Vanguard 1099R form not on their website...

^^^ If you click on My Accounts does an option of Tax Forms & Information appear?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 7
I got mine from Vanguard and imported it into my tax software. All is good.

What I am waiting for is Schwab's tax forms.

Basically, an employer plan will have different functionality like what percentages of your paycheck are invested and where (and what investments are allowed), links to plan documents, pension beneficiaries (ends with your life, 50%, 75%, 100% to spouse, etc).

And it is usually also available through an employer web portal that may be different than for personal accounts.

Now could they make all the 1099s available through a single link? Sure, but it would probably be duplicating some functionality or might require extra coordination with probably a different IT team who manages the employer plan site.

It's easier from an IT perspective to provide a link to get to the employer plan is what I'm saying.
+1
Totally different systems, different problems to solve, different audience.

The general solution that works for me is to make sure that I have a selection to send tax forms via US Mail at each financial institution.

Sometimes I go in early and find them online, but at the end of the day, hopefully, the US Mail will "deliver".

I do have USPS Informed Delivery setup so I get an email each day showing what mail I should receive.

-gauss

The general solution that works for me is to make sure that I have a selection to send tax forms via US Mail at each financial institution.

Sometimes I go in early and find them online, but at the end of the day, hopefully, the US Mail will "deliver".

I do have USPS Informed Delivery setup so I get an email each day showing what mail I should receive.

-gauss

We seem to already have that designation...the hard copy just arrived in the mail yesterday...naturally, a day after we hunted them down online and sent them to our tax lady! :LOL:

I don't understand this...why are 401ks and 403bs are so different that they have to have their own setup? Do Fidelity and Vanguard think that 401ks and 403bs are somehow less important? It's still money, and it's still being invested...

:confused:

They are only acting as a custodian for the retirement plans. Different EINs as well. At least when I was using Fidelity they had something called netbenefits which was an entirely different interface - not just for tax docs.

They are only acting as a custodian for the retirement plans. Different EINs as well. At least when I was using Fidelity they had something called netbenefits which was an entirely different interface - not just for tax docs.
+1
It's more a legal privacy issue. For IRA, Roth IRA and taxable account you have these direct agreement between you and the brokerage firm. For employer benefit plans (i.e. 401k, 403b, etc) the agreement is between you and your employer, not the brokerage firm that the employer subcontracted to administer their plan.

I don't understand this...why are 401ks and 403bs are so different that they have to have their own setup? Do Fidelity and Vanguard think that 401ks and 403bs are somehow less important? It's still money, and it's still being invested...

:confused:

I don’t think it’s a matter of importance. It makes perfect sense for them to be isolated IMO but there should be a more obvious link to the employment related forms. I have multiple employee platforms at Fido and it gets very confusing to verify which pension, 401k, IRA account each 1099r pertains to.

I don’t think it’s a matter of importance. It makes perfect sense for them to be isolated IMO but there should be a more obvious link to the employment related forms. I have multiple employee platforms at Fido and it gets very confusing to verify which pension, 401k, IRA account each 1099r pertains to.

Maybe they have changed the format. On the last 1099-R I received from Fidelity for my rollover (a few years ago), it stated in the "Payer's Name" box that it was for "xzx Corporation Savings Plan"

Back
Top Bottom