What is your age and your AA for your nest egg?

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am 67yo, retired. I have my nest egg in index funds, TIRA. My AA is 60/40. I have been fairly risk-averse but now, am wondering if I should maybe be more aggressive. From my parents' history I could live into the 90s.

So, I was wondering what other folks are doing with their nest egg. It is a function of age, I think so, also what is your age?

Thx

Over 70 and 100% in fixed income.

67 yo, 50/50 index funds, TIRA and roth, taxable account, annuity. Living off the annuity, SS, and cash withdrawals if I need extra.

OP here ...
My wife is still working and we are still bailing out adult kids so, our final retirement budget is still not set. Should be stable in 2-3 yrs. Ugh.

43 years old. 82% equities. That does not count my emergency savings which is all in cash.

OP here ...
My wife is still working and we are still bailing out adult kids so, our final retirement budget is still not set. Should be stable in 2-3 yrs. Ugh.
Good luck with that!

67 and still running the 80/20 thing.

76 and about 80% equities. The equities will mostly end up in our estate for charities and trusts for DS and the grands. So it is long-term money.

IMO optimum AA depends much less on age than it does on the purpose of the stash. If the stash is likely to be needed before death a more conservative AA makes sense. If the stash has a significant longer-term purpose, then (IMO again) the longer-term portion should be in equities. Either way, age doesn't have much to do with it.

Consider a healthy 75YO widow with $100K and another healthy 75YO widow with $10M. Why would anyone think they should have the same AA?

age 74 :wiseone:

47% equities
53% fixed (17% cash, 36% bond funds)

Pretty much the same as it has been all along. Well, OK, way back in the Dark Ages it was 45:55. That AA did well for me during the 2007-2008 mess, so in my charmingly bull-headed obstinate way, I tend to favor something about the same.

SS, mini-pension, and some RMDs are enough to cover my living expenses. Familial longevity. Cautious by nature.

Age 48, over 80% stocks. There is a whole lot more to think about other than age to decide on an AA. I find the articles listed here https://www.aacalc.com/about to be good reading about how things like pension, SS, and net worth also impact what might be an ideal AA for an individual.

There are also studies looking at the optimal AA to maximize long term returns. I think the important point is to pick an AA that you can live with (or a glide path), and then stick with it, and rebalance periodically.

I am working on a new long term allocation and am thinking of 2 years cash (7%), 50% equities, 43% fixed income and alternatives. Currently I am 30% equities and plan to slowly DCA up to 50% over the next year since I can't guess up or down at this point. I am 66.

I am 63 DH is 67 we have 32% in stocks, 56% in short term bond funds, and 12% cash. All at Vanguard. I am reducing our stock exposure for each year we get older.

Almost 70 years old, 60-40. the 40 is almost evenly divided between cash and fixed income, with a bit more in fixed income. Equities mostly Large Cap US. I sold a chunk of equities last July and am cautiously wading back in- plan to keep it simple, mostly ETFs.

I have decent predictable income- high earner and filed for SS on my own record at age 69, and 2 non-COLA pensions of $900/moth each. Essential expenses pretty low- mortgage is only $700 (principle an interest only)- so a dip in the market doesn't affect my ability to pay the bills.

Last edited:
I am 67yo, retired. I have my nest egg in index funds, TIRA. My AA is 60/40. I have been fairly risk-averse but now, am wondering if I should maybe be more aggressive. From my parents' history I could live into the 90s.

So, I was wondering what other folks are doing with their nest egg. It is a function of age, I think so, also what is your age?

Thx

72 (me) and 71 (her). roughly 60/40 but we keep ~$600,000 in cash.

64 (me) 65 (DW), currently at 33/55/12 stocks/bonds/cash. Have a pension + DW SS that cover a lot of our expenses, so only have to draw a little from cash. In theory we could be more aggressive, but for now this suits us fine.

I'm 59, and my target equity allocation is somewhere in the region of 75%. With the recent drop in the market, it is currently at 64%. I'm fine with that. The only rebalancing I have done since retiring 10-12 years ago has been as a side-product of selling equities to generate income to fund my living expenses. That worked quite well in the long bear market. I'm also fine with a wide variation in my AA, so don't anticipate performing a transaction purely for the purpose of rebalancing in the near to mid-term future. We'll see.

This should be a pole somehow. I'd like to see the AA for varying ages of those on this E-R forum. And someone can plot out a graph that might yield something of interest. For me its 80-20 at age 55. But right now any extra cent I get I flow into my Schwab MM SWVXX at 4.27%, so thats's moving me more towards 70-30.

Back
Top Bottom