Vanguard 1099R form not on their website...

CindyBlue

Full time employment: Posting here.
It says they were posted online on Jan 17th and mailed Jan 24th. We do not have a 1099R from Vanguard.

But on my hubby's personal account, when I looked it up, it says "You have no forms right now."

Anyone know how we can get that 1099R form from Vanguard?

We got out Vanguard 1099Rs back in January online. I think we got them on the link "tax forms". We had distributions from our IRAs so we got the 1099Rs. You would not get a tax form is you had no transactions.

Ms G's 1099-R was posted online early January 1/14, and is even shown in my personal log on under tax forms.

Is this for periodic pension payments or IRA withdrawals? I don't have a pension at Vanguard, but on Fidelity I have to click on my pension account to get the pension's 1099R, it doesn't show up with the 1099R for IRAs.

It says they were posted online on Jan 17th and mailed Jan 24th. We do not have a 1099R from Vanguard.

But on my hubby's personal account, when I looked it up, it says "You have no forms right now."

Anyone know how we can get that 1099R form from Vanguard?
I've never had a problem with getting (tax) forms from Vanguard. Call or email them, probably something simple?

Thank you everyone!

We finally gave up and called them - so fun to try to get through (grin!)

But the nice young man who finally answered the phone sent us in an entirely different direction than I'd been trying to go on the Vanguard site - wow, it's not easy to access that tax document!! But we finally got there and found the online 1099-R. I wrote down all the steps for next time!

Thanks again!

Eventually Vanguard will get their digital act back together, especially mobile. Eventually. Maybe.

It’s good you found the form!

It is so odd that when we went to where it says to go to on the website when you type in "1099R" in the search box that it took us to the place where it says that he has no forms. The steps the fellow we talked to on the phone told us to follow were not at all obvious!

We are hoping that the 1099 they were supposed to have mailed is still in the mail because we do not have it!

But at least we have the online form, thank goodness!

Last edited:
It is so odd that when we went to where it says to go to on the website when you type in "1099R" in the search box that it took us to the place where it says that he has no forms. The steps the fellow we talked to on the phone told us to follow were not at all obvious!

We are hoping that the 1099 they were supposed to have mailed is still in the mail because we do not have it!

But at least we have the online form, thank goodness!

Could you elaborate on the steps? When I log into Vanguard there is a link to click at the top of the main page that says "Tax Forms and Information". When I click it the next page says "Your 2021 Forms". Very easy to find and it looks accurate...we were not expecting 1099's this year. Is there someplace else I should be looking?

Could you elaborate on the steps? When I log into Vanguard there is a link to click at the top of the main page that says "Tax Forms and Information". When I click it the next page says "Your 2021 Forms". Very easy to find and it looks accurate...we were not expecting 1099's this year. Is there someplace else I should be looking?
I don't get an extra link on any page.

However, if I use the "My Accounts" pulldown, there is a "Tax Forms & Information" which, when clicked, gives all the info.

This is desktop. I suspect people may be seeing different things on tablets, phones, etc.

If your steps worked for you, that's great. Don't know why those same steps didn't work for me!

I did the same steps as you the first few times (kept hoping it would work, I guess!) On the "My Accounts page, up at the top it says "Tax Forms and Information." I clicked on that, and it took me to a page that says, helpfully enough, "Tax Forms and Information," and under that, "Your 2021 Tax Forms." There it says "You have no forms right now."

The steps that the nice fellow on the phone told me to take were: "My Account"; "Balances and Holdings": "Go to my 403b plan for details"; "Accept" (the disclaimers/info there}; "Shortcuts", "Access Tax Documents", "2021" (etc years) "Tax Forms 1099-R Retirement Distribution." And there it was!

Edited to add: This was done on my home computer.

Last edited:
The young wife and I have always had taxable acount, IRA account and Roth account at Vanguard. She also has a 403b account from her last employer through them. I have found over the years that the regular Vanguard account page and the 403b specific page work differently for a number of things. When you want to do anything associated with the 403b, it is as if you are shunted to a different department with a slightly different computer system. I suppose it could be because they are acting in a slightly different capacity in administering the 403b. But that's just a guess. I do know the the 403b page functions differently for a number of things.

Last edited:
If your steps worked for you, that's great. Don't know why those same steps didn't work for me!

I did the same steps as you the first few times (kept hoping it would work, I guess!) On the "My Accounts page, up at the top it says "Tax Forms and Information." I clicked on that, and it took me to a page that says, helpfully enough, "Tax Forms and Information," and under that, "Your 2021 Tax Forms." There it says "You have no forms right now."

The steps that the nice fellow on the phone told me to take were: "My Account"; "Balances and Holdings": "Go to my 403b plan for details"; "Accept" (the disclaimers/info there}; "Shortcuts", "Access Tax Documents", "2021" (etc years) "Tax Forms 1099-R Retirement Distribution." And there it was!

Edited to add: This was done on my home computer.

Wow!!! That's bogus! It should be on the first click of the tax forms. Sounds like they have a presentation and classification bug. Even if 403b's are different - or perhaps required to be different - they should have a bold pointer and link at the tax forms page.

VG continues to slowly build up more and more disappointment in me.

Wow!!! That's bogus! It should be on the first click of the tax forms. Sounds like they have a presentation and classification bug. Even if 403b's are different - or perhaps required to be different - they should have a bold pointer and link at the tax forms page.

VG continues to slowly build up more and more disappointment in me.

To me, it's kind of like the dentist who does my root canals and crowns...he is a real pain in the tail personality wise, but his actual work is absolutely wonderful, so I put up with him. We are - so far, anyway! - very happy with our Vanguard 403b account performance, so - so far, anyway! - we are willing to put up with some of Vanguard's communication issues.

But we are reasonably capable people, if inexperienced in financial matters, so we can figure it all out in the long run. We get frustrated and irritated about it, but we can handle it and get over it. I feel badly for those who might have less ability to wade through the maze of phone calls and steps on the website to get to the information they need. It should be a much easier process!

The young wife and I have always had taxable acount, IRA account and Roth account at Vanguard. She also has a 403b account from her last employer through them. I have found over the years that the regular Vanguard account page and the 403b specific page work differently for a number of things. When you want to do anything associated with the 403b, it is as if you are shunted to a different department with a slightly different computer system. I suppose it could be because they are acting in a slightly different capacity in administering the 403b. But that's just a guess. I do know the the 403b page functions differently for a number of things.

We have found this to be true, too. I wonder why? 403b money is still money invested in their company...those accounts deserve attention to detail, too.

When I first log into my Vanguard account this is at the top of the landing page

Yep, but if you read my post above, that didn't work for me...sigh...

I would never expect it to for an employee retirement plan. Fidelity wouldn't have done that for my 401(k) when I had both my personal accounts and a 401(k) there. It doesn't surprise me at all.

I would never expect it to for an employee retirement plan. Fidelity wouldn't have done that for my 401(k) when I had both my personal accounts and a 401(k) there. It doesn't surprise me at all.

Yeah, once I saw it was for a 403b, I let Vanguard off the hook. My 401k forms at Fido are similarly isolated from the IRA forms. Not ideal but typical

Yeah, once I saw it was for a 403b, I let Vanguard off the hook. My 401k forms at Fido are similarly isolated from the IRA forms. Not ideal but typical
+1

As I mentioned in my post earlier, my pension at Fidelity has it's own page to get the 1099R. It's not with the 1099R for my IRA.

It's not just Vanguard.

I don't understand this...why are 401ks and 403bs are so different that they have to have their own setup? Do Fidelity and Vanguard think that 401ks and 403bs are somehow less important? It's still money, and it's still being invested...

:confused:

Thank you everyone!

We finally gave up and called them - so fun to try to get through (grin!)

But the nice young man who finally answered the phone sent us in an entirely different direction than I'd been trying to go on the Vanguard site - wow, it's not easy to access that tax document!! But we finally got there and found the online 1099-R. I wrote down all the steps for next time!

Thanks again!

You're kidding, right? It's right along the top of the page... Tax forms and information

My 1099-R was available on Jan 14.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I don't understand this...why are 401ks and 403bs are so different that they have to have their own setup? Do Fidelity and Vanguard think that 401ks and 403bs are somehow less important? It's still money, and it's still being invested...

:confused:
Basically, an employer plan will have different functionality like what percentages of your paycheck are invested and where (and what investments are allowed), links to plan documents, pension beneficiaries (ends with your life, 50%, 75%, 100% to spouse, etc).

And it is usually also available through an employer web portal that may be different than for personal accounts.

Now could they make all the 1099s available through a single link? Sure, but it would probably be duplicating some functionality or might require extra coordination with probably a different IT team who manages the employer plan site.

It's easier from an IT perspective to provide a link to get to the employer plan is what I'm saying.

Basically, an employer plan will have different functionality like what percentages of your paycheck are invested and where (and what investments are allowed), links to plan documents, pension beneficiaries (ends with your life, 50%, 75%, 100% to spouse, etc).

And it is usually also available through an employer web portal that may be different than for personal accounts.

Now could they make all the 1099s available through a single link? Sure, but it would probably be duplicating some functionality or might require extra coordination with probably a different IT team who manages the employer plan site.

It's easier from an IT perspective to provide a link to get to the employer plan is what I'm saying.

That's what I assumed to be the case, and I don't mind. But then it has never really caused me any trouble.

At least Fidelity has this (screenshot below). Now that I understand OP's issue, I'm willing to give VG a bit more slack.

Attachments

• link.JPG
    link.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom