What a run!

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Am I the only one excited about the market performance today?

My YTD as of yesterday is only 7.5%. Crossing my fingers and hoping for a 10% by year end. Too optimistic?

Have actually been disappointed there has not been a significant Sept or Oct correction so far. Have a bunch of cash on the sidelines waiting to pounce on a buying opportunity this fall.

Up or down... I don't really care for the next few decades. ;)

Sam said:
Crossing my fingers and hoping for a 10% by year end. Too optimistic?

Well lets see there are around 12 weeks left until the end of the year. So if this trend of 1 percent gain a day holds then we should see a gain of around 60 percent. (12 weeks x 5 days/week trading x 1 percent a day)

Can you say DOW 19000 ?

So lets just hope this trend holds ! ;)

As long as you're dreaming, might as well dream it right. You forgot compounding. It would be around 21,000 :LOL:

Sam said:
Am I the only one excited about the market performance today?
My YTD as of yesterday is only 7.5%. Crossing my fingers and hoping for a 10% by year end. Too optimistic?
Surprised, watching with some disbelief, and glad I'm not shorting anything. But not that excited.

Berkshire Hathaway has risen nearly four percent in the last couple weeks as everyone realizes that September was a good hurricane month. I think there's more upside coming in the next couple months as people realize what Berkshire's been raking in.

We're up 10.9% YTD. If you get your wish for another third in the last three months of the year then we'd be up 14.5%. But that's just crazy talk!

Have a bunch of cash on the sidelines waiting to pounce on a buying opportunity this fall.
it may be that fall came early this year (mid june) ... then again, maybe it will be late.

i too am surprised there hasn't been much mention of the good fortune of the past several months ... and speaking of lack of enthusiasm, what happened to all the gold bugs?

Nords said:
We're up 10.9% YTD. If you get your wish for another third in the last three months of the year
then we'd be up 14.5%. But that's just crazy talk!

I'm envious of your YTD. But wait, our portfolios are different, so I might get my 1/3 and you might not, or vice versa.

Sam said:
I'm envious of your YTD. But wait, our portfolios are different, so I might get my 1/3 and you might not, or vice versa.
Considering our portfolio's volatility I'm sure of it...

The rally has beat up all the market timers. I'm supprised the market has so much strength & I'm a bull. :) Maybe the hedge funds have been shorting the market for the past year. Now they are getting the squeeze. If that's true... they is no limit on how high we can go.

My copper, oil, coal and gas stocks are getting crushed.

S&P up 9ish% YTD. Another 2-3% by year's end is not what one can call irrational exuberance viewed against the 20+% of 2003 and similar numbers of the 90's.

Never underestimate the power of relentless 401K contributions in a world where supply and demand for shares of stock determines its price.

Yea ... interesting what's going on with commodities. I'm still not optimistic about the dollar.

But, glad to see my "normal" mutual funds are doing so well. Interesting time ... I wonder how the market will look post elections.

My CN fund was the only fund that went down, I am sure that it is commodities. But I am content. They have resources in demand when other economies are growing, and if the Middle East blows up .... well like an insurance policy I hope not to need it.

dmpi said:
The rally has beat up all the market timers.

Well, for what it's worth, not all of them. Brinker has his followers in and enjoying the run up using mostly vtsmx or vti.

YTD is almost 15% -- due to nice returns from REIT, International explorer, European, International value and large cap value -- despite a negative return from commodity (PCRIX).

Thinking about reducing exposure to REIT, small cap, and commodity and tilt toward large growth.

Spanky said:
YTD is almost 15% -- due to nice returns from REIT, International explorer, European, International value and large cap value -- despite a negative return from commodity (PCRIX).

Thinking about reducing exposure to REIT, small cap, and commodity and tilt toward large growth.

Um, why? Chasing performance, or do you have a solid reason behind your thought?

Whenever you make a change to your portfolio, the first thought should be: which of the psychological traps so damaging to investors am I about to fall into?

Remember all that stock being bought for higher prices is being sold by someone thinking that it isn't going too much higher.

Cool Dood said:
Up or down... I don't really care for the next few decades. ;)

This is where I am; pick your asset allocation with minor tweaks here and there, set it, and (crowd please) forget about it! Just 4 easy payments of $89 dollars, and if you're not completely satisfied we'll give you your money back provided that you return it in 7 days and this 7 days counts the shipping time. Packages lost in the mail are not our responsibility (read: we're gonna just say it was lost).

Azanon said:
This is where I am; pick your asset allocation with minor tweaks here and there, set it, and (crowd please) forget about it! Just 4 easy payments of $89 dollars, and if you're not completely satisfied we'll give you your money back provided that you return it in 7 days and this 7 days counts the shipping time. Packages lost in the mail are not our responsibility (read: we're gonna just say it was lost).

You forgot the jibber-jabber about "buckets"... ::)

Not sure of YTD results, but third quarter results for me were 3.5%. I'm happy with that. Growth Fund of America (a major component of my portfolio) really choked my performance this past quarter, since all the major indexes were up 4+% over Q3.

No change in investment strategy. We keep DCAing into the 401k's, IRA's and taxable accounts.

I think I was down 1.5% Q2 (a bad quarter for most), so I figure I'm up 2% for the last 6 months. Q1 was really good - I don't have a number though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a downward correction in the next few months. But I have no idea when or the magnitude, so I'll keep DCAing.

It is interesting to me that until today at least, the Dow, S&P and NASDAQ have been increasing, while commodities for the most part have been soft. Ditto gasoline and heating oil.

Kind of makes you wonder if someone wants help going into the election this fall?

Ha

HaHa said:
It is interesting to me that until today at least, the Dow, S&P and NASDAQ have been increasing, while commodities for the most part have been soft. Ditto gasoline and heating oil.

Kind of makes you wonder if someone wants help going into the election this fall?

Ha

Where have you been? :LOL: :LOL:

HaHa said:

Well of course "they" do! But if it is politicians controlling equity and comodity prices, how are they doing it? Can they do it whenever they want? Why don't they do it all the time? Are markets now obsolete and prices will be determined by a central government agency going forward?

This could make for great conspiracy theory gossip! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom