Upgrading cell phones on Verizon !!##

Is that Straight Talk plan still available? When I last talked to Verizon if we purchased a smart phone from then we had to contract for a data plan.

Chuckanut said:
I got rid of my home phone and decided it was a mistake. My mobile phone was often far away from me at home and I did not hear the calls. Reception was iffy at times. Also, I wondered what would happen if I had a serious accident upstairs, needed to call 911, but my mobile phone was downstairs. Still I did not want to add about $30 a month to my phone costs for a POTS line. So...

I bought an Ooma machine and now have four extensions in my home for about $5 a month and the price of the Ooma. I paid $160 for my Ooma (after the $40 rebate this month) but have since seen them on e-bay for $99.

I had that thought too when I first dropped my landline as I had a tendency to misplace my cell phone and just let it find me in a couple of days. However, I pay better attention to it and always leave it on the kitchen counter when at home. I also worried a bit about the 911 issue at night in my room. But then I decided since my Glock is on the nightstand it will eventually allow me the opportunity to get to my phone eventually :)
The Virgin Mobile PayLo plan has been very good for me at $30 a month with 1500 minutes, 1500 sent texts, and 30 whatever bites of internet (way more internet than I ever use on a phone). Since Virgin uses Sprint it isn't a good plan if you live out in the boonies, or travel a lot in the country side off main highway arteries.

You get StraightTalk at Walmart. Some of their phones run on different carriers networks so you need to check that out. We needed a Verizon network so DW's Straight Talk phone runs on that network.

Last edited:
I had that thought too when I first dropped my landline as I had a tendency to misplace my cell phone and just let it find me in a couple of days. However, I pay better attention to it and always leave it on the kitchen counter when at home. I also worried a bit about the 911 issue at night in my room. But then I decided since my Glock is on the nightstand it will eventually allow me the opportunity to get to my phone eventually :)
The Virgin Mobile PayLo plan has been very good for me at $30 a month with 1500 minutes, 1500 sent texts, and 30 whatever bites of internet (way more internet than I ever use on a phone). Since Virgin uses Sprint it isn't a good plan if you live out in the boonies, or travel a lot in the country side off main highway arteries.

+1 Love our Paylo .

Buckeye said:
+1 Love our Paylo .

They have a very serviceable basic internet phone with functional keyboard (blackberry phone style) for under $50. Had mine for a year as my sole communicating device and it is still going strong after a year. I have wanted an android style phone and plan, but this is so cheap and practical I cant justify the upgrade cost of phone and plan.

But then I decided since my Glock is on the nightstand it will eventually allow me the opportunity to get to my phone eventually :)

How does a Glock help you get to your phone if you are having a heart attack,stoke, or fall and seriously injure yourself. Do you shoot up the house and hope a neighbor will hear the racket? :)

Is that Straight Talk plan still available? When I last talked to Verizon if we purchased a smart phone from then we had to contract for a data plan.

Straight Talk is not a Verizon product. They are a cell phone service provider. They buy time from Verizon, ATT, Sprint, etc and sell it to you and me, hopefully for less cost than the major cell phone providers.

Chuckanut said:
How does a Glock help you get to your phone if you are having a heart attack,stoke, or fall and seriously injure yourself. Do you shoot up the house and hope a neighbor will hear the racket? :)

Im sure that would get someones attention! :) Im no more than 25 ft from bedroom to kitchen on same level. If I cant crawl that far Im dead anyways. I suffer from the mentality of being invincible at my age. I still think of 911 only in terms of calling to haul off the carcasses from a failed home invasion. Hopefully that wont ever occur and definitely not my carcass!

If getting a smart phone with straight talk you might be limited on the number and/or kinds of apps you can get.

Back
Top Bottom