Worst luck with used cars - advice please

And yet the OP's transmission failed at about 90,000 miles. :angel:

I know, right? I’m surprised that Lexus didn’t step up even a little on that one. I realize the age of the car put it out of warranty, but I thought most drive trains were warranted for 6 years or 100K miles. Seems like having it fail at 90K no matter the years would have at least got their attention. It’s not like it was a entry level make or model.

Does the new transmission come with a better warranty than the re-manufactured one?
Once you know your "PLan A" and it's total cost, I'd use that to see if the $11k new transmission is negotiable at the Lexus dealer. It may not be, but it might. Nothing to lose.

Nowadays transmissions are so complex that even the most revered brands can have troubles. No manufacturer is immune. That being said, the last time I, personally had to have a transmission rebuilt, it was $650. It was in 1997, and the car was a 1979 Chrysler Newport with about 230,000 miles on it. I have a feeling I'd be in for some serious sticker shock if I needed a rebuild in a modern car!

I don't understand the concept of putting in a used transmission only if you are going to sell the car. The OP's car had 92,000 miles and they probably would have been happy driving the car for another 50,000 + miles had the trans not died. Getting a used trans with 92,000 miles or hopefully less, would put the car back to having a similar life transmission. Unless there is a known design/ build quality problem with those transmissions, I don't see anything wrong with that.

As I said earlier, having a transmission shop give a repair estimate would be my 1st stop. Then decide from there.

Essentially this is a Toyota Landcruiser in the luxury Lexus mode.
If one looks up which vehicle is most likely to go 200,000 miles or more the Landcruiser wins by a landslide with a full 16% or more doing that.
The next closest was a Toyota Sequoia at like 9.7% and the average vehicle at only 0.9%
So if you can resolve the transmission issues I think you would be very happy for many years to come as Bamaman suggests.
Used Lx570s with your year and mileage still sell for somewhere in the $25-28k range. I would take the chance on a rebuilt transmission with a 3yr /100k warranty as Bamaman mentioned. it might be a $5k hit but probably better than having to sell it for $15k or whatever you could get. They are luxurious beasts of a vehicle. I recently looked buying a Toyota Sequioa for similar reasons but bought another Subaru Outback.:)

:LOL: Yes, but he doesn't know its future. The post implies that purchased used cars are somehow riskier than a used car already owned. I don't think (from a lifetime of experience) that is the general case.

I don't know a single person that bought a 3-4 year old used vehicle that had any repairs that came close to what it would have cost to buy new instead.

Buying new is highly overrated.

I don't understand the concept of putting in a used transmission only if you are going to sell the car. The OP's car had 92,000 miles and they probably would have been happy driving the car for another 50,000 + miles had the trans not died. Getting a used trans with 92,000 miles or hopefully less, would put the car back to having a similar life transmission. Unless there is a known design/ build quality problem with those transmissions, I don't see anything wrong with that.

As I said earlier, having a transmission shop give a repair estimate would be my 1st stop. Then decide from there.

Pretty simple.
If the OP buys a used transmission for $1800 and spends $1200 for installation, he is into it for $3000. Is the car worth $3000 more as a fully functioning vehicle than it is with a bad transmission? The answer is, of course it is! It will also be much easier to sell without any issues.
Also, in today's world of automotive complexity, I have found that you are generally much better off with a used transmission assembled from the factory than you are with one that is rebuilt by someone that may or may not know all of the intricacies of a specific transmission.
The dealers even buy units assembled from the factory. The technicians don't rebuild them at the dealership.

Pretty simple.
If the OP buys a used transmission for $1800 and spends $1200 for installation, he is into it for $3000. Is the car worth $3000 more as a fully functioning vehicle than it is with a bad transmission? The answer is, of course it is! It will also be much easier to sell without any issues.
Also, in today's world of automotive complexity, I have found that you are generally much better off with a used transmission assembled from the factory than you are with one that is rebuilt by someone that may or may not know all of the intricacies of a specific transmission.
The dealers even buy units assembled from the factory. The technicians don't rebuild them at the dealership.

Agree. This is a straighforward math issue. Cost of repair vs what you will get on a trade in once the transmission is working. It just has to be working and driveable to the dealer.

It just has to be working and driveable to the dealer.

This is why I just say 'no' to buying used luxury cars of this age/miles.

Just too much money into it, and you run into these dilemmas when things inevitably break (when you're the next guy).

Last edited:
Pretty simple.

See bolded above - the logic seems sound but then I have to ask, where did this used transmission come from? Most likely, it came from an accident vehicle. Not sure how I feel about the shock of an accident on the transmission but it would make me nervous. Also, would a transmission acquired that way have any warranty.

Agree. This is a straighforward math issue. Cost of repair vs what you will get on a trade in once the transmission is working. It just has to be working and driveable to the dealer.

The math is somewhat straightforward but the other math is related to fix and keep versus fix and sell. If it can be fixed for a reasonable price, it’s very likely still way cheaper to just keep driving it rather that selling it. Sure, repairing it and selling it will get you a down payment on the next vehicle, but it’s unlikely you wouldn’t still come up off some serious cash to get into a new car.

Damn those digital trails... :cool:

Perhaps some context would help some posters here. The OP posted this on 10-01-19:
1. 2008 Lexus LX570. Less than 80K miles. Bought for $27K. Car was not engaging in reverse. Mechanic that we trust stated transmission needs estimated $4K to repair and rebuild. We carry a $18K loan. Should we go ahead with repair and sell vehicle? Or repair and keep it until we run it into the ground?

And from 07-08-2020
2. 2008 Lexus LX570, bought at $26K, 83K miles, chased and poured $4K diagnosing and repairing a persistent transmission issue (intermittent reverse gear not engaging). Got 2nd opinion from another shop and it turned out original repair shop was incompetent and filled 1.5-2.0 qts low on tranny oil. We used trans-x oil as an interim fix but local transmission shop advised us that we will be seeing eventual transmission failure and should expect a rebuilt tranny repair bill north of $3K. Local market value $23K. Car loan balance $13K.

Last edited:
See bolded above - the logic seems sound but then I have to ask, where did this used transmission come from? Most likely, it came from an accident vehicle. Not sure how I feel about the shock of an accident on the transmission but it would make me nervous. Also, would a transmission acquired that way have any warranty.

I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about a transmission being "shocked" from an accident. I've used many engines and transmissions from wrecked vehicles with no issue. I worked my way through college buying and selling used vehicles that needed work and I've continued to do so off an on over the last 45 years. I looked up on car-part.com, the prices in the northeast for a transmission for the OP's vehicle and a few came up with around 40,000 miles with a 6 month warranty.

Pretty simple.

You missed my highlighted "only". It seems that many prior posts avoided putting a used transmission in and then driving it forever. They indicated only installing a used tranny in if you are selling the car immediately. I do agree with the math you mentioned though. As long as the delta value is there.

I sometimes run a car until it is time for the scrap dealer. Both of my last 2 cars were worth <1,000 when traded in/sold. Not much sense in repairing either of them if the trans went out on those. Heck, I wouldn't put $150 into one to replace the rusted out filler neck which caused an emissions check engine light.

:LOL: Yes, but he doesn't know its future. The post implies that purchased used cars are somehow riskier than a used car already owned. I don't think (from a lifetime of experience) that is the general case.

I do believe that it riskier. I know how I drove car, break-in period, maintenance, etc. I don't know what previous owner did to car, how drove car.
This thread is clear example - car that normally last 300K got transmission broken on 90K. Maybe it is a lemon but very high chance that 2 previous owners abused car.

If he likes the vehicle why not spend $3k for a pre-owned transmission but consider it disposable after that?

I've never had to replace a transmission but just spent $500 to replace a transmission solenoid on my 15 year old Subaru to restore AWD...probably would not do it again...I'd just leave the fuse in and live with FWD instead of AWD.

duplicate

What year was the Escape?

2011 Brand new lease vehicle. That was the bad luck. The good luck...it was a company lease and we only kept them for one year.

What surprised me lately is I reviewed Consumer Reports for a model/year that I was casually considering. Excellent reviews. Then I got feedback from two different mechanics, both working at large dealerships. Their comments were identical. Pass on that model or spring for another brand-made by the same manufacturer or another one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom