Where to invest my 2011 Roth Contribution?

daystar

Recycles dryer sheets
A little about me. I've posted on here a few times in years past. Now I need some help. I'm 31 and earn $85,000 per year in a federal job. I've been with the feds for 8 years, and I can retire at 57 with about a 1/3 of my salary in pension income. I'm single with no wife, no kids, and no mortgage. I have no debts. My assets are as follows:

Money Market - 140k
Individual Stocks (Mostly U.S.) - 98k
S&P 500 Index Fund in brokerage account - 24k
Roth IRA - Vanguard Total US Stock Market - 49k
TSP (401k) - 2040 Target Date Retirement Fund - 138k

I'm looking to put my 2011 contribution of $5000 into my Vanguard Roth IRA soon. I'm not sure if I should just add another $5000 to the Total Stock Market Index Fund. I'm already heavily weighted in U.S. Stocks. I was thinking maybe a bond fund, or REIT, or Commodities Fund, or Emerging Markets Fund. However, I'm concerned that some of these funds have already hit a bubble or will be hitting a bubble very soon. Do you have any advice for me?

Have you thought about having an investment plan with its Investment Policy Statement describing your overall Asset Allocation among stocks (US + foreign) and bonds? if you had one, you would just invest according to your plan.

Spend $20 and get a book on investing from Larry Swedroe or from this list:
Investment Books On second thought, spend $50 (or go to the library) and get 3 books.

Have you thought about having an investment plan with its Investment Policy Statement describing your overall Asset Allocation among stocks (US + foreign) and bonds? if you had one, you would just invest according to your plan.

Spend $20 and get a book on investing from Larry Swedroe or from this list:
Investment Books On second thought, spend $50 (or go to the library) and get 3 books.

Good advice. I always look for used books first, here:

BookFinder.com: Search for New & Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books

I follow Larry posts on the Bogleheads site and agree that he is a good source of information. But I suspect that he does not specifically address use of the TSP in a retirement plan. I would not put bonds in a Roth when I have the G Fun in the TSP. I have REITs in an IRA and that may be a good fit for your Roth since they are not available in the TSP. That is also true for EM and commodities but commodities are IMHO not as good a fit since they don't usually generate much dividends. EM is up to you, if you don't have them anywhere else and want them then they might fit in the Roth as well.

Back
Top Bottom