What's Up With Paypal? (For the Worse)

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Been awhile since I've signed into Paypal.

Logged in today as I intended to pay someone for a baseball ticket bought on my behalf.

I log in, and get greeting with a message that about $20 money is waiting (I think from a previous ebay sale) for me and in order to accept it, I need to sign up for a paypal cash debit card. By accepting, I also accept fees like moving paypal cash to my linked bank.

No where do I find in paypal where I can just check my paypal balance like I'm used to :facepalm:.

What the %%#? Is paypal like the old, dependable friend that now has an attitude and changed?

Attachments

• paypal.jpg
    paypal.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 73
Can you close the window to ignore this message? Or maybe scroll down and find a small 'continue to account' button or link?

I suspect this may be just a promotion to get you to sign up for the new service and the may be paying you a bonus to do so (probably in deferred fees).

Just speculating

-gauss

p.s. This kind of reminds how Vanguard tricked many people into closing down there old legacy Mutual Fund accounts to open brokerage accounts instead.

Last edited:
I use PayPal almost every day and do not get these messages, or any that I cannot ignore for that matter. They do not charge fees to link or transfer to linked accounts.

I tried closing, but from what I see, seem to get into a loop.

In order to accept the money, required or seriously nudged to sign up for their paypal debit card.

I do not get those messages and it has not changed for me. Been using PayPal for many years.

Attaches shows my options. I can get the check free by snail mail or sign up for paypal's debit card.

Nowhere now do I see my paypal balance like the old days. Unless the Money Waiting is the balance -- Confusing!!

Attachments

• paypal options.jpg
    paypal options.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 62
I don't logon to PayPal often, but did so to see if I get these messages. Nope.

I do, however, have a bank account and credit card already attached to allow them to pay me for book sales, so maybe that's why we differ.

Sorry I couldn't help.

As I think more, I think the "Money is waiting for you" is the paypal balance.

I think they are now considering folks who received money electronically for free as freeloaders. They still offer free to receive by snail mail, but sign up for debit card if want to send and receive faster. That's my take.

Okay, think it may have been just a security measure.

There was an option to select a paypal cash account. So I did that. Had to provide my DOB, last 4 digits of SSN. Now when I sign in, shows no more money waiting for me, but back to the way things were in the first place as my Paypal balance.

Still, extra confusion for the sake of confusion, IMO :facepalm:.

Thanks to everyone for your input and I'm sorry if I sounded a false alarm.

So in the past did you ever link a bank account and/or CC to this Paypal account?

-gauss

I have both a cc and checking account linked.

Had I not known this was certainly from paypal, I would have suspected someone phishing for personal info :(.

Attaches shows my options. I can get the check free by snail mail or sign up for paypal's debit card.

Nowhere now do I see my paypal balance like the old days. Unless the Money Waiting is the balance -- Confusing!!

paypal changed the default about the first of the year. If you look closely it's the same as it has been. Cash goes to your bank account in "about a day" for free. I think previously that was the default method. Now they are offering to do it instantly (for a small fee) or put it on a Paypal debit card (fees!)

Just click on the transfer in about a day for free method and you are GTG

They are value engineering the screen to take more of your money. if they charge money on all methods to transfer money there will be a substantial amount of business that goes away from them

Click Keep it in Paypal. Then in 2 days you can transfer to your bank for free. What am I missing?

I use PayPal almost every day and do not get these messages, or any that I cannot ignore for that matter. They do not charge fees to link or transfer to linked accounts.
I think they charge for an "immediately available" money program-no day or two wait for the money to hit the bank. Maybe that is what they are promoting.

I use PayPal every week and I don’t have these issues.

Can you close the window to ignore this message? Or maybe scroll down and find a small 'continue to account' button or link?

I suspect this may be just a promotion to get you to sign up for the new service and the may be paying you a bonus to do so (probably in deferred fees).

Just speculating

-gauss

p.s. This kind of reminds how Vanguard tricked many people into closing down there old legacy Mutual Fund accounts to open brokerage accounts instead.

What :confused: I was tricked .... :eek: :LOL::LOL:

I think that the people who did not get the message were those that were already "verified" accounts and had a cash account created automatically.

We infrequent users are being driven to become "verified" and force to create the new "cash account" and have it linked to our personal account.

I am still iffy about giving them the last four of my SSN, so I may just hold off since I don't receive incoming money on pay pal very often and usually just pay via my linked credit card.

Back
Top Bottom