WSJ article on delaying retirement

Now the Greenspans- What I can't get over is the $400,000 boat.

Is there anything in the world that depreciates faster than a real expensive new boat?

Pure lead can't drop any faster.

There is nothing that a $400,000 boat can do that a used $80,000 boat can't do. Bet there are some amazing boat bargains in Florida right now. ....That is, if you know anything about boats.

They invested $800K, expecting to make $1000K (the condo full price) plus $400K for the boat in two years?

Let me rephrase this: They invested $800K expecting to make $600K profit in two years? They must have to beat every shyster with a gimmick from their door.

Cancelling the boat sale and losing the $15,000 deposit might be the best business deal they've ever made.

Minter/Barman couple ( spreadsheet guy) is just not psychologically ready for retirement. Doesn't mention that he had any particular goals or activites that weren't fulfilled. It sounds as if his retirement activities became sitting in front of CNBC or the computer watching his money drain away. Not well advised for anyone, far less a prior 6-figure earner with time on his hands.

He didn't really have activities planned. It sounds like he is having major adjustment problems, the kind that go with changing from a high-earning SF guy to a guy wandering around Healdsburg. It sounds like he is truly depressed, and this could easily have been predicted. Retirement is as much a stress as unanticipated job loss or family death. He may have had a great spreadsheet, but he really needed a counselor. All the number tweaking in the world won't help if you don't really understand what motivates you in life, and how that is going to work when you suddenly don't have that successful working guy image of yourself. He also need to get a library card and start reading Bernstein, Bogle, and Ferraris books on low-cost investing and asset allocation.

So is retirement more fulfilling if one was merely a cube dweller, a small cog in a large wheel?

Last edited:
Oh, but they didn't do it. They just keep looking for a big shiny new drain to pour money down.

So is retirement more fulfilling if one was merely a cube dweller, a small cog in a large wheel?

I suspect that retirement would be more fulfilling for those who feel beaten down by their job, than it would be for those who derive a feeling of self worth from their job.
-- If the cube dweller feels like s/he is an EXCELLENT cube dweller upon whom the very future of the organization doubtlessly depends, retirement might be pretty tough.​

-- If the cube dweller feels beaten down, like s/he is accomplishing nothing and not respected by coworkers, retirement might be easy.​
The same would be true for managers.

I am getting all choked up thinking about that couple that can't afford to buy a brand new $400,000 boat. How sad. This economy really sucks! :cool:

I take the WSJ and have for more the 30 years. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. That article wasn't very incisive.

I take the WSJ and have for more the 30 years. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. That article wasn't very incisive.
That's the problem with getting old: You know too much, you have too much experience, and nothing is incisive anymore.

I like reading those kinds of WSJ articles. They keep reminding me about the basic principles of low-cost, safe investing, and keeping a reasonable perspective on it all.

*someone please shoot me if I gamble my retirement savings away on a $400K boat*

That's the problem with getting old: You know too much, you have too much experience, and nothing is incisive anymore.
LOL, since you put it like that I kind of like getting old :D! Thanks. Just past my 60th a few days ago. Don't qualify for senior status yet.

I think the point here is that deferring retirement, regardless of age, will have them continuing to pay Medicare taxes into the system. This doesn't ease benefit payouts, but does increase program revenues.

You are correct. I overlooked the same idea again. I can blame the first time on the author's wording, but I should have quit after that.

REWahoo is probably just shaking his head.

Back
Top Bottom