What is your age and your AA for your nest egg?

68 & 66, see sig line for target AA. But I don’t think AA correlates to age alone (confirmed in replies above), depends on risk tolerance, understanding of various asset classes, interest in managing investments and most of all - whether ‘you’ve already won the game or not.’

Age 61 and 63. 0% stocks. 90% bonds/cash. 10% commodities. No pensions. Involuntary early retirement/"lean" FIRE.

Age 62
60/40
Except two years living cost, in stacked cds

Agree about the importance of the context.

64 years old with 30-60-10 allocation. No desired legacy to consider so goal is to say goodbye to planet earth with zero. Most important priority is to avoid any drastic portfolio fluctuations which could alter plans for enjoying the healthy years I have now that are not guaranteed to anybody forever.

70 yrs old. 63% equities, 28% bonds, 6% RE debt, 3% cash.
Equites consist mostly of Life Strategy Growth and Wellesley.
Context: some income, mostly legacy.

Last edited:
Lol, kids....the gift that keeps on giving 🤣. I can't complain though, my parents bailed me out a time or two
I really should be able to claim mine as a dependent on my tax return. :)

Age 68
20/80 but the 80 includes not only bonds but RE, deferred fixed annuities, cd's, gold etc...
See signature.

Equities/bonds/cash

45/30/25

age 54 (DH) 53 (me)

Our social security, even if reduced in the future, along with 3 COLA’d pensions will cover our annual expenses 3 fold so we tend to be more conservative with our investments.

When I was working, I was almost 100% equities.

When I retired early just before 40 I set up a retirement fund about 60/40.

Now 23 years later, age 63, my retirement assets are around 50/50.

Stil living on investments alone.

52. 100% equities. But have about 3 years in cash (money market), so maybe 91-0-9 in reality.

Context - no pensions, no debt. Plan to move in next year - use home proceeds plus cash to move & buy in new place.

60 years old. Live off investments with a part time gig mostly for fun, but puts about $15k a year in my pocket. Ends up being blow it money.
We are 30/70. Every planning tool says we can be 0/100 with 100% success. No heirs, just charities to pass our assets to.
The 70% is in two bond ladders, a tax free and a taxable. We also own two closed end fixed income funds and have a real estate holding outside of our own home.
We receive almost 50% more in income from the ladders than what we spend. We spend freely, live in a very nice house, in a desirable neighborhood, have nice cars, etc. Equities and real estate are part of the mix as an inflation hedge. Our goals are high current income, capital preservation following by moderate growth.
I hold only a few months of cash because the ladders throw off funds virtually every month. We have no emergency fund. I carry a sub 3% mortgage which I have no plans to pay off. The investment arbitrage works for us and I like the tax benefit of it.
Our asset allocation has survived two bear markets and now with fixed income paying what it is, its just a bonus.

Last edited:
I’m 58. DW is 59. We’re at 60/40. I still work per diem 8 hrs/wk.

All of this means nothing without other context.

I was thinking this too. Pre-Heart attack: What will I do if I don't die young and have to keep spending till I'm 99...? Post-Heart attack: What do I have left? 10 years if 'm lucky...? Maybe 12...? Then I think of Mom. BIG heart attack at 70, lived to 88 with no further major medical events. What will I do...?

Early 60s, and 40/60 stocks/fixed income. Very little of the fixed income has market risk.

Need to be on the conservative side because we don't have sufficient cash to stop our retirement account draws in a bear market. May move back towards 50-55% stocks once we're both collecting Social Security.

Last edited:
67 yo. Currently 3/97, I've won the game and no longer need to play... in capital preservation mode so we are never a burden to our kids.

The 3% isn't really in stocks but in OTM LEAP calls on SPY expiring in Dec 2023 bought in 2021 and Dec 2024 bought in 2022... looks like the 2023 will definitely be losers and not so sure on the 2024.

67 yo. Currently 3/97, I've won the game and no longer need to play... in capital preservation mode so we are never a burden to our kids.

The 3% isn't really in stocks but in OTM LEAP calls on SPY expiring in Dec 2023 bought in 2021 and Dec 2024 bought in 2022... looks like the 2023 will definitely be losers and not so sure on the 2024.

That has to be a great feeling. No kids here. Hoping to retire this year (age 56) or in 2024 (age 57).

Us to! +100

Back
Top Bottom