Will There Be Panic In The Markets?

Dang yall, I took the day off work/computer to hang with the wife and kids, and had no idea that THE SKY WAS FALLING!

O0

Good thing I'm wearing my peril-resistant afro...............

Dang yall, I took the day off work/computer to hang with the wife and kids, and had no idea that THE SKY WAS FALLING!

O0

Good thing I'm wearing my peril-resistant afro...............

:2funny:

Yeah, you missed a great opportunity to be miserable! Just don't let it happen again.....:rolleyes::D

Dow futures down over 500 !

I'm glad I'm not in the stock market !

I'm glad I'm not in the stock market !

Frankly it is the bond market that worries me. Stocks may go up and down but right now the risk of 0 is greater in the bond market IMHO.

Bonds, banks, insurers (who invest in bonds) are at greatest risk.

The only bonds I have are US government bonds.

just rember if you were in the markets for many years you would be no where near even the level we fall to on a bad day if you werent in the game. two buddies of mine are retireing from the same place after the same amount of time. they both worked for the nyc board of ed . they could elect where they wanted their pension money invested aaron not having any interest in the markets nor wanting to take any risk basically let it lay in bonds and a money market. he figured what the heck, we all earn around the same thing , we all will put in as many years , we will all end up about the same.

joe chose all stock funds for over 30 years.

needless to say aaron got 189,000 and joe walked away with 1.4 million.

aaron is still working.

Dow futures down over 600, The asian markets are down close to 10% in the last two days that could be a 1200 pt drop today here with the dow. Who knows. The american consumer is tapped out, why would the stock market do well??

If 70% of the economy is spending by regular joes who have no home equity anymore no more money and afraid they may lose their jobs, Dow 8000 or less could happen.

This is what happens when we don't build anything anymore. Its gonna come home to roost.

Dow futures down over 600, The asian markets are down close to 10% in the last two days that could be a 1200 pt drop today here with the dow. Who knows. The american consumer is tapped out, why would the stock market do well??

If 70% of the economy is spending by regular joes who have no home equity anymore no more money and afraid they may lose their jobs, Dow 8000 or less could happen.

This is what happens when we don't build anything anymore. Its gonna come home to roost.

OK, I've got my popcorn and I'm ready for the show! Should be quite amazing. If not, I'll ask for my money back. :2funny:

Seriously, what else can one do? There's no way I'm going to try to buy or sell anything until things settle down a little, and probably not even then since I try not to be a dirty market timer. ;)

Strange but I feel no panic at all and like Want2retire I'm ready to watch the show.

Agree the US does not build anything anymore but get the popcorn ready it is going to be interesting morning and day.

Could any of this be attributed to GREED? :duh:

Let's hope that the U.S government does not have to bait out the people who made bad investments.:eek:

GOD BLESS:angel:

Ambac came out with a huge loss that's sure to put a damper into the confidence level. if ambac goes under than some obscene amount of money in bonds is uninsured

Fed just made an emergeny rate cut of 3/4%!!!

That seems to have cut the futures losses in half (so far).

But dammit...I was poised to dump some appreciated treasuries this morning and that rate cut is biting into some of the treasury gains. :(

But uh oh, now some folks are feeling the 3/4% cut smells of desperation and still wont be effective, so the futures might head back further down again.

I agree...3/4% was too much.

That seems to have cut the futures losses in half (so far).

But dammit...I was poised to dump some appreciated treasuries this morning and that rate cut is biting into some of the treasury gains. :(

But uh oh, now some folks are feeling the 3/4% cut smells of desperation and still wont be effective, so the futures might head back further down again.

I agree...3/4% was too much.

Already has headed back down. DOW futures -466. Anyone buying stocks today?

Daddy, daddy, there's a helicopter outside...

The helicopter appears to be out of fuel, as the Dow Futures are down 464 points. I heard that the futures market had already factord in a 1/2% rate cut before the Fed actually made its cut this morning. Guess we'll have to wait until next week for some relief.

just rember if you were in the markets for many years you would be no where near even the level we fall to on a bad day if you werent in the game. two buddies of mine are retireing from the same place after the same amount of time. they both worked for the nyc board of ed . they could elect where they wanted their pension money invested aaron not having any interest in the markets nor wanting to take any risk basically let it lay in bonds and a money market. he figured what the heck, we all earn around the same thing , we all will put in as many years , we will all end up about the same.

joe chose all stock funds for over 30 years.

needless to say aaron got 189,000 and joe walked away with 1.4 million.

aaron is still working.

Your story is so true. It is possible to "conserve" your way, right into the poor house. While I know the my time horizon is long ~15+ years, it is still hard to watch the market tank like it is. I am already down ~10% and the first month of the year is not even over yet! At least I can feel better about the fact that other than bonds or a MM, there was no where to hide on this one, and everyone is down about the same.
I am curious though if the reason for market volotility in recent years has been due to the increase in 24 media, and internet trading. Years ago if the market was bad you had to wait 24 hrs to do something about it. And usually by that time people has regained their composure anyway. Most people got to watch the news just once a day, and unless something truly bad occurred it would blow over quickly. I wonder if anyone has done any reasearch into this correlation? Just a thought...

maddythebeagle beat this puppy too it but I did email a great friend that this guy is easily wagged.

I say "the puppy tail wagged the dog".

Gosh, I fear this may make losses even worse. Nothing like a Fed chairman with no plan. Guess he is not aware of Swedroes "stay the course" swagger.

EDIT:
armor99, Prof Shiller thinks the market is highly influenced by:
1. Internet
2. Gambling
3. Materialistic greed
4. Feeling that the US after WWII was the end all and be all. ie Nationalistic feeling/superiority

In other words, Irrational Exuberance

I just saw this news headline on Yahoo! : "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood"...

Took me a second to realize they were touting potential Oscar nominations and not commenting on the upcoming market opening. :)

I just saw this news headline on Yahoo! : "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood"...

Took me a second to realize they were touting potential Oscar nominations and not commenting on the upcoming market opening. :)

Good one REW!
And you know, it just points out that the media is in charge here.
So all you people!!! Do and believe as you are told>:D>:D

Anyone buying stocks today?

I have some cash just waiting for an opportunity like this. Will have to see how some individual stocks fare. I've got my list of possibilities, bucket of popcorn and soda all set up and I am ready to watch the show:D

Agree the US does not build anything anymore but get the popcorn ready it is going to be interesting morning and day.

Could any of this be attributed to GREED? :duh:

Let's hope that the U.S government does not have to bait out the people who made bad investments.:eek:

GOD BLESS:angel:

who cares if we don't build anything anymore, we have more than anyone else of the most important thing in the world. Knowledge.

but to answer your question, we build a lot of things in the US. just not stuff you find at your local wal mart

i hear the same nonesense from my brother who lives to the east of the rockies. me on the east coast i see companies hiring knowledge workers all the time and they make stuff overseas.

Good one REW!
And you know, it just points out that the media is in charge here.
So all you people!!! Do and believe as you are told>:D>:D

"Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold..."

FZ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom