Join Early Retirement Today

Vanguard Wellesley
Old 06-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Vanguard Wellesley

I have noticed for awhile that VWINX has been at a Morning Star Rating of 4 when it was a long time 5 star.

I have 75% of my ira in this or 25% of my total stock investment(60/40).

Is there a 5 star comparable out there with similar low costs?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think the luster has worn off Morningstar ratings so I wouldn't fret about it at all.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The way the star ratings works is this: Within a category of funds, the 5% with the best historical performance get 5 stars, with the 4,3,2,1 stars distributed according to formulas. Since history has consistently been shown to not be predictive, the stars are arguably meaningless. WSJ did a big study a couple of years ago that confirmed this and they sort of embarrassed M* into admitting the fact where before they were keeping quiet.

The other thing to remember is that a 5-star fund in a poorly-performing category can easily be eclipsed by a lowly 2-star fund in a category that has been outperforming.

More: https://news.morningstar.com/classro...&page=3&CN=COM
Old 06-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know anything about these ratings.

However, Wellesley VWIAX is 30% of my portfolio and has been during my 12 years of retirement (so far), as well as during several years just prior to retirement. I am satisfied with Wellesley and not even considering any changes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
I have noticed for awhile that VWINX has been at a Morning Star Rating of 4 when it was a long time 5 star.

I have 75% of my ira in this or 25% of my total stock investment(60/40).

Is there a 5 star comparable out there with similar low costs?
I spoke with a fee only advisor a few months ago and asked for an index alternative to WLS that was similar in its AA, etc, but wouldn't necessarily throw off dividends like WLS. He said VG Balanced Index Fund.

I haven't switched from WLS to that index fund yet as it would be a taxable event and I want to do Roth conversions now....but I may move away from WLS as my future income projections keep me in higher brackets.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Chasing stars is futile excercise.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think the luster has worn off Morningstar ratings so I wouldn't fret about it at all.
+1

M* ratings mean almost nothing.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #9

Just looked Wellesley is still rated at 5* on morningstar.

If you want a higher return look at VTMFX and Wellington.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

More important than the star ratings are what's inside a fund. https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vwinx/quote

The fund provides income, so it is skewed to large cap value and has sensitivity to interest rates. The turnover is 53%.

Vanguard Balanced Index Fund Admiral Shares (VBIAX) has a 60/40 allocation which is the opposite of Vanguard Wellesley Income (VWIAX).

We hold VWIAX in tax-deferred and tax-free accounts only.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:13 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Just looked Wellesley is still rated at 5* on morningstar.

If you want a higher return look at VTMFX and Wellington.

I see admiral shares are 5 star. Regular are 4 star.
I own it in my Schwab account so no admiral available.

Thanks for all the responses. I am staying put.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know anything about these ratings.

However, Wellesley VWIAX is 30% of my portfolio and has been during my 12 years of retirement (so far), as well as during several years just prior to retirement. I am satisfied with Wellesley and not even considering any changes.
I don’t have any Wellesley, but if was starting over again I’d own a big chunk of it. My portfolio is all Vanguard funds, but it doesn’t make sense to take the tax hit(s) to switch to Wellesley. I’d stick with Wellesley OP…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:14 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

My portfolio is 50% Wellesley and 50% Wellington and I am very happy and have no plans to change it.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
More important than the star ratings are what's inside a fund. https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vwinx/quote

The fund provides income, so it is skewed to large cap value and has sensitivity to interest rates. The turnover is 53%.

Vanguard Balanced Index Fund Admiral Shares (VBIAX) has a 60/40 allocation which is the opposite of Vanguard Wellesley Income (VWIAX).

We hold VWIAX in tax-deferred and tax-free accounts only.
Good catch - I thought that Wellesley was 60/40 and Wellington was 40/60 - looks like it's switched. That's OK - I'm at my overall AA across my portfolio. -

To the OP - if you go over to Bogleheads you will see a lot of discussion about WLS...it is an active fund, not an index. If you are looking for a more passive fund, you can find something with a similar AA as WLS. The discussions on Bogleheads are about what is the 'secret sauce' that the managers of WLS have for their fairly consistent decent performance....
Old 06-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
I see admiral shares are 5 star. Regular are 4 star.
I own it in my Schwab account so no admiral available.

Thanks for all the responses. I am staying put.
VWIAX can be held at Schwab so you can transfer it there without a fee...just can't add to it.

VTMFX can be purchased and held at Schwab. Fee applies unless you have a fee waiver on the account.

The only "equivalent" to Wellesley that has low expenses is AOK.
Ncc1701 is offline   Reply With Quote