gum grafts due to teeth grinding?

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Out of the blue the hygienist asks me about my gum rescission - me "what rescission" last time I was there you said gums in good shape (I go every 6 months).

So dentist comes in and without even looking says oh its much worse because you grind your teeth and you refused the mouth guard (true) so you need to see the perio.

So I very reluctantly agreed to TRY the guard - I think chances of success approach zero tbh I cannot sleep as it is etc etc. and made an appointment for several weeks out for the perio. I will not have insurance after 3/31 unless i do cobra.

But google is a mixed bag on if a graft would be of any use at all in this situation particularly if i fail at the guard (again I think this is likely but it has not been made yet).

I find it difficult to believe I am a walking mess despite no pain but maybe?

Anyone had this specifically for teeth grinding? Or know if i can wait?

When they were taking xrays I said look carefully I need you to find a problem today while I have insurance so that may have been what brought it up. IDK. I do not trust this dentist to begin with as she tried to crown the wrong tooth last time. . .

Last edited:
Simple solution: Go to another dentist and get a new opinion.

Dentist mentioned a gum graft (due to braces in my teens vs grinding teeth)
something about having cadaver tissue
in my mouth
didn't seem like something I wanted.

Simple solution: Go to another dentist and get a new opinion.

Well I can't get in to the one I wanted to change to for some months so while that is an option it is not one I can do reasonably fast. (I wanted to change in Jan but they were booking for May and insurance ends 3/31 so I opted to keep the old one.)

And with no insurance am not sure how many bills I feel like wracking up. Right now I am waiting on the guard to be made and the perio appt and googling. i figured if this was common one of you might know.

Last edited:
The grinding also wiggles the teeth involved allowing bacteria to enter into the gum pockets making your periodontitis accelerate.

Logical if anyone told me i had that but they always been very pleased that i have good gums (kind of crap teeth fwiw).

Is your dentist's name "Haney" by any chance?

That went over my head though I did find a pro boxer with that name.

Logical if anyone told me i had that but they always been very pleased that i have good gums (kind of crap teeth fwiw).

Strange. Time for a second opinion. Upselling has become increasingly bad in dentistry. Car salesmen can't hold a candle.

Originally Posted by razztazz
Is your dentist's name "Haney" by any chance?

The TV show Green Acres. The character Mr Haney was always trying to sell some unneeded, over-hyped product, or if it was needed a broken sample, to Oliver Wendel Douglas. Usually in a transparent, amateurish attempt to simply push his "latest must have product" or old junk, on an unsuspecting customer.

Last edited:
A few years ago I had an issue where I had to see a periodontist for the grinding issue. I got the required treatments and also a custom bite guard and had very good results. I also learned to take flossing seriously.

I also have receding gums in the lower front. My dad had the same issue. He got the graft done and it didn't take and fell off. He lived to 90 without the receding gum issue ever becoming a problem. He still had the front lower teeth with the receding gum.

So when my periodontist recommended that I have a graft done to correct my receding gum I went along with the idea and made an appointment. Then I looked it up online and saw that they carve a chunk (technical dental term) of tissue off of the roof of your mouth and sew it onto your gum that needs it. I decided I didn't want to have the procedure done and cancelled it.

This was in 2009 and my teeth with the receding gum are just fine. At my dental visits the hygienist and dentist have never mentioned that this could become a problem. I'm happy with my decision.

When they were taking xrays I said look carefully I need you to find a problem today while I have insurance so that may have been what brought it up. IDK. I do not trust this dentist to begin with as she tried to crown the wrong tooth last time. . .

You set up the opportunity and they took you up on it. They love patients like you!

Last edited:
Way back in around 2003, my dentist, who I'd been with all my life, retired and sold out to some bigger group. When they got me in for the first checkup, the new dentist saw this one "low spot" on the gum in front of one of my teeth, and almost went into hysterics. He said something like "We're going to have to do a skin graft, pronto, or we're going to lose the tooth!" It sounded so phoney I almost blurted out "Cut, Print, That's a Wrap!"

I told him it had been that way since I was maybe 13 or 14, and if it was so serious, how come my former dentist had never mentioned it. Man, you should have seen how snippy this new guy got...how DARE I question him!!

Needless to say, I found a new dentist. Well, eventually. That shyster turned me off to dentists so bad that I didn't go to another one until 2011, one that a friend referred me to. In those ~8 years, I ended up needing two fillings and a crown. I asked him to look at that low spot on the gum. He said it seemed okay, but he'd keep an eye on it. Now, here it is, 2023, and it's no worse.

So, I dunno...is this dentist someone you really, truly trust? If not, you might want to look for a second opinion.

The TV show Green Acres. The character Mr Haney was always trying to sell some unneeded, over-hyped product, or if it was needed a broken sample, to Oliver Wendel Douglas. Usually in a transparent, amateurish attempt to simply push his "latest must have product" or old junk, on an unsuspecting customer.

Sounds like a combination of Mr. Haney's salesmanship, and Mr. Kimball's expertise.

I had a whole mouth periodontal scaling done almost 20 years ago. My dentist cut open the gum, scraped the plaque, then sewed back. After healing, my gums were all receding. My dentist measures the pockets once a year. Mostly are 3mm and 4mm. I often wonder if I did not have the scaling done, the same pockets would be 5mm and 6mm??

He seems to be fine with my status and never mentions further gum grafting needed. The only special thing is that I have been doing cleaning 4 times a year since.

So when my periodontist recommended that I have a graft done to correct my receding gum I went along with the idea and made an appointment. Then I looked it up online and saw that they carve a chunk (technical dental term) of tissue off of the roof of your mouth and sew it onto your gum that needs it. I decided I didn't want to have the procedure done and cancelled it.

This was in 2009 and my teeth with the receding gum are just fine. At my dental visits the hygienist and dentist have never mentioned that this could become a problem. I'm happy with my decision.

You set up the opportunity and they took you up on it. They love patients like you!

Yeah I meant if I had cavities on the xray!

But thank you for sharing your story I can't really imagine having surgery to fix something that does not show or hurt or . . . . I mean of course I want to be sensible and keep my teeth. . . but . . .

So, I dunno...is this dentist someone you really, truly trust? If not, you might want to look for a second opinion.

I have a fair to poor opinion of this one so far.

I grind my teeth, I have a mouth guard fitted and made buy the dentist, thin, easy to put in, only took a couple of nights to get used to wearing.
I also have receding gums, measure 3,4, and 5 pockets. I get regular dental care, brush and floss 2-3 times daily. No dentist in the past has ever mentioned gum repair or grafts. The hygienist just cleans and scrapes every 6 months and I also get topical fluoride painted on, even as an adult.

When your insurance ends in March, do you have other insurance starting on? Or will you be self pay? Good opportunity to find a new dentist.

I grind my teeth, I have a mouth guard fitted and made buy the dentist, thin, easy to put in, only took a couple of nights to get used to wearing.
I also have receding gums, measure 3,4, and 5 pockets. I get regular dental care, brush and floss 2-3 times daily. No dentist in the past has ever mentioned gum repair or grafts. The hygienist just cleans and scrapes every 6 months and I also get topical fluoride painted on, even as an adult.

When your insurance ends in March, do you have other insurance starting on? Or will you be self pay? Good opportunity to find a new dentist.

Thanks pacergal. That is SOOOOO comforting that I might not need it. They never mention pockets so they must not be bad idk?

Then when they were scanning to make the guard the lady said it took her "months" to get used to hers. I don't have a clear idea how bad this thing is like a glorified retainer or like a hunk of cement you know?

I could do cobra at $45 a month I guess. I read a lot of old threads where people did not think dental was worth the price and am unsure.

My mouth guard was fitted via the old "bite down on the gunk" to form. The finished product kind of reminds me of the Invisalign products for braces: thin, clear, inflexible. I soak in hot water for a minute before inserting. Fits tight.

I am not sure how they would define receding gums/gum pockets without measuring, but I am not a dentist or hygienist.

It depends on what that $45 dental insurance covers. When I retired, we only had a $1500/ year benefit, the cost for insurance was $60/month, preventative care was free, so we still came out ahead if work was needed.

+1
One thing that really helped my gums was using a Sonicare for brushing. I wasn't even doing it every time, but the hygienist asked what I was doing differently.

My wife has issues with deep pockets. Her mother did, too. Since mom saw her son, the dentist for treatment, I don't think it's was a ripoff. They've done several things for DW before scaling and planning, and now she's using the OTC brushing sticks like I remember her DM. To date, nobody's mentioned grafts.

I've worn night gaurds for 40 years. I would nubs without them. There's many types, softer and more pliable, harder and less. I've eaten all of them, tell your "dentist" the problem you're having getting used to it. Perhaps it needs adjustment.

I was given the molds, and I believe that's a big chunk of the cost. The lab they used last time was garbage. I'll be asking if they have different options. My last dentist did, I don't think it's uncommon to prefer a softer thin option for your first gaurd.

Anyone know if this mouth guard should cause pain I didn't have before? And if it will go away? Obviously I know ask the dentist. It just is easier to sleep in than I expected but now I get pain the day time!

Last edited:
Why are you still going to the dentist who wanted to crown the wrong tooth?

On my last visit I was told that I needed a gum graft. Dentist showed me the 'damage' on my gum (bottom front tooth).

While I can easily afford the procedure, ($1700), she went into the detail of cutting a piece of skin from my palate and sewing it onto the gum, adding: "it will be very painful for several days".

After that bit of information, I think I'm going to pass. I'm 71 years old; I just need it to hang in there for 15 or 20 years. If/when the tooth goes bad, I'd rather just do a post or a bridge. Had a post last year and it was a breeze.

Anyone know if this mouth guard should cause pain I didn't have before? And if it will go away? Obviously I know ask the dentist. It just is easier to sleep in than I expected but now I get pain the day time!

No, there should be. no pain. Your teeth should not hurt.

Where is it located? It could be that the edges/sides of the mouthguard are too high and digging into your gums. They may need to be thinned down.
If located in your jaw, could be causing some TMJ pain? (temporomandibular jaw)

Pain would warrant a call or visit back to your dentist.

Back
Top Bottom