Who's watching the market today?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
:D What a run. I was getting a little nervous after so many days of declines. Looks like it may end in the green. Not to mention that DOW and Nasdaq both broke key resistance levels (10,950 and 2125-ish) . Looks bullish

But then again, what's a single day mean to me, who has 23 yrs to go:confused: Not much at all.....

Jason

After watching my portfolio drop about 9% over the past month, I can't help but wonder if this is the proverbial "dead cat bounce".

Yah, I mailed a check along with investment instructions to Vanguard last Friday.  The return receipt indicates they got it on Monday, so I'm really hoping the funds got invested before yesterday's rally.  Either way, it probably won't make much difference in the long run, but assuming the market holds up, it sure would make me feel good for this weekend. :)

9% does not sound bad at all, compared to 14% for me.  YTD is now negative.  :(

MileKing said:
After watching my portfolio drop about 9% over the past month, I can't help but wonder if this is the proverbial "dead cat bounce".

shhhhh...... :mad:

Today and yesterday was sorely needed. Was up only 2-3% for the year but with today looks like I am track to the 10% for the year again being my "wish"/target. Cheers!

I mailed a check along with investment instructions to Vanguard last Friday.

You might consider setting up electronic funds transfers between your bank and Vanguard.  I've been doing this for a while, and the convenience and precision is very nice.  A few clicks and your money is zapped from one account to the other (at no charge).

I'm getting more paranoid about sending checks in the mail these days, and have decided that the security on the web is greater than the security of sending bits of paper across the country. Also, the exact timing of your investment can depend on such things as when the mail sorter in Kansas goes on his break.

DOG51 said:
Thank god its going back up. Think I will have an extra glass of wine tonight. :)

Better keep a lot of wine on hand to celebrate, AND numb the pain. I suspect there is going to be plenty of gut wrenching volatility for quite some time.

who's not watching!  sure is a welcome change ... but i don't expect it will be smooth sailing going through the summer -- might be, but i'm keeping some powder dry.

re Vanguard electronic funds transfers ... they don't guarantee same day purchase ... i think the only way to assure knowing when the purchase will be made is to transfer from another Vanguard fund (such as momeny market).

TargaDave said:
Better keep a lot of wine on hand to celebrate, AND numb the pain.  I suspect there is going to be plenty of gut wrenching volatility for quite some time.

All I'm looking for is a reason to get a good buzz. :D

I guess we just need Bernanke to make comments that inspire buying more often. Seems the guy can make the market go whichever way he chooses.

Funny thing how those who do not need to tap into equities (at least near term) and thus shouldn't care what the markets do short term (e.g. 5 years), still feel a lot better when markets are going up.

I hope/plan not to have to tap into my equities for maybe 10 years to support my current lifestyle, but I sure was getting PO'd over market performance the last 6 weeks (since the date I actually retired). Even if this is a 'dead cat bounce', it still feels better than constant sliding downhill.

AltaRed said:
Funny thing how those who do not need to tap into equities (at least near term) and thus shouldn't care what the markets do short term (e.g. 5 years), still feel a lot better when markets are going up.

I hope/plan not to have to tap into my equities for maybe 10 years to support my current lifestyle, but I sure was getting PO'd over market performance the last 6 weeks (since the date I actually retired). Even if this is a 'dead cat bounce', it still feels better than constant sliding downhill.

What I cannot understand is why 20 somethings and 30 somethings are glad the market is going up. They are all investing. They should be hoping for a terrible bear market. Buying stocks at a deep discount! They might have only a few hundred grand in the market, but rejoice when it goes up and they have to pay higher prices. They should run a few spreadsheets.

Cut-Throat said:
Wel, I am sitting here listening to some Jazz this afternoon with a glass of fine Cabernet. I am celebrating having a Wren move into our new bird house.  It's singing its lungs out! 8)

I can't wait until I'm retired. 9 more months.  :)

we just need Bernanke to make comments that inspire buying more often
more likely we should be thanking Abby Joseph Cohen who said yesterday that the S&P is cruisin' to 1400 -- and that the fed is unlikely to derail that. "The fact that people are quibbling over whether they are going to do one more or two more .... in terms of the intermediate to longer-term outlook, it doesn't really matter." she does not expect the fed to overshoot. (hope she's right!)

Cut-Throat said:
What I cannot understand is why 20 somethings and 30 somethings are glad the market is going up. They are all investing. They should be hoping for a terrible bear market. Buying stocks at a deep discount! They might have only a few hundred grand in the market, but rejoice when it goes up and they have to pay higher prices. They should run a few spreadsheets.

Yep, the stock markets one of the few things to inspire this reaction, another is real estate.

Everything gets cheaper and goes on sale, everyone runs for the exits. Everything gets overpriced and stupid looking, out come the checkbooks and everyone gets excited.
::)

Yep, the stock markets one of the few things to inspire this reaction, another is real estate.
so too g*ld, submerging markets, and beaver cheese

d said:
more likely we should be thanking Abby Joseph Cohen who said yesterday that the S&P is cruisin' to 1400 -- and that the fed is unlikely to derail that. "The fact that people are quibbling over whether they are going to do one more or two more .... in terms of the intermediate to longer-term outlook, it doesn't really matter." she does not expect the fed to overshoot. (hope she's right!)

She was quite a reliable forecaster back in 1999-2000. Not.  :p

Ha

Cut-Throat said:
What I cannot understand is why 20 somethings and 30 somethings are glad the market is going up. They are all investing. They should be hoping for a terrible bear market.  Buying stocks at a deep discount! They might have only a few hundred grand in the market, but rejoice when it goes up and they have to pay higher prices.  They should run a few spreadsheets.

If you're only 5 years away from retirement, what should you be hoping for?  Theory says it's best to retire into a bull market, so does that mean I should be hoping for an extended bear market now, even though it could reduce my net worth substantially and make me question early retirement altogether?

She was quite a reliable forecaster back in 1999-2000. Not.
like most forecasters ... what counts in this case at least, is that folks listen to her. remember Joe Granville?

IBWino said:
If you're only 5 years away from retirement, what should you be hoping for? Theory says it's best to retire into a bull market, so does that mean I should be hoping for an extended bear market now, even though it could reduce my net worth substantially and make me question early retirement altogether?

Better now than 5 years from now! - You are still buying stocks now, right? And not withdrawing from your portfoilo, right? - Do the math!

Back
Top Bottom