Where would you put 500K for 6-18 months?

zandrajohn

Dryer sheet wannabe
I have recently sold my house in Pennsylvania, and now renting, waiting on the sidelines before I buy again in Southern California, if the market ever settles down!
Where would you put 500K for 6-18 months, without taking a big risk. Can I do better than the 4.5% I am getting in my moneymarket?
Thanks

I have recently sold my house in Pennsylvania, and now renting, waiting on the sidelines before I buy again in Southern California, if the market ever settles down!
Where would you put 500K for 6-18 months, without taking a big risk. Can I do better than the 4.5% I am getting in my moneymarket?
Thanks

Thats where I would leave it for that time frame.

With interest rates not going up anytime soon, you can do better than 4.5% in some short term bond funds. We own VFSUX and VFIIX with yields of around 5% nowadays in tax-deferred accounts.

Treasuries are exempt from state income tax, so look at those as well. I would avoid TIPS funds. Vanguard is the place for all these short-term and intermediate-term bond funds.

With a bond fund you have the possibility of capital gains and, of course, capital losses.

Also consider your tax bracket. Maybe a tax-exempt fund gives you more after-tax income.

If you are going to need the funds on short notice (which it sounds like, less than a few months), then you need to keep it somewhere you can get to it quickly. You also don't want to risk any of the principal for such as short term.
I would keep it where it is. Nowadays (is that a word?), 4.5% is not bad for a risk free (almost) holding place.

No principal risk, 4.5% sounds good. I might look at jumbo CDs and see if they can up that some.

If you had 3-5 years, I would suggest a 10% allocation to equities for every year the money could be invested. So 3 years is 30% equity and 70% bonds/cash. Then each year sell 10% of equities to bonds/cash. By end of year 3 you should have original amount (plus a little extra) in bonds/cash, and another smaller allocation in equities.

If 5 years, go 50-50, selling 10% equities every year with same idea. By year 5, you have your original amount in bonds/cash, plus a little left in equities.

Your money market rate WILL go down very shortly. That's because of the recent Fed rate cuts.

Audrey

Are there any CD's or liquid CD's that would give you a little more? I have one that is 5%, but it was mid-Dec when I opened it. That 4.5% MM is probably going to be lower real soon if not already.

Are there any CD's or liquid CD's that would give you a little more? I have one that is 5%, but it was mid-Dec when I opened it. That 4.5% MM is probably going to be lower real soon if not already.
I think my mm(s) is at or sub 4% now. It's only going to get worse (less) before it gets better. IMO lock what you can now.

Where would you put $500K for 6-18 months

Zandra, I am looking for the same thing as you - and for the same reason. I am looking at Countrywide Personal CD currently paying 5% for 6 months. Countrywide has its problems but this is FDIC insured. I think I'll put $95K in and open their $1000 checking acct. That way, when the CD matures, they can put the money directly into my checking acct without a week wasted while I wait for a check to come from Texas in the mail. I have to decide by Thurs and I am going to check Countrywide out more before I do anything. :confused:

Right now, I'm juggling a bunch of $95K CD's and looking for SAFE places to put the money. ( I know I could have much worse problems than this - so I'm not complaining! ) Most CD's are paying only 3.15- 3.68% - taxable, but I think that's where I'll put the rest of the money for now. Keeping the principal safe is more important to me than making a little more interest for the near future. I do have some in a money market fund - but that will be dropping soon too I'm told - and it's not insured.

If you have access to a large "international" financial institution, you should be able to get a deposit in a currency other than USD. You can get close to 8% on Kiwis and 7% on AUD's. If foreign currency exposure scares you, the bank should be able to create a currency hedge for you, which should still yield more than a USD deposit, minus the hedge charge. Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom