Turbo Tax -disc or download

No, you don’t, not with the download or CD version. If Intuit hints otherwise they are being less than truthful. We have tons of transactions and a large schedule D and TT Deluxe handles it just fine including downloading 1099 data from our two brokerage companies. Deluxe is fully functional for Schedule D for CD and download versions.
Hint? They’re deliberately misleading IMO. :mad: Evidently they’ve cheated me for a couple years as I’ve bought Premier IMO. Unfortunately TurboTax has been the best product IMO, otherwise I’d jump ship.

Attachments

• 1AAC228D-7C3E-42A5-BF1C-92B0CC71E79E.jpg
    1AAC228D-7C3E-42A5-BF1C-92B0CC71E79E.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hint? They’re deliberately misleading IMO. :mad: Evidently they’ve cheated me for a couple years as I’ve bought Premier IMO.

Old habits die hard. Brings back memories of the Intuit rebate days having to jump through hoops to get a rebate :facepalm:.

Hint? They’re deliberately misleading IMO. :mad: Evidently they’ve cheated me for a couple years as I’ve bought Premier IMO. Unfortunately TurboTax has been the best product IMO, otherwise I’d jump ship.
When Fidelity changed their TT Premium Perk rules a bit and we weren’t offered it for a couple of years I reviewed Deluxe again. And I guess read enough comments to figure the Schedule D functionality was still there. So we switched back to Deluxe with no problem.

Yes - that chart with no qualifiers is an outright lie.

I took the exemption using Deluxe in 2019. The interview walked me through the process.

If I remember correctly, I was using downloaded software from Amazon.
I used Deluxe for our 2018 tax year filing (sold our house late in 2018), and the exemption was there for us also. I wonder what caused Deluxe to not work properly for Souschef.

You may be right. I had ESPP sales in 2018 and 2019, maybe that's why I needed Premier. I will not have any in 2020 so maybe I can just use Deluxe.
I can see that. It's been quite awhile since I've had ESPP sales, but I do remember it being complex to separate the ordinary income from the capital gains.

I can see that. It's been quite awhile since I've had ESPP sales, but I do remember it being complex to separate the ordinary income from the capital gains.

It is a pain. I have ESPP every year, but it’s been 10+ years since I looked at the details. When I did, I realized that I was doing it wrong in previous years. After I verified that TT was doing it correctly, I promptly forgot how to do it myself.

When Fidelity changed their TT Premium Perk rules a bit and we weren’t offered it for a couple of years I reviewed Deluxe again. And I guess read enough comments to figure the Schedule D functionality was still there. So we switched back to Deluxe with no problem.

Yes - that chart with no qualifiers is an outright lie.

I'm pretty sure the difference is that Deluxe handles schedule D transactions (cap gains, dividends) but not the sales of investments. That requires Premier.

Also, someone told me that the disc or download version of Deluxe will do the schedule D transactions,, but not the online version. That's hearsay, but I wouldn't put it past them.

I'm pretty sure the difference is that Deluxe handles schedule D transactions (cap gains, dividends) but not the sales of investments. That requires Premier.

Also, someone told me that the disc or download version of Deluxe will do the schedule D transactions,, but not the online version. That's hearsay, but I wouldn't put it past them.
The download/CD version absolutely does handle sales of securities. I always have some sales each year - rebalancing, tax loss harvesting, exchanging funds. Deluxe imports these transactions and puts them on Schedule D no problem.

The online version lost schedule D capability years ago.

Oh well, I guess they're just lying about it. I wonder why there isn't more outrage about it? There's very little discussion about it that I see with a quick search.

I've been using the downloaded versions for the past few years.... Absolutely zero problems w/TT. I actually had to download it a second time this year (just yesterday) since an automatic MS OS update effectively destroyed my PC...:mad:

Last edited:

I'm annoyed at this as well. I have previously purchased Premier simply for access to their Schedule D. Yesterday I ordered the Deluxe+State CD and will install it as soon as it arrives next week to do some investigating.

I too like TurboTax for taxes. I used H&R Block for 2015 and 2016, but went back to my comfort zone in subsequent years.

There have been a couple of posts mentioning that many computers do not come with CD drives now. I'm typing on one now and it was something of a shock when I got it. There are plenty of external USB plug in CD Drives available for approximately $20. I bought one of those. I also bought an external USB 3.5" floppy drive to see what I had on some random 3.5" disks I had. Luckily I didn't have to do it for a 5.25" floppy.:angel:

Oh well, I guess they're just lying about it. I wonder why there isn't more outrage about it? There's very little discussion about it that I see with a quick search.

Yeah, it’s as if they want to keep it hush, hush so more people buy Premier, I guess.

Turbo Tax Federal and State currently on sale at Amazon for a limited time today. Seems to be all versions. Just picked up Premier 2020 Fed and State for $54.90.

I bought the disc... but then found out my disc drive does not work on my computer... downloaded the program and assume it is the same...

Turbo Tax Federal and State currently on sale at Amazon for a limited time today. Seems to be all versions. Just picked up Premier 2020 Fed and State for $54.90.

I did the same a few days ago, except for $54.99 they included a $10 Amazon gift card :dance:

Next time buying the download. I had a lot of trouble getting the computer to read the disc for whatever reason.

I received my Deluxe+State disk from Amazon today.

Install went well. When you purchase the CD, you have the option of downloading or installing from the CD. Using your activation code for either.

Since I already have a 1099R from my one month of retired pay, I entered that.

It looks like it handles Schedule D items fine. The IRS is still working on this item, so TurboTax will not allow you to enter anything.

I will be getting the Deluxe (with State) TT. In the past I've gotten the disc. Is it 6 of one half dozen of another between the disc or download? Maybe stupid question, since I used disc last year will TT have that info should I get the download version?
I’m not sure about downloading TurboTax but I used the cloud-based version which works very well. If they do updates due to changing rules it’s all behind the scenes so you don’t have to download new software updates. Your return stays in the cloud under your account and each year the data is transferred to your new return prep. I always download a pdf of my return, e-sign online and send.

I bought the disc but then had to use our laptop as TT no longer works on Windows 7 and that is what my desktop has.

So, the laptop didn't have a CD drive so I had to log into TT, type in the activation code and then download. So, you can do it either way!

I then had to copy last year's returns onto the laptop so I could transfer all the info.

I’m not sure about downloading TurboTax but I used the cloud-based version which works very well. If they do updates due to changing rules it’s all behind the scenes so you don’t have to download new software updates. Your return stays in the cloud under your account and each year the data is transferred to your new return prep. I always download a pdf of my return, e-sign online and send.

That's a bridge too far for me - I know the tax returns are likely stored on IRS computer systems, but I wouldn't be comfortable with all that data also stored on Quicken's systems. There's been too many data breeches at different companies over the years. Sometimes, it just starts with a disgruntled employee.

My return would have all the family member SSN's, all the banks we use, all the investment companies, and even a list of all the individual mutual funds. Based on the dividend and capital gain information, they could easily figure out how much money we have in each fund. Etc, etc.

I can't seem to find a Turbo Tax Deluxe w/State "disc" on Amazon or Costco or Intuit. I usually buy from Costco, but I can only see download.

TurboTax Deluxe 2020, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional Cost), PC Download
Item 1489866Model ITU-609550-C-ESD

★★★★★3.7
★★★★★3.7 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for TurboTax Deluxe 2020, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional Cost), PC Download

Online Price $49.99
Less $10.00
Your Price $39.99
"E-Delivery"
$10 OFF

$10 manufacturer's savings is valid 12/25/20 through 1/24/21. While supplies last. Limit 2 per member. Terms & Conditions

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure what you were looking for, but is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H48X4WQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't seem to find a Turbo Tax Deluxe w/State "disc" on Amazon or Costco or Intuit. I usually buy from Costco, but I can only see download.

TurboTax Deluxe 2020, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional Cost), PC Download
Item 1489866Model ITU-609550-C-ESD

★★★★★3.7
★★★★★3.7 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for TurboTax Deluxe 2020, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional Cost), PC Download

Online Price $49.99
Less $10.00
Your Price $39.99
E-Delivery
$10 OFF

$10 manufacturer's savings is valid 12/25/20 through 1/24/21. While supplies last. Limit 2 per member. Terms & Conditions

TurboTax Deluxe with State CostCo

At CostCo I purchased TurboTax Deluxe Federal and State return + Federal e-file for $39.99 (after $10 off on sale) It came with a disc, but just a flat cardboard mailer like case vs. plastic. I don’t have disc drive, but was easy to download with the key provided.

Last edited:
At CostCo I purchased TurboTax Deluxe Federal and State return + Federal e-file for $39.99 (after $10 off on sale) It came with a disc, but just a flat cardboard mailer like case vs. plastic. I don’t have disc drive, but was easy to download with the key provided.

Thank you, JDRbole.

I have only seen the Costco Turbo Tax online and I haven't gone physically to a Costco store yet like I usually do every January.

I realize during SARS-CoV-2 more things are being done online. And fewer people using laptops with CDs.

I'm old.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom