Where Do You Get Cash? I’m confused...

I wonder if there is a higher rate of tipping now that you really don't want change back?

That's the case for me. We spend little cash, right now, but in those unavoidable circumstances we don't ask for change back.

The quoted post was from 2-25-20, before masks, social distancing and frequent hand sanitizing, etc.

Update....

Well, due to the pandemic we have moved away from using cash and now use contact-less payment via a credit card. We could use our bank account debit card but heck, I may as well get the 1% cash back if I'm going to use plastic!

Our biggest expense, groceries, has been with Walmart grocery pickup or Instacart. We've made a few purchases in stores and pay via credit card rather than interacting with cash and change. Easy enough.

Our Chase Freedom VISA card has 1% cash back with 5% on quarterly categories. Sometimes those categories are useful for us but often are not. Chase just offered me a 1.5% cash back on everything card so I applied for that and it should arrive soon. And there was a nice $200 cash back bonus if you charge $500 in the first 90 days. Yeah, I can easily do that. And I've always paid the bill in full every month. We have no debt and will keep it that way.

Although DH is the one who liked the reality and physical nature of paying with cash he's the one who wanted to avoid the physical exchange involved now that we are in pandemic mode.

Nice to hear you moved into the plastic world ;)

I would use a Credit card long before thinking of using a debit card. Both for the protections provided, the often extended warranties, and the points.

I get just over 5% using my credit card buying groceries Curbside.
I use more than one credit card, so I can maximize the benefits.

Just the other day, I was showing my Uncle the same wad of cash in my wallet from January. Haven't spent a dollar of cash.

I get cash from ATM about $200 every 3 months. I put $60 in my wallet and put the rest in one of 4 hiding places at home. Usually I forget I have it or where I hid it until I find it when I’m stashing cash from another ATM run.

ummm. so what’s the point if you can’t recall where you put it? a few months after we sold my deceased MIL’s home my BIL recalled he may have left his coin collection in the attic. he declined to contact the buyers.

We started using the new Chase card for the 1.5% cash back. Then I got an offer from PenFed for a 2% cash back card if you have their Access America checking account. We just opened that checking account in May for a $200 bonus if you make 5 debit card transactions. Easy enough to get the credit card so now we will start using the 2% cash back card for all purchases.

DH never thinks about money but he said, “You can’t earn much on savings anymore. May as well get something for spending.”

I think he’s been listening [emoji106]

Last edited:
ummm. so what’s the point if you can’t recall where you put it? a few months after we sold my deceased MIL’s home my BIL recalled he may have left his coin collection in the attic. he declined to contact the buyers.

I was trying to be funny.

We started using the new Chase card for the 1.5% cash back. Then I got an offer from PenFed for a 2% cash back card if you have their Access America checking account. We just opened that checking account in May for a $200 bonus if you make 5 debit card transactions. Easy enough to get the credit card so now we will start using the 2% cash back card for all purchases.

DH never thinks about money but he said, “You can’t earn much on savings anymore. May as well get something for spending.”

I think he’s been listening [emoji106]

I bit on the PenFed Access America bonus. I just reviewed the offer to see when the bonus will be credited (4 months) but I forgot how much it was. I’ll pass on their 2% cashback card since I use their 5% gas rebate card exclusively for gas and car washes, but I’m not buying much gas these days.

Back
Top Bottom