Well I'm unemployed today

[hijack] And now you don't need to worry about gas prices! [/hijack]

I was wondering how your job search was going! Congratulations, I'm sure it's a load off. Just curious as to whether or not you will try walking to work being that it's so close?

Thanks. I didn't want to jinx myself and starting talking about this job and then not get it. I interviewed twice with them with 4 different people.

I could walk my DD to school and then to work - it's right next to the school. I can go and have lunch with her anytime. She is looking forward to that.

Most of the time I think I would drive so I could come home quickly for lunches (another big savings). :)

Thanks. I didn't want to jinx myself and starting talking about this job and then not get it. I interviewed twice with them with 4 different people.

I could walk my DD to school and then to work - it's right next to the school. I can go and have lunch with her anytime. She is looking forward to that.

Most of the time I think I would drive so I could come home quickly for lunches (another big savings). :)

Congratulations--lucky lucky you to have less commuting, more time with family. Maybe your former company did you a favor by putting you on the layoff list?

John...

Wow, that was quick.

There are some things money can't buy--and living a mile from work is one of them.

Congrats on your new job!

DH just got a package from his company last week due to downsizing so he's also in the process of getting used to not working. His package covers 5 months of income so he wants to take the summer off and be a bum ;) and also spend more time with our daughter. I only work 3 days a week so I think it'll actually be pretty fun to spend time together during the week when the rest of the world is working :D .

Luckily, we're debt free so I figure we can live off of our savings for at least 3 years before DH absolutely has to find something. :bat:

Sounds like a great find, and quick, too. Congrats.

I was also beginning to think ER was not for me because I just didn't feel right not being at work.

I am happy for you getting back to work. About your feeling, I still often have a pang of guilt, so keep my part-time work. If I cut down my discretionary expenses, I could ER. But perhaps I still cannot let go. And this after 5 years of having one foot already out the door. It's something a guy/gal got to decide for him/herself.

PS - Perhaps that's why I was happy to find this forum: to get moral support.

Last edited:
Congratulations - sounds like this job will be better than your old one! Enjoy that "commute" ;-)

Congratulations! I had a job that was that close to home once, and it's a huge perk! Enjoy...

Conga-rats on your new job!
How long is your lunch break?
If 2 miles walk adds too much time to it maybe your could consider a bicycle?

Congrats on the new job!

At one point in our lives DW got a job about a mile from home and I suggested that she could ride a bicycle to work. Her response was a strong negative reaction along the lines of "I am NOT riding a bicycle to work!"

When she called her father to tell him about the job the first thing he was was... you know... "Gee, you could ride a bike to work".

Her, by now very frustrated: "Why does everyone want to stick me on a bicycle?"

I knew by that point that laughing would not be a good thing to do but it was difficult not to.

Well done John. It's pleasing to hear when someone has happy news.

What field are you in?

Thanks everyone!

I could ride my bike if I could secure it. I think they plan on moving to a new building next year, but it's still only 3 miles away.

My last job was only 7 miles away.

barbarus, I'm in the IT field.

JD

Back
Top Bottom