Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
I am still getting 5% cash back on pay-at-the-pump gas with the PenFed VISA card.

Me too. Didn’t realize it’s a legacy card. Guess we’ll need to make sure we don’t give it up. I’m actually surprised it still pays 5%! I combine with grocery points, car wash discount and nickel off Thursday and pay 50 cents less than posted price.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have two Visa cards with Penfed. The Platinum Cash Rewards Visa still pays 5% on gas at the pump but all other rewards have been eliminated; use another card if you have to pay inside or you'll get NOTHING. Also, at some point, I had to add a $500 direct deposit to keep this card.

My other card is the Platinum Rewards Visa Signature. This was the one where they devalued the points. I use it only for grocery stores effectively getting back 2.55%.
gear2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I still keep a tiny account with them solely for the 5% cash back credit card at gas stations, but everything else left their hands long ago.
I keep a $1000 CD there to get that card also. One of the good things they have. I wanted to use their card when I went to Italy a few years ago and asked if they could increase my $5000 credit limit by a couple of thousand dollars. They turned me down!.... And I have an 830+ credit score.. WTF!
Tracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
The people that bought out house in June used PenFed for a mortgage. If their realtor hadn’t called PenFed every day, the deal never would have closed on time.
I had to do a doubletake when I read this comment. My daughter bought a house in June financed by PenFed and this is EXACTLY what happened to her! PenFed has been less than impressive recently.
paul5795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I sure hope they fix these issues. I have a bunch of CDs that will probably go elsewhere in Jan. Besides the 5% gas card their Premium Online Savings is pretty decent. It’s 0.8% after dropping a bit like everybody else.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Me too. My 10yr, 5%, CD's mature end of this year. Time to move on. Penfed use to be a leader in rates, service.

They just closed my Penfed credit card, for lack of use. So sad.....presume management changes....
wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Me too. My 10yr, 5%, CD's mature end of this year. Time to move on. Penfed use to be a leader in rates, service.

They just closed my Penfed credit card, for lack of use. So sad.....presume management changes....

That is impressive.
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been slowly rolling some PenFed CDs into their Premium Savings. It's actually a better rate at the moment. When I took out the CDs they were the best rate available. I'll probably keep the Premium Savings account for now.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Me too. My 10yr, 5%, CD's mature end of this year. Time to move on..

We’ll have a thread to toast them farewell. I remember how tough it was to make a ten year commitment at the time. I think they had limited availability and a countdown clock for reservations to get the 10 yr special. Looking back I wish I’d bought more! Maybe they’ll offer a good deal to reduce the flow of outgoing funds.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

No surprise. High rates and great service? In the era of negative rates and call India for help?

Must have been losing big bucks. Time to stop the bleeding.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Their customer service has only been adequate. Using their car buying program, I did get a 4 year car loan in 2015 whose rate was 1% lower than the then average interest on savings. The car price was great and the loan got approved right away. I also have their CC and like others here, only use it for the gas 5% cashback rewards. I renewed various certificates in late 2018 when their rates were 3.5% which was actually a bit lower than some other CUs but more convenient. I wont be staying with them unless their rates will be more competitive.