What percentage of your net worth would you spend to have teeth?

My mother-in-law has been suffering from oral cancer surgery/implants for over a year now. Her oral cancer probably was caused by ill-fitting dentures. She had her dental implants done at our local dental college (university). I don't know how much it would have cost from a private dentist but even thru the dental college it was a BIG expense $14,000 or $17,000 (?) for two posts lowers only. The implant placement was done by the teaching staff...no students...they only observed.

Alternative? Go make a Loan..How you say?

1. Put up the $ you need at your bank into CD's, ladder them according to each yr the loan amt. is reduced
2. Use the CD's as collateral
3. say for 5 yrs? In 5 yrs you have both, your new teeth and most of your $ as well.

Just a thought to consider..if you know you won't be able to pay the $ back to your savings..Most of us never do..

;0)

Thanks for the responses so far. Sarah in SC I agree, I would never go to a foreign country for this. I put the kitchen thing in as it is a real situation, but I agree does not compare to a medical thing like this. I think this thing could end up costing 4% of my retirement portfolio, or more. I have satisfied myself though extensive research that dental implants and bone grafting (which I will need) is a very common procedure, not technically difficult and has a high degree (90%) of success. I could just get new choppers for a tenth of the cost, but in the long term I could still end up in a nursing home with my teeth in a glass and slurping Ensure to get nutrition. :D If I have it done and drop dead a day later I hope they bury me with a big expensive smile on my face.

Thanks for the responses so far. Sarah in SC I agree, I would never go to a foreign country for this. I put the kitchen thing in as it is a real situation, but I agree does not compare to a medical thing like this. I think this thing could end up costing 4% of my retirement portfolio, or more. I have satisfied myself though extensive research that dental implants and bone grafting (which I will need) is a very common procedure, not technically difficult and has a high degree (90%) of success. I could just get new choppers for a tenth of the cost, but in the long term I could still end up in a nursing home with my teeth in a glass and slurping Ensure to get nutrition. :D If I have it done and drop dead a day later I hope they bury me with a big expensive smile on my face.

Yep - interesting thread. My evil mind wondered - so if I invested 4% of my portfolio in my teeth - would I then snare a hot chick with her own FIRE portfolio AND could the rest of me keep up with the new teeth and hot chick?

Ya know Ensure and and teeth in a glass - speaking cheap (aka CB wise) and frugal might not be that bad - long term - as it were.

heh heh heh - :D

This thread just made me brush my teeth again. I want to take these [-]suckers[/-] biters to the grave.

You could always try a dental college. I had a college buddy who had a bunch of work done that way.

My implant and crown was about $4K. A guy at work just had complete uppers done over the course of last year. He is in the Navy and got it done thru them.

They may have a 0% plan available. No clue what the cost would be tho. My first implant post got infected and had to be removed. The second time was much more relaxed since I knew what I was getting into. Its not that bad at all, tho the oral surgeon wanted to get a perfect placement and peeled back a lot of gum. That was the part that hurt for a week! Not the bone where he drilled.

Cool, so your suggestion is for me to join the Navy to have my teeth fixed? I think I am over the age limit or I might consider it.

Notmuchlonger, if my post prompts people to take better care of their teeth, it has some benefit! Don't just brush, floss properly and often and get cleaned twice a year.

I am not willing to give arms, legs, or teeth up without a fight and I will spend whatever it takes for reasonable, recommended medical or dental treatment to keep my teeth/arms/legs.

My advice? Do without the kitchen. Get the teeth fixed.

WantTo, good answer, but the real question I am asking is -how does one quantify what is a "reasonable" amount for their situation?

The possibility of needing follow up care is definitely a consideration in thinking about medical/dental treatment overseas. I think I've changed my mind: I wouldn't do it.

WantTo, good answer, but the real question I am asking is -how does one quantify what is a "reasonable" amount for their situation?

By reasonable, I mean medically reasonable. I would talk to my dentist, get a consult, find out if the procedure is one that is commonly done for people in my situation and if it has a reasonable chance of being successful. (I know, there's that word "reasonable" again - - talk to your dentist). If it is something that is done all the time, and has a decent probability of saving my tooth, I would go ahead. I don't think that price is the issue, here.

You can always get more things, but you can't always get more body parts.

Last edited:
Want2, thanks. Yes, I have even obtained a second opinion from another dentist. All very reasonable and now, given medical advances, dental implants even with bone grafts, if necessary, are common with success rates in the 90%+ for non smokers. The bone for the graft come from cadavers. But they tell me it is not like the old black and white scary movies with Boris Karloff running around at night grave robbing. I asked.

I can see the next push from government. 'Free dental care for everyone' How many are without dental insurance? Family must choose between teeth and shelter!

Want2, thanks. Yes, I have even obtained a second opinion from another dentist. All very reasonable and now, given medical advances, dental implants even with bone grafts, if necessary, are common with success rates in the 90%+ for non smokers. The bone for the graft come from cadavers. But they tell me it is not like the old black and white scary movies with Boris Karloff running around at night grave robbing. I asked.

Then if it was me, I'd have the procedure done despite the high cost. Who knows what life will bring? But no matter what your future, you would be able to face life with all of your teeth. :)

Edited to add: AND, with a great big smile like this: :D Sure beats a new kitchen that will look old and beat up eventually.

Last edited:
Be sure to ask for stainless steel incisors and granite countertops for the molars, too :)

I may be hopelessly out of date with this, but I've never seen a hospital in another country that I'd want to be in. I had to laugh at a Jamaican friend who was telling me how great medical care was in Cuba (!) I guess compared to Jamaica, it is fantastic, but I'm sure as heck not going there!
I have. In fact, I've seen about just as many here in the US that are nothing to look forward to. In my limited experience average health care - including dental - here in the US is not different from average care in many countries around the world - developing and developed.

Regarding medical tourism, I am not an advocate for any medical procedure where the performing doctor will not be around to provide post-procedure care. That said, what difference is there between traveling within the US for treatment vs going overseas.
I can¨t face the pain entailed in the whole process.I´ve only heard horror stories. Everybody has told me that they had suffered a lot in the process and some of them aren´t happy at all with the results.
Vicente - just do it. The anticipation is always worse than the treatment itself. Besides, all Spaniards complain - about everything. It's a national pastime. :)

MichaelB:
I must remind you that fear of dentists is universal. I only have to remember two novels Marathon Man and Falls The Shadow.....
And it isn´t as if I´ve never visited a dentist. Between 2 of them they pulled all my upper teeth and made me a couple of dentures sets.
I know that in the end I´ll have to go. But as Woody Allen said referring to death-It´s not that I´m afraid of it, I just don´t want to be there when it happens.

Vicente, I understand, and also avoid dentists. But after every visit I always have the exact same thought

"It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, there was more discomfort than pain, my teeth and mouth feel better, so I am not going to delay ever again". Then I delay. Just goes to show that people are not rational...

Dental phobia

Many dentists now offer the option of conscious sedation for procedures and will bring in an "ambulatory" anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist. Of course, you will be charged a fee for this in addition to the restoration fee. Oral surgeons can administer anesthesia when they do an implant or bone graft as they get considerable training in this area in their residency programs. Your general health will be evaluated to see if you are a candidate for in-office anesthesia procedures. I opted to go this route when I had my implant placed and it was great. You will have to bring someone to drive you home if you choose this option.

MichaelB:
I must remind you that fear of dentists is universal. I only have to remember two novels Marathon Man and Falls The Shadow.....
And it isn´t as if I´ve never visited a dentist. Between 2 of them they pulled all my upper teeth and made me a couple of dentures sets.
I know that in the end I´ll have to go. But as Woody Allen said referring to death-It´s not that I´m afraid of it, I just don´t want to be there when it happens.

With your upper teeth already gone and the gums healed and somewhat used to wearing dentures you are a long way toward having implants with only a bit of the discomfort. You do understand that the benefit of implants on the uppers is that there is no need for the upper plate covering the roof of your mouth? The denture is held in via little O-rings that push over ball-tipped posts. They stay in place really well (4 posts for the uppers in our case). You do want to have a good dentist that does not penetrate the sinus cavity on upper post installation.

MichaelB:
I must remind you that fear of dentists is universal.

I confess to that malady. Then, I found a solution.

A sadistic dentist removed my wisdom teeth in 1975. Swore off dentists. In 99 I lost a filling and finally broke down. In the meantime a friend had graduated from dentistry and managed to get 20+ years experience. Tried him out. He had the cutest young thing helping him. Really kept my mind off what was happening to me. That's the key. Don't worry about the dentist. The assistant can distract you enough that you don't care when the procedure ends. I actually went back.

As to costs, well, here in the frozen north a replacement filling and a crown came to $600 2 years ago.

If I have more than mild discomfort, I ask the dentist to give me more drugs. Repeat as often as necessary.

Kumquat, funny you mentioned that. My dentist has a gorgeous tech named Naomi whom I have developed the hots for. Makes it all worth it.

Back
Top Bottom