When To Sell Gold Coins?

yakers

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Dad left me 5 Kugerrands. I have kept them for sentimental reasons; I do not even consider them in my "portfolio". I also have no great use for them, they do not provide any income. I can just hold them forever and pass them on to my son but this is a generic commodity so I do not feel like they need to be passed on as much as their value used or passed on as appropriate.
Seeing as gold has risen to a high level, is it time to sell? I generally don't believe in timing I DCA into index funds, but this would be a case for timing. As the coins were a gift I mentally want to keep the funds separate even though I know rationally that money is fungible. Not to sell is also a decision to hold. Anyone have inherited such items and had to decide whether to hold or when to sell?

The fact he gave you coins meant he believed in them as a store of value, so you could always buy GLD/NYSE with them, and let your son have the proceeds of their sale in the future.??

Other alternatives could be buying shares in a Gold company, and giving proceeds to your son.?

I have several Gold Chains, 22 karat, bought in Saudi Arabia, they were /are for our sons, we never gave them to them because they would have ended up around some girl's neck.

Its a small part of your net worth and it is a tangible, physical momento from your dada. Why not just chuck them in a drawer until it is time to hand them down to your son? They might be a generic commodity, but they are also something your dad gave/left to you, which I would imagine means more than whatever the coins are worth any day of the week.

brewer12345 said:
Its a small part of your net worth and it is a tangible, physical momento from your dada.  Why not just chuck them in a drawer until it is time to hand them down to your son?  They might be a generic commodity, but they are also something your dad gave/left to you, which I would imagine means more than whatever the coins are worth any day of the week.
I feel the same way about my dad's & FIL's slide rules and other eBayable hand-me-downs...

Nords said:
I feel the same way about my dad's & FIL's slide rules and other eBayable hand-me-downs...

Yeah, when my dad is gone, we will doubtless liquidate much of his stock (jewelry), but I imagine that all of us will keep at least a few pieces as momentos.

the problem selling gold privately is you never get the worth....even here in new york city local dealers offered me 20 % below spot for my gold eagle and pandas..i ended up trading them into deak international a big currency and precious metals dealer and even there i took a beating...

Unless you really need the cash, just consider holding them forever ... your Dad probably did see them as a valuable store of value, and they are a nice hedge for a rainy day.

Back
Top Bottom