return had been accepted. The state was still pending. I assigned a password, & closed it down. About an hour later, I received an email showing the state return had been accepted as well.

Shortly after, I tried to open the return, but couldn’t. I'm 99.99% sure I had the right password because it's the same one I’ve used for my iMac’s since 2008.

I enter the password 3 times, & after that, it takes me to this screen.
29143-albums238-picture2381.png

When I try to ‘open return’ I again have to enter the password 3 times, but I just end up on the same page pictured above.

I was able to back up a copy of the return in PDF form. (non password protected) before I ran into the problem.

As mentioned earlier, this is the first year I've e-filed. Does the fact that both returns were accepted, mean that everything is good to go ?

I ask because at this time, it doesn't look like I’m going to be able to access that return, & if there's any changes to be made, I'd have to do it over again.

Interesting thread Joe.
Thanks.

I've used TurboTax deluxe, or it's equivalent, since 1999 when Fidelity gave me a free copy.

For 2020, I decided to give H&R a try because TT would have required an OS upgrade on my Mac.

I did have one problem. When the return was complete, I decided to e-file both state & federal. I'm sure some of you will find this humorous, but this is the first time I haven't sent a paper return through the mail.

Shortly after, I tried to open the return, but couldn’t. I'm 99.99% sure I had the right password because it's the same one I’ve used for my iMac’s since 2008.

I enter the password 3 times, & after that, it takes me to this screen.

When I try to ‘open return’ I again have to enter the password 3 times, but I just end up on the same page pictured above.

I was able to back up a copy of the return in PDF form. (non password protected) before I ran into the problem.

As mentioned earlier, this is the first year I've e-filed. Does the fact that both returns were accepted, mean that everything is good to go ?

I ask because at this time, it doesn't look like I’m going to be able to access that return, & if there's any changes to be made, I'd have to do it over again.

I'm confused, are you doing this online ?
If so, I wouldn't be using my computer password for the online account, I'd use a new password.

If you are not online, then I'm surprised as I've never used a password with H&R on my computer.

Good news for you, is you could possibly use the PDF to do your taxes next year, for the import of data. (maybe even another copy with new name of this years could be started using the PDF but I doubt it.)

I'm confused, are you doing this online ?

If you are not online, then I'm surprised as I've never used a password with H&R on my computer.

Good news for you, is you could possibly use the PDF to do your taxes next year, for the import of data.
No, I'm not doing it online. Download version of H&R Block deluxe.

I've always used a password for the tax returns I do on my PC/MAC.
Maybe I'm too concerned with security, but my thinking is that if someone ever did gain access to my PC/Mac, why make it easier for them to gain access to your tax return (personal info/Social Security# Etc) by not applying a password ?

Importing the information from the previous year isn't that big a deal for me.
At this time, my taxes are fairly simple. My only income is from my pension, (manually enter) & whatever dividends, interest, & capitol gains are realized from a taxable brokerage account (download from Fidelity)

No, I'm not doing it online. Download version of H&R Block deluxe.

I've always used a password for the tax returns I do on my PC/MAC.
Maybe I'm too concerned with security, but my thinking is that if someone ever did gain access to my PC/Mac, why make it easier for them to gain access to your tax return (personal info/Social Security# Etc) by not applying a password ?

Importing the information from the previous year isn't that big a deal for me.
At this time, my taxes are fairly simple. My only income is from my pension, (manually enter) & whatever dividends, interest, & capitol gains are realized from a taxable brokerage account (download from Fidelity)

Interesting, I never knew that H&R had a password protection.

I use linux, so my entire hard drive is encrypted, it is calming to the mind to know if someone stole my machine while we are out, that they won't be able to read it at all.

I use a Windows machine for the H&R and copy off (and delete) the files once I'm done taxes and store them on my linux machine, as the windows machine is used for travel.

I switched to H&R a few years ago, after using TT would have required updating my MacOS. I think the TT UI was a bit friendlier, but have no issues with H&R.

I also use the downloaded software and password protect my return file. It's sometimes prompted me to enter the password 2x, never more than that, to open the return, and I've never ended up stuck at that initial screen. I always assumed 2 times because fed and state were both separately protected, but maybe not.

In any case, you are right, showing accepted for both returns should mean you're all set. You should have gotten email from H&R when the returns were accepted. Also, you may be able to verify online that the return is done--the official acceptance of my state return took a few days after submitting, but when I logged into my state's online services account, it showed that it had been received and the payment was pending before H&R showed that it was done.

TT failed on Federal e-file multiple times.The reported error was for 1116. Found out in the TT forums that others solved the issue by not electing simplified the method for AMT calculation. This solved it. According to somebody in the forums TT hadn't implemented a workaround for an IRS mistake. I haved e filed 4 other returns with no problems including one with a small fereign tax credit.

TT failed on Federal e-file multiple times.The reported error was for 1116. Found out in the TT forums that others solved the issue by not electing simplified the method for AMT calculation. This solved it. According to somebody in the forums TT hadn't implemented a workaround for an IRS mistake. I haved e filed 4 other returns with no problems including one with a small fereign tax credit.

And TT raised the state e-file price to $25, while HRB is still $20. And the price rise occurred Mar 1, right when people were struggling with filing due to various TT bugs. Yes, TT, not IRS. I'm speaking primarily of their 8606 problem which HRB didn't seem to have.

I ranted a bit about this on another thread and want to take back some of the nice things I said about TT. Given the bugs, given the price rise, I'm gonna back down my praise and call it a "tie" at best with HRB primed to take the lead if this kind of trend continues.

I've used Intuit tax products for a very long time. I've used Intuit to prepare over 500 returns. H&R gave me a nice completion certificate when I attended a classroom course in 2013 or so. My opinions aren't worth much...but year to year complete reviews are respectable.

1. Users develop a strong preference for their chosen tax program, and tend to stay with that. This makes a lot of sense, since you require very little time to install and acclimate. But what works for one may not be the best fit for others.
2. Each year there are software glitches. Quality testing of each release is not 100%, and that's a sad fact. There are always a number of complaints, with some users swearing they will dump one product or the other.
3. With any critical app you need to keep up with developments and scuttlebutt about the software. A dedicated user forum can help quite a bit. This can be built in to the interface, and is useful to answer many questions.
4. The cost for these products is not much, so a difference in cost means very little when you've invested years in learning one solution.
5. Each year there are last minute tax law changes, and clarifications to be included in updates. Financial institutions also make errors and amend year-end reports. For some filers it may work better in the long run to exercise some patience and hold off on submitting.

5. Each year there are last minute tax law changes, and clarifications to be included in updates. Financial institutions also make errors and amend year-end reports. For some filers it may work better in the long run to exercise some patience and hold off on submitting.

AAA+++
Before I retired a little over 5 years ago, if someone had mentioned high deductible health care plans, income cliffs, HSA's, etc, I would've stared at them like a deer in the headlights :)

Now that I've learned to 'play the game', even though I'm chomping at the bit to get started on my taxes ASAP, I don't do them until March @ the earliest.

Back
Top Bottom