VG & 72t

teejayevans

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
For those who have a 72t with Vanguard, did you call them or do it via web site? I know that they have issue a 1099R with the wrong codes, I assuming that hasn't change? Searching their site showed only a passing mention of 72t.

Last edited:
I did a 72T with Fidelity, I ran the numbers, had a CPA double check the numbers and had Fido check them as well. As far as 1099Rs having the wrong code, I think this a bit confusing. They will code box 7 with a 1, meaning a normal distribution. You will have to fill out a form 5329 and note the exception accordingly as a substantially equal periodic payment and not subject to the 10% penalty. Even at that, the IRS may still question your return and ask for additional documentation to verify that you are doing the 72T correctly. Don't ask me how I know this. One last caveat, do your homework and understand your 72T inside and out before you make the leap.

I'm sure VG, like Fido will be glad to make the distributions you request but they will not take responsibility for the 72T as a whole, that is your responsibility.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom