VA settles class action lawsuit

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Remember the security breach at the VA a couple of years ago? If you got a letter from the VA alerting you that your personal information may have been compromise, then you could be one of the beneficiaries of this:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Department of Veterans Affairs has agreed to pay $20 million to current and former military personnel to settle a class action lawsuit on behalf of the men and women whose personal data was on a laptop computer stolen during a burglary.

The names, dates of birth and Social Security numbers of about 26.5 million active duty troops and veterans were on the laptop and external drive, which disappeared while in the custody of a Veterans Affairs data analyst in 2006...

The funds will go to military personnel and veterans who were harmed by the loss of personal data, either through emotional distress or through costs incurred in monitoring credit records.

The math doesn't work out very well: $20 million less attorney's fees divided by 26.5 million. But what the heck, I've hardly slept a wink for the past two years. Where's my check?

Only Lawyers make out financially on CALS (Class Action Law Suits). I do not even respond to the bait to join them. If you have a case better to "go it alone" with YOUR Lawyer. Of course the Judge will probably consolidate them into a CALS - so you can not win!

I think DH got the letter about the breach. causing tremendous upheaval in our lives of course, but he missed out on signing up for the class action lawsuit--so everyone can split his share.

Vaguely remember getting the letter. Can't remember if my number was in the range the described.

If my number was included, all are welcome to the share.

Might be off a few cents. $20M devided by 23m is $.87 if the lawyers take 75%, well $.22. However, I have left out administrative cost. With a letter costing $.42, each veteran will have to send in $.20 to get their refund! Hey, this could be a new stimulus package!

Heck, I got a letter too. Too bad they couldn't provide a few years of credit monitoring. They could have gotten a good discount on 23M people!

Back
Top Bottom