What is one everyday thing you think is THRIFTY, but your friends/family think is CHE

............... the closure of Chinese recycling plants means that a lot of collected plastic and cardboard is just dumped by recycling companies into landfill.........
I hate to break this to you, but a lot of the Chinese "recycling" was right into the ocean. They took the good stuff out and dumped the unrecyclable stuff. That is how we got plastic floating islands the size of Texas.

+1. The second chapter of The Millionaire Next Door is called, "Frugal Frugal Frugal". For all the neighbors who can't figure out how we retired early in a HCOL area, I can tell they never read this book. Housing is expensive where we are, but other than that a lot of the other expenses are simply lifestyle choices, like shopping at ethnic markets instead of Whole Foods. Rich Roll had a cute video on what you can buy for $25 at stores like Whole Foods for $25 vs. going to an ethnic market (two fancy juice bottles at WF vs. several bags of fresh produce or ~25 pounds of dried rice and beans at the ethnic markets).

There comes a point when it is just being ridiculous and cheap. You can rationalize anything. Sorry.

There comes a point when it is just being ridiculous and cheap. You can rationalize anything. Sorry.

One man's cheap is another man's smart. I'm not going to pay $200 a month for cable when a quick phone call can negotiate that down to $120. Or $18 a month for my sirius when I can call and get $5.

So I take it you own Whole Foods then?

If not, why so exercised about where daylatedollarshort shops for food?

I hate to break this to you, but a lot of the Chinese "recycling" was right into the ocean. They took the good stuff out and dumped the unrecyclable stuff. That is how we got plastic floating islands the size of Texas.

And what happens to our discarded electronics that are sent to China and other countries for "recycling" is frightening. Circuit boards are stripped of resellable components then tossed into local streams. Children crouch over fires used to burn the insulation off copper wire, breathing in toxic smoke. Procedures used to grind up plastic and produce sellable plastic pellets are unregulated, exposing workers and the environment to a variety of toxins.

For this and other reasons, DH and I are frugal with electronics. We finally retired our CRT TV four years ago and bought a flat screen. The old TV went on Craigslist for free and found a new home in minutes. In our entire lives DH and I have purchased just two desktop PCs and two laptops. I've always used my workplace laptop at home, and now have the one my manager let me take when I retired last year. Don't have smartphones yet.

One man's cheap is another man's smart. I'm not going to pay $200 a month for cable when a quick phone call can negotiate that down to $120. Or $18 a month for my sirius when I can call and get $5.

I never said anything about that. I just did exactly that myself.
I am talking about the posts I see where people bemoan the price of Netflix because they had to raise it a couple dollars or how terrible the price is of Directv.
Ever go to a NBA game or any professional sporting event and pay to park and buy something to eat? How about a play in a major city? How about to one dinner in a nice restaurant?
The return on the entertainment dollar is fantastic for cable tv and streaming if you enjoy watching from your couch.

I don't know what you mean by rationalizing, or what you are sorry about, but I do know that if I have a choice of paying 50 cents a pound for onions or $3 a pound, I like the 50 cents a pound price better. Why pay extra for advertising and overpaid CEO bonus money when I can buy the same onions (and all the other groceries) for a fraction of the price at ethnic and discount stores? And support a local business and keep the dollars we do spend in the local economy. Over the course of a year our grocery budget can be under $4K or over $16K, largely just depending where I shop. If I save $10K a year on groceries over a decade that is $100K in after tax money.

Last edited:

Why are you posting on a thread entitled "Thrifty"? Let us thrifty people post on this thread and be "ridiculous and cheap". There are other threads for people who are not thrifty. Sorry.

DW and I both wear tee shirts until they completely wear out. At some point in the life of a tee, it is taken out of the lineup for "outside the house", although some shirts may be used when painting outside or doing dirty work. At a further point in the lifespan, the worn tee becomes quite thin and soft, making it a comfy sleep shirt, until some final trauma like a completely separated neck renders it unwearable. At this point the tee becomes a nice rag for applying wood polish, dusting, etc.

I don't know what you mean by rationalizing, or what you are sorry about, but I do know that if I have a choice of paying 50 cents a pound for onions or $3 a pound, I like the 50 cents a pound price better. Why pay extra for advertising and overpaid CEO bonus money when I can buy the same onions (and all the other groceries) for a fraction of the price at ethnic and discount stores? And support a local business and keep the dollars we do spend in the local economy. Over the course of a year our grocery budget can be under $4K or over $16K, largely just depending where I shop. If I save $10K a year on groceries over a decade that is $100K in after tax money.

I never said anything about grocery shopping. I have nothing against shopping smart and saving money which is what I do.
I guess it just bugs me when I hear some multi-millionaires talking about prices for Netflix and others in the way that they do. That’s it.

........I guess it just bugs me when I hear some multi-millionaires talking about prices for Netflix and others in the way that they do. That’s it.
I think the "pet peeves" thread is calling you. ;)

I don't have anything. I mean I don't scrimp on anything. In 25 years (age 90) I'm gonna be dead. Probably.

I plan on enjoying!

I never said anything about grocery shopping. I have nothing against shopping smart and saving money which is what I do.
I guess it just bugs me when I hear some multi-millionaires talking about prices for Netflix and others in the way that they do. That’s it.

You may not have intended to, but when you directly quote someone, it is assumed that you are responding to their specific post. So most people, including me, assumed you had some issue with daylatedollarshort's grocery choices. If you just want to make a general comment about the topic, it is better to use the "post reply" button instead of the "quote" button.

Last edited:
When I see people with 7 figure portfolios crying about the cost of cable tv or streaming services.

Ha! We’re those people. DH and I were just talking this evening about how great it’s been to kill our cox service and move to internet and streaming. We’re saving a LOT of money a year with no significant decrease in service or content. You won’t find me complaining that Netflix raised their prices by a dollar, but I am so, so happy to have an alternative to the cable companies and their monopolies! I’m just thankful we had an alternative Internet offering.

Eta, you won’t find us paying big bucks for entertainment in general though. I’ve been to maybe three professional sports games in my life and all but one was through work.

This is a biggie for me. Especially cars and stuff like that. Have to sleep on it. And yet the dealers always try that "what can I do to get you in this car Today?" stuff and I look at them like they have 2 heads.

That’s because the majority of high profit sales are impulse buys. But it is smarter to do your homework before the purchase, which is essentially sleeping on it for a few days or weeks. So when the salesman ask that question, I know exactly what to answer. Then I watch his face drop as he realizes “dang it, an informed buyer”. You have to be able to say “nope” & “no thanks” and walk away. The key to remember is the situation must be that they want to sell the car more than you want to buy it. If not, you are at the losing end. They sell cars every day. You might buy once every 5-10 years. Who is better equipped for the sale?

I do many of the things here, and always have because they are green and I despise waste & pollution. When I bought our retirement home, energy efficiency by design was very important. High efficiency tankless hot water heater saves a small fortune, as does all LED lighting and super insulation. HE washer (agitatorless top loader, front loaders suck) and dishwashers save a lot as well.

Forget the bacon grease stuff, the health consequences way out weigh the cost saving.

About the only cost saver actions not listed that I do are to buy the much cheaper non RFID inline filters for the refrigerator and I transferred the bypass RFID to the fridge itself. So the fridge always says “unfiltered water” when it use, but it saves a lot of money when a 2 pack of GE filters is $60 vs a 3 pack of non RFID name brand filters for about $15. When we get a lot of fuel points at Krogers due to specials, we bring both cars when near empty and I fill them consecutively to hit closer to the 30 gal limit. On 90cents/gal discount, thats $9 on 10 extra gallons.

But for the most part, I do most cost savings/environmental conscious things that require little to no effort. (Yes, my shower still has hotel shampoo in it, but DW is VERY picky about her products). But really, I am not frugal to save money vs enjoyment or health. I don’t blow dough for the sake of spending to feel good, or like most here, I wouldn’t be where I am.

But I’m not afraid to spend one bit. So we don’t own inexpensive cars when bought, but have only bought “new” (twice) when they were dealer demos or last years models. And I do all my own maintenance but it sure is nice to have 3 years of maintenance covered for a break. I even bought a low rise lift 12 years ago, that has paid for it self and saved me thousands doing repairs that cannot be done easily without one or allow me to rotate tires and change oil in no time vs taking it somewhere and paying for it. And I can sell the lift tomorrow for 75% of what I paid. Good tools used often have a great ROI.

If I can save (thereby make even more since payments are after tax) a $100/hr doing it myself, well why wouldn’t I if it’s something in my wheelhouse. I won’t shingle a roof or hang (a lot of) drywall, but I installed a quiet TOTL disposal and bathroom fans, to replace the contractor grade crap installed in the house, that they wanted INSANE prices to have done.

Last edited:
I save $100 per month by switching my TV from Spectrum to Youtube TV (even after the recent price increase). I get all the same channels and much better DVR on Youtube YV.

I don't feel I am missing out on any entertainment by doing that. I spend my dollars where I really get the bang for the buck--like my 3 trips to New Zealand and 10 trips to Scotland (preCovid).

I've found that many money saving habits are also environmentally good. I mean actually good, not feel-good, virtue signaling.

Bottling companies have been telling us that for 20 years. It is the reason all water and soda bottles are now impossibly thin to the point of total collapse when you use them. Their reason is environment. I'm sure materials cost had nothing to do with it.;)

I still agree with you though. I try to fix as much stuff as possible instead of buying new. I still have a perfectly usable 40 year old table top fan. Very simple design, and still safe. The only fix I had to do was re-solder a wire that came off a terminal.

Last edited:

+1

Frugality, like safe driving, is a habit. Once you get in the habit at stopping at every stop sign, even at 2:27 AM when you are sure there isn't another car within a quarter mile of you, you will also stop that one time you just didn't' see that intoxicated gal in the Hummer bearing down on the intersection at 55 mph.

I learned a long time ago that a big cable bill did not provide me with the $120+ of satisfaction every month. Never had cable, and unless I move to a more rural area, I doubt if I ever will. The same goes with paying $300+ a night to stay at a 5* hotel in downtown or trading in my perfectly fine late model cars every 3 years.

FWIW, when I fly I do splurge on Premium Economy, but that is because I have long legs and big feet. I could have had a great career as a clown on stilts. :LOL:

Very long time lurker emerging to post about frugality

Turn the peanut butter jars upside down for a few days before opening to allow the oil to redistribute. Makes the eventual scrape at the end a little easier.

The bacon grease corollary: When trimming excess fat, render the bits and use the fat in later stir-fries. By the way, some butchers will sell entire pounds of chicken skin, which can be rendered into delicious schmaltz and gribenins (sp?).

Shampoo and conditioner are not necessary. Rinse your hair in warm water and brush thoroughly. The first few days of making this transition can be bumpy, but your hair will be in better condition.

We also press the soap sliver into the next bar. I wrap the combo in my scrubbing cloth for a day to seal the bars together. I don't know what to call the cloth. I discovered it in a Japanese hotel and found a replacement years later in a Korean market: a long, nubbley, woven plastic cloth that you can use to scrub your whole body, and it feels great. While the water is turned off, of course.

Compost is a fantastic recycler. We have a worm bin indoors and compost tumblers outdoors. A day's worth of kitchen scraps wrapped in a sheet of newspaper go into the worm bin. Used paper towels go into the worm bin. The insane amount of paper that comes in Amazon shipments also get used to wrap scraps for the worms. Most of our clothing is natural fibers, so ancient torn underwear and holey socks can get torn up and added to the compost. That takes longer to break down, so I save that for the last pre-winter batch which will sit out there for months.

Didn't everyone's grandma used to save bread wrappers and twisties ? The bread wrappers went over your socks in the winter time before you put on your boots

I thought everybody used bread bags in their boots! How else would you keep your hand me down socks dry?

You had boots? Our mom put the bread bags over our socks and shoes. :LOL:

Bottling companies have been telling us that for 20 years. It is the reason all water and soda bottles are now impossibly thin to the point of total collapse when you use them. Their reason is environment. I'm sure materials cost had nothing to do with it.;)
In my mind, anyone in a place with reasonable water infrastructure who has a single use, plastic water bottle in their hand is both a spendthrift and a pox on the environment - unless the bottle is from 1990, then I'll give them a pass. :LOL:

You may not have intended to, but when you directly quote someone, it is assumed that you are responding to their specific post. So most people, including me, assumed you had some issue with daylatedollarshort's grocery choices. If you just want to make a general comment about the topic, it is better to use the "post reply" button instead of the "quote" button.

Got it.My apologies.

I think the "pet peeves" thread is calling you. ;)

YES!!! I will go find it if it exists.
Sorry for intruding here.
To be clear I am not a fan of the pricing tactics of Directv or cable. I tried a free trial of Hulu live because I could watch my NBA /NFL. The picture quality was horrible vs Directv watching live sports. So I will pay more to enjoy what I enjoy watching.

Back
Top Bottom