What is your age and your AA for your nest egg?

Going on age 72 and ~ 70/30. The 70% is a mixture of index funds, ETFs, stock, 30% is MMFs, CDs and cash. Have everything pretty much on automatic and rebalance once year usually in Jan. This year I actually ended up throwing money into my total stock market index fund as well as an NASDAQ index fund.

I'm 61, DW 62. We live on 2 pensions and dividends. SS still to come.

The portfolio is currently 80/20. I'm slowly working it toward 100/0.

The PV of our pensions and SS is almost as big as the portfolio. So it makes little sense to hold fixed income in the portfolio.

The main purpose of the portfolio is long-term inflation protection, not current income. One pension is non-COLA, the other has a partial COLA. Secondary goals are LTC protection and legacy.

Our biggest ongoing issue is the mental transition from LBYM to BTD. Evidently, we are abysmal failures.

The PV of our pensions and SS is almost as big as the portfolio. So it makes little sense to hold fixed income in the portfolio.

The main purpose of the portfolio is long-term inflation protection, not current income. One pension is non-COLA, the other has a partial COLA. Secondary goals are LTC protection and legacy.

Our biggest ongoing issue is the mental transition from LBYM to BTD. Evidently, we are abysmal failures.

Two non-cola pensions (age 60-me and age 62-wife) and two SS (age 62-wife and age 70-me) income would take care of all our expenses.

Just need to make sure I am 100% sure om my plan to bridge the gap to these pensions and to the SS benefits.

Is there a PV calculator for your pension and SS benefits?

61 (me) 71 (DH)
60/40
About 40% of our monthly spend comes from a combo of DH's SS, my tiny non COLAd pensions, and rent from the grant flat. The rest comes from our nest egg.

we are both 66, approx 70/30, primarily for LTC and legacy, and any emergent oops that we can't cash flow for some reason.
Secure income--have two pensions with small cola and SS for living expenses, and take yearly dividends from inherited account (which we gift to our two kids) and are able to save some each month.

One grandparent died age 42, one at 100, parents at 79 and 86, all other relatives all mid to late 80's, so hedging my bets that I live to at least 90's. Plan to age 100 to be extra safe.

Age 59, been ERed for the last 14 years. Single, no kids.

S/B/C is 39/59/2. Furthermore, for the first time ever, that AA is the same for my tIRA and taxable account! I live off the income from the big bond fund in the taxable account.

60 have a COLA pension that covers the non discretionary spending. 85/15 AA.

Both 61 in our first year of retirement. Current AA 80/20 with about 32% of spend covered by one cola'd & one non cola'd pension until SS at 70. Then about 80% covered by those sources.

56 years old. 100% equity, but ~1year of expenses in cash so technically like 97% equity.

Almost 57 and 100% stocks lots of individual stocks with Dividends and a few ETF's and will stay 100% stocks when I retire but all will be in 4 ETF's.

77/76. Good pension as long as I’m breathing
50 equity/45 fixed/5 cash
Equity all in indexes (some of it TR/LS)
No plans to change

Almost 57 and 100% stocks lots of individual stocks with Dividends and a few ETF's and will stay 100% stocks when I retire but all will be in 4 ETF's.

What are the 4 ETFs?

So, I was wondering what other folks are doing with their nest egg. It is a function of age, I think so, also what is your age?

Thx

Yes & No, not really, depends, lots of ways to skin a cat... how's that for an answer??

58/58, retired last year and went to effectively a 2 bucket system: Bucket 1 - 10 year bond/some cash ladder, Bucket 2: Diversified stock portfolio rebalanced annually. This floats my AA depending upon current valuations/balances... currently around 70/30. As others have said, lots of variables such as risk tolerance, how tight your expenses are, return expectations, WR. I made my (call it AA) decision based on the following factors...

- 10 YR Bond ladder of highly discretionary planned spend should insulate me from (most) market down turns allowing stocks to recover
- Mid 2% WR based on current balances
- Currently have my planned spend growing 3%/yr, but I have lot's of levers to pull if the $hit hits the fan which allows me to absorb any lumpy inflationary hits.
- Underwriting 5% average annual growth on portfolio, which I think is conservative, especially where individual bond yields are at today
- My MO is more of a "won the game, so keep playing" mentality. No hard and fast legacy goals, but I like to see things grow.

So that's just me. In today's interest rate environment I could probably make an argument to go 100% bonds, but so far, i like my plan.

Age is one of many factors but, it is a factor.
If I am 70yo I am planning for a shorter time left than a 50yo. Not looking for any advice for my AA just, am curious what other folks do.

Anyway, there are so many factors but, I like to keep the question simple and see what kind of range of AA for different ages.

Age is one of many factors but, it is a factor.
If I am 70yo I am planning for a shorter time left than a 50yo. Not looking for any advice for my AA just, am curious what other folks do.

Anyway, there are so many factors but, I like to keep the question simple and see what kind of range of AA for different ages.

Right....to me investment time horizon is the much bigger consideration and not just age. Barring a tragedy, if you're in decent health and retire at 50-55 you're looking at a 20-30+ year time frame. Thats a looonnnggg time ! Hence, my large % in equities.

Back
Top Bottom