Worry In Our Country

dickyvman

Confused about dryer sheets
Is anyone else experiencing or seeing this? I can't help but have this feeling of a sense of worry throughout our country right now. I go to drudge and see "GLOBAL FEARS PUSH OIL PRICE TO NEW RECORDS" plastered across the headlines. Along with that there are also headline articles on jobless rate jumps to 5.5% and down plunges 400 points.

Everytime I fill up my car I think about these headlines and the fact that I just paid $3.79/gallon, our dollar is dropping, there is turmoil in the credit markets, commodities are going threw the roof, prices at the grocery store are rising higher then the inflation rate that our government is stating, and the prices of value meals are more then $5. When I was filling up my car yesterday I said to my dad, "Don't you feel this unrest in our world...like somethings going to give?" He said, "ya definitely...people are going to go to war over $139/barrel oil." Think about $200 oil?

All these "worries" I sense in our country continue to echo to me that the common man needs to get back to a simpler life. Live frugally. Declutter. No need for the extremely nice things. Family camping trips are the ideal family bonding vacation. When you go on a road trip you pack lunch meat sandwiches instead of paying $5+ at McDonalds for a Big Mac and a pack of trans fat French Fries.

I just wanted to put out there these feelings of worry I sense. Its kind of like our country has a stomach ache and something is going to give.

My guess is you never lived through the 70's O0 or 1980-82. What we have now is called PROSPERITY compared to a real economic problem. Take advantage of the opportunity to pick up good assets for cheap and stop watching the news. That is the main difference I see. Today there is incredible whining constantly on TV.

"Worry" has always been with us. I don't see the current events much different that what has been around before. What is different is the 24/7 news stations with their push for ratings. Things have to be sensationalized to get people's attention and to keep them tuned in. There's also a bit of agenda pushing going on for the current "cause de jour." They get air time because their "experts" are always available to fill the time slot.

Go back to the 60's. Then we hid under our desks to protect ourselves from the inevitable nuclear attack from the Soviets. Despite "St." John Kennedy's total mismanagement, we managed to survive. During the 30's, we had 25+% unemployment with a real housing crisis. All this blather so far pales in comparison.

I understand what you're feeling. I feel like I have been worrying for about a year now.

The difference between now and earlier is that we have 24 hour info--most people used to have to wait til they read the Dow and other numbers in their morning paper, along with an indepth analysis of that and other news. Now that info is available on your home page and we only look at statistics (and no one wants to pay for a paper anymore, so kiss that industry goodbye).

I haven't read any stories lately that oil was actually underpriced if you look at historical inflation for other things--instead we react with doom and gloom without any perspective because we see only fluctuations in the price.

But the things you outline, pulling back to a simpler life, can't hurt. With your reference to your dad, you sound like a younger person. Keep a positive attitude and try to worry only about what you can control.

My guess is you never lived through the 70's O0 or 1980-82. What we have now is called PROSPERITY compared to a real economic problem. Take advantage of the opportunity to pick up good assets for cheap and stop watching the news. That is the main difference I see. Today there is incredible whining constantly on TV.

This is true. There are many people who do not remember those days, so their reference points are only the good times.

It is election time so, the candidates must point out the bad so they can say they will change it.

Turning off the TV and radio talk shows does help with reducing the worrying.

This is true. There are many people who do not remember those days, so their reference points are only the good times.

It is election time so, the candidates must point out the bad so they can say they will change it.

Exactly. Also remember the media make money only if people are interested in their news stories. How many people would read a report entitled, "Market conditions and economy pretty much same-o, same-o"? They have a financial motivation to stir up, uh, "stuff".

So, the media reports are more like: "OMG!!! Oil up!!! Housing down!!! Food up!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!" etc etc etc.

All these "worries" I sense in our country continue to echo to me that the common man needs to get back to a simpler life. Live frugally. Declutter. No need for the extremely nice things. Family camping trips are the ideal family bonding vacation. When you go on a road trip you pack lunch meat sandwiches instead of paying $5+ at McDonalds for a Big Mac and a pack of trans fat French Fries.
These are good ideas even at times of "PROSPERITY."

Our income is increasing faster than inflation. We have never been able to save so much money. We feel the pain of gas and food price inflation and yet, if we look at our overall budget, inflationary pressures are still very moderate. Our local real estate market has managed to appreciate over the last year despite the housing bubble. When I look at our own financial situation, things look good...

Yet I am very worried. I was born in the 70's I mostly grew up in a time of unprecedented prosperity with few (deep) recessions. So the current situation is quite unnerving.

Maybe I need to turn off the TV...

I am concerned but definitely not worried. I do not plan to change my lifestyle nor my plans for the future. The past 10 years have been especially prosperous for my wife and I.

S#$t happens! Be aware of your surroundings and act accordingly. Do not wait or or expect someone else to rescue you. Take action - get involved.

That would be a MAJOR stress & anxiety reliever!!! I avoid most all of the "news" related shows, and don't miss it a bit, because most of the "news" is just a bunch of mindless blather.

.....instead of paying $5+ at McDonalds for a Big Mac and a pack of trans fat French Fries.

I stopped in the Golden Arches the other night when I got back into town. I very seldom go there, but it was late, I was hungry, and the real restaurants in town were closed. A family in front of me....2 adults & 2 kids....placed their order, and the counter girl chimed out with $44 and some odd cents! Ridiculous!!! I turned around, walked out, and went home and had a hotdog!

Inflation has caused the "99¢ heart-attack" to cost more than a fair meal at a decent family restaurant!!!

What's better now then in the 1970's:
1) I can fill up the tank of a much nicer, safer car then I could in the 70's.
2) I live in a house that is probably at least 4x better then my parents
3) My tax rates are a lot lower then people's were in the 70's
4) I can invest in inflation proof bonds that did not exist in the 70's
5) So far no major riots in the streets or campuses
6) Can watch the news whiners on my big screen TV
7) Can buy wonderful food at the market that wasn't available in 70's

Oh yes, and ...
8) I can whine (or not) on the internet about all this stuff

P.S. And I'm pissed off about gas prices and the Middle East too.

What's to complain about? $4 gasoline is inconvienient and an irritant. But at least it's available, no waiting in lines, no alternate days you can buy it, all that nonsense.

Worry is when you have to choose between buying gasoline to get to work and buying food. This is a guy who once lost ten pounds in one week because I didn't have money to buy food.

Like 2B, I'm one of those who hid under my desk to kiss my butt goodbye when the blast came. I was too young go realize what was going on at the time but I bet my parents worried.

We didn't go to restaurants, we had picnics and packed a basket for long trips.

Now, given a few days notice I can write checks for more than one nice house. I can walk across the room and get myself a glass of water. That's significant because I know some people who can't. It's been decades since I gave a thought to where my next meal is coming from.

I'm a long way from being worried.

Reactions: 2B
3) My tax rates are a lot lower then people's were in the 70's
4) I can invest in inflation proof bonds that did not exist in the 70's

Oh yes, and ...

Amen!!

Let me add my own; don't have to worry about a military draft (at least I didn't have to worry about planning my future :bat: )...

PS: received my "Greetings" letter from "Uncle Sam" in 1966 :rant: )....

- Ron

Let me add my own; don't have to worry about a military draft (at least I didn't have to worry about planning my future :bat: )...

- Ron
My hat's off to you, I lucked out and got a high number in the draft lottery.

- Ron

Yes, there was that. I also got lucky in the lottery.

I remember laughing with a friend telling me about burning his draft card. He was in Da Nang at the time.

i'm not even going to try to resist posting this:

img_666414_0_af771355b6e79ff20c97512bed3494f3.jpg

My hat's off to you, I lucked out and got a high number in the draft lottery.

Heck, I'm so old (mature :duh: ) that there wasen't any "lottery" at the time - that was later, for the "youngins" (I was one of the "early picks").

- Ron

We are entering the Soap Box zone, which is ok with me:

Oh, how I loved my 1970 Ford Maverick! And I could do simple repairs myself.

Come to think of it, so do I, even though instead of a two bedroom house with basement, I now live in a studio apt.

3) My tax rates are a lot lower then people's were in the 70s

? I didn't work often enough to worry about taxes.

I can invest in inflation proof bonds that did not exist in the 70's

OK, I do that.

In the spring of '70 I was tear-gassed out of my college office by noon every day; it was tough because I both believed in the cause and was paid by the hour. Here's my soap box comment: In mid-August 1970 my memory of "shock and awe" was the look of the crater where Sterling Hall had stood the day before. What we have done to Iraq is a million times worse, our media is inadequate and kids are too busy whining on the internet to take to the streets.

Haven't popped for a big screen yet, and have never heard Cramer & Co..

Yeah! :D and I've moved closer to the source.

Oh yes, and ...

I'm not pissed about gas prices yet; many countries pay much much more.

Let's bring back the Misery Index so we can all keep score!
I had forgotten about the Misery Index, and Jimmy Carter beating Gerald Ford up with it during the 1976 campaign. Of course that all came back to kick Jimmy in the teeth when the index reached its all-time peak during his thankfully brief tenure.

Current times are pure bliss compared to the 70's. Dinner was beans and cornbread most nights, using the same ham hocks from Sunday all the way through the next weekend. The only other meat we saw was the soy & meat product that A&P sold. Bleeccch! :p

Now I'm probably going to have nightmares of soy burgers, beans, gas-lines, dressing like an Eskimo in the house, and a 22% prime interest rate. And let's not forget the sweaters and disco!
carter_worst.jpg

Edit: The Misery Index never went away: The United States Misery Index

Most recent index rating is for April: 8.94%
Compared to low of 2.97 in July 1953 and a high of 21.98 June 1980.

For you kids born in the late 70's and early 80's, it's been sub-10% for most of your lives, and in recent years has been in the 8-9% range. Yep, 2008 ain't got nothing on the 70s when it almost never got below 16-17%.

Man, I feel like one of those old fogies talking about how it was back in the day. I guess I'll have to update my act: I'm just keeping it real, yo!O0

Last edited:
I'll bet you weren't only miserable in the 70's, but you walked 5 miles to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways...
And one morning I encountered a bear on the walk to school, and killed it with a spiral notebook!

You laugh, but I did walk to and from school every day for the first couple of years until I got a motorcycle to drive. It was hilly (North Georgia), but equally so both ways and only about 3 miles.

Back
Top Bottom