where to find the penfed 5% cd's

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have a penfed account and I was looking for those cd's you have been talking about on another thread and I can't find them. where should I look? or do you have to be a certain kind of customer to get them?

I use Penfed all the time and never saw such an offer, or I would have jumped on it. I didn't see it in their on-line newsletter. To catch these offers, is it necessary to watch the Penfed site daily? Hourly?

Amethyst

It was an offer made late last summer and has expired.

I use Penfed all the time and never saw such an offer, or I would have jumped on it. I didn't see it in their on-line newsletter. To catch these offers, is it necessary to watch the Penfed site daily? Hourly?

Amethyst

There were several discussions of this offer on the board over the past few months. Sorry you missed out.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/penfed-cd-reservation-offer-51751.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/where-did-penfeds-promo-cds-go-51957.html
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/penfed-52433.html

Amethyst

I first heard of this particular offer right here, on this board. The offer ran for several weeks.

thanks for the info guys. sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake. next offer like that you'll have to hit me over the head with it.

Now I remember. (I even took part in the threads). The promotion was for people whose CDs were getting ready to mature, and mine weren't. I have a CD maturing late this year...wonder if I'll see any offers.

Amethyst

................ The promotion was for people whose CDs were getting ready to mature, and mine weren't. ...............
Amethyst

what you missed is that later some creative folks discovered a trap door even for those who weren't eligible and PenFed granted amnesty to those who came in that way. Sometimes you have to wait the whole 9 innings to find the final score................

One other bit. The promotion was apparently terminated early. They had a countdown timer indicating the time and budget remaining for the promotion. This CD was getting a LOT of push from various blogs. I can't help but assume the discovery of the trap door contributed to the early termination, but I generally believe Penfed bungled the offering which is unfortunate. I don't recall hearing from anyone that would have been eligible under the original eligibility guidelines being shut out, but I bet they would've been grandfathered in.

Last edited:
Fear not, though. Pen Fed has run a CD "special" every January for the last several years, so you might get an above market rate shortly.

Hopefully you will be able to get one without having an expiring CD at Pen fed.

Back
Top Bottom