TurboTax For Vanguard Members

It's funny, but why does it cost more if you are a Vanguard member? Does Vanguard mark it up or something?

For most non-Flagship members there is a minor discount from the retail price but they would be better off ordering online. For Flagship and Asset Management Services clients there is a substantial discount. I saved about $55

I used to be an annual subscriber (CD delivered to my mailbox) before knowing about the VG discounts (free for me now). Cost as a subscriber was more than retail too.

Maybe it was a way of sticking it to the loyal members who'd buy year after year anyhow? :LOL:

Last edited:
You're a little behind the curve - my 2012 return is already drafted. :D

Me too. Jus' waitin' for the 1099's to be ready for download!

TT free via TR Price.

OK, let me ask you all this:

Which would you rather get free: (a) TurboTax or (b) one thousand dollars?

OK, let me ask you all this:

Which would you rather get free: (a) TurboTax or (b) one thousand dollars?

I didn't know they were mutually exclusive.

:confused:
Serious question... Been using TaxAct for five years @13.95. Mostly 'cuz it's convenient to have all old info online for filling in and for comparison etc. Is there an advantage to Turbotax?

:confused:
Serious question... Been using TaxAct for five years @13.95. Mostly 'cuz it's convenient to have all old info online for filling in and for comparison etc. Is there an advantage to Turbotax?

TT also uses your previous return to save time. I tried TaxAct one year instead of TT as it was free and I was paying for TT. However, it didn't handle my foreign pension and bank accounts as well as TT. I think TaxAct is pretty good, and may be much easier to use for the foreign accounts and pensions these days, but since I get TT downloaded (or on-line) for free I'm happy to use TT.

Does VG only offer TT Online for Flagship members or can you download the program? I prefer having the software locally so a) i can do simulations during the year and b) if i need to back to an earlier return and look at a calculation.

I have my TT CD discs going back to like forever.

Does VG only offer TT Online for Flagship members or can you download the program? I prefer having the software locally so a) i can do simulations during the year and b) if i need to back to an earlier return and look at a calculation.

Download for Flagship is available also free. You may have to scroll down the page.

State Farm has a banking subsidiary. Open any bank account (all done online) and TT is free.

I've gotten TT Deluxe and State downloads for free through Vanguard for several years. Haven't looked at what they're offering this year yet...fingers crossed, free is good.

Looks to me like Vanguard is offering the same as last year. Flagship customers get TT Deluxe Desktop including one state.

Vanguard does offer TT downloads at different prices for different client classes.

I have also used TT forever. Back in the day TT would delete the program almost automatically, except for your returns, from your computer after you were through. For the past several years the entire TT program as well as the returns are saved on your computer, so there's no real need to save the CD's. I, too, still get my TT on CD's (or is it DVD's ?). Of course, I save paper copies of my returns. The paper returns came in handy when SS audited DW's SS application and had questions about her return for 1992. SS had a copy which I'm sure was obtained from IRS.

The saved programs came in handy a couple of years ago when I (no IRS audit involved) caught an error on my return and I had to redo the previous 3 years, which TT handled nicely.

Last edited:
I haven't used TurboTax since the software activation fiasco a few years back (I think Quicken backtracked on the issue, but it was too late). I switched to TaxCut (now H&R Block at Home) and have been able to get it for free or at a significantly discounted price via slickdeals for the past several years. Been a happy user so far. :)

Just downloaded TurboTax Deluxe with state for FREE, saving $50. Thanks Vanguard!

I've used TT at VG for the past few years, although it costs me some $23 (with tax). TT has worked fine, I guess, as I haven't compared the results with an actual living tax preparer. This year, I'll again get the TT results, but will also use FreeTaxUSA and compare the results. Supposedly FTUSA is completely free (I don't file any state tax returns), and it looks like this year I am eligible--having an AGI of under $57K. Anybody have any experience with FTUSA?

With the last minute tax deal from Congress, don't forget to get latest updates for TT....or whatever tax software you use.

Not to hijack the thread, but Fido Private Clients can get any version of Turbo Tax refunded by their Private Client AE. I scanned the receipt and sent to my AE and a few days later the funds were in my cash account. Other Fido users can get discounts (generally about 25% off list) but like others have commented Costco and others usually beat them during their Jan promos
Nwsteve

I'm thinking about using https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/fff/html/FED.htm
this year and you can e-file for free as well. I hate paying a dime to have my taxes prepared or to e-file. Not bragging but have been doing my own taxes since the early seventies and have never paid a dime to anyone to prepare or e-file. I am a cheap bastard too. I need the money too bad for green fees not to mention I'm jonesing for some new Callaway fairway woods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom