Understanding YTD

I’m just guessing but I think it’s the difference between the change in price - clearly negative YTD and the income generated which I believe is the 1.28%.

So, if you had a $1K bond on 1/1 today it’s worth less so if you sell it you’ll only get about $950 - a loss. But if the bond paid interest, you still had income YTD.

Again, that’s my guess.

When I check VFIDX on Yahoo finance the first page that comes up is the summary page..On that page it shows the YTD return to be -4.29%. When I go to the performance page it shows year to date return to be 1.28% ...Can someone explain to me the difference? Thanks
If you go to the source at Vanguard's site directly:

YTD as of 2/18/22: -4.31%
YTD as of 1/31/22: -2.62%

Yahoo isn't showing what date their different YTD numbers are for, which is problematic as just a couple of weeks can make a big difference.

I’m just guessing but I think it’s the difference between the change in price - clearly negative YTD and the income generated which I believe is the 1.28%.

So, if you had a $1K bond on 1/1 today it’s worth less so if you sell it you’ll only get about $950 - a loss. But if the bond paid interest, you still had income YTD.

Again, that’s my guess.

If you go to the source at Vanguard's site directly:

YTD as of 2/18/22: -4.31%
YTD as of 1/31/22: -2.62%

Yahoo isn't showing what date their different YTD numbers are for, which is problematic as just a couple of weeks can make a big difference.

Could be both. Different dates, and one includes reinvested dividends while the other is just price.

Could be both. Different dates, and one includes reinvested dividends while the other is just price.
That could also be true. The Yahoo data isn't very clearly presented regardless.

I always go directly to a MF's site when I want info. I figure that's the most accurate source.

One of the YTD is back one year from this day. The other YTD represents from 01/01/22 to the present time/day I believe.

okay.....I don't think one is a trailing YTD but more likely the difference is due to different YTD stop dates..Seems like every YTD number should include the stop date..Thanks!

IMO YTD numbers are not worth very much.

In business I waited until maybe May before using YTD revenue or profit numbers because shorter periods are easily affected by non-recurring events.

With investment income, the only number worth anything is total return. (Price change + dividends and interest) But here again, a YTD February total return number with a January dividend included gives a totally misleading impression.

A 12-month total return number ensures that a year's worth of dividends are included, so is more likely to be indicative. 5-year total return is better.

Back
Top Bottom