Wellington & Wellesley

ats5g

Full time employment: Posting here.
I know that some people like Wellington + Wellesley. I thought I'd offer the analysis from this M* conversation. From my analysis, it looks like the majority of their return can be replicated by a large value index + a bond fund [long term corp pre 2000, int term post 2000], and that Wellington's management really didn't add any alpha.

Thoughts?

- Alec

Agree, can be replicated.  Cheaper too assuming both are index funds.  Your role would be to rebalance so it fits the 60/40 or 40/60 allocation.

Edit - You would want to make sure the duration of your selected bond fund matched than of your target as well. Shouldn't be difficult either.

The basic portfolio allocation can be duplicated. Nonetheless, we have held both for quite a long time.

Advantages: Both have held to their stratagies over a long time in up and down markets. Both have a long history. Both have long term, in place, management.

I do not, and would not, use these two funds exclusively, but as two bricks in a well balanced portfolio, I think they do fit the bill and at a relatively low cost.

Uncledrz

Obviously - the idiots at Morningstar have never contacted the Norwegian widow for the straight skinny. The real question is: what would have been the dividend income (interest too) stream for a real life retiree over the periods of interest - versus the alternative availible index funds - bty - screw volitility and performance.

I will mellow as soon I finish my first cup of coffee this morning.

The answer is not as important as the question - ie why do you ask:confused: The question may seem the same - but who are you - early in the savings phase/already retired?, what is your strategy?, etc. etc.

If you can get a real feel for each funds performance relative to 'your' ER plan - then you are ahead of the game.

Heh heh heh - at 12 yrs into ER - me and the wider woman are looking for dividends baby - dividends.

ats5g said:
From my analysis, it looks like the majority of their return can be replicated by a large value index + a bond fund [long term corp pre 2000, int term post 2000], and that Wellington's management really didn't add any alpha.

I went from mix-my-own Index 500 / Total Bond to Wellington because I view it as very similar with built-in rebalancing. LS Moderate Growth isn't available in my 401(k) or I might've gone with it instead as I did in my IRA. (disclosure: also threw in some extra int'l index & total bond index and some REIT index for balance & diversification.)

geez, I thought this was a discussion on great British Militarists or Toronto Street Names.:confused:

unclemick2 said:
Heh heh heh - at 12 yrs into ER - me and the wider woman are looking for dividends baby - dividends. 

Did you really mean to call her the "wider woman"?

SLC Tortfeasor said:
Did you really mean to call her the "wider woman"?

I assumed he meant it as "widder woman" i.e. widow woman.

I think the wider the better as far as the Norwegian widow is concerned. As long as she can fit in the mailbox each month...

unclemick2 said:
Obviously - the idiots at Morningstar have never contacted the Norwegian widow for the straight skinny. The real question is: what would have been the dividend income (interest too) stream for a real life retiree over the periods of interest - versus the alternative availible index funds - bty - screw volitility and performance.

I will mellow as soon I finish my first cup of coffee this morning.

The answer is not as important as the question - ie why do you ask:confused: The question may seem the same - but who are you - early in the savings phase/already retired?, what is your strategy?, etc. etc.

If you can get a real feel for each funds performance relative to 'your' ER plan - then you are ahead of the game.

BTW, UM, I don't know if you are winding down the putzing portfolio or not, but if you want a couple of ideas for yield:EGLE & STON.

Back
Top Bottom