WSJ: banks are finally facing pressure to pay more

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Free link:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/banks-...77bl699crgg&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
Depositors fled to the perceived safety of the titans of finance following a pair of bank failures last month. A raft of earnings this week will show just how costly the run was for everyone else.
Small and midsize U.S. banks lost hundreds of billions of dollars in recent weeks to their bigger peers and to money-market funds offering higher yields. That is likely to force many of them to increase the interest rates they are paying to avoid losing more customers.
Well, it's about time. Am I supposed to feel bad? If so, I'm not.

I am concerned about the viability of many credit unions, and I'm not talking mega-credit unions like Navy Federal. I'm talking about the thousands of community CUs. They are also paying microscopic rates and one wonders if they can weather the storm.

I never understood why traditional banks have been paying next to no interest on savings compared to online savings like Ally and others, so we haven’t kept cash at a bank in many years. We have a BoA checking account for the occasional check, but never keep much $ in it. I wonder when/if we could go without paper checks, we pay everything online possible but some small local merchants aren’t capable, we do receive checks occasionally, and we do want some cash for pocket change.

Last edited:
I have not used the savings option at my community bank for years. I also use the online bank Bask bank for high yield savings. My house purchase cash has been making over 1k per month at the high yield bank. I keep my checking account as low as possible and transfer any excess to the high yield bank.

I don’t get this. I can’t get past the paywall but it sounds like the big banks are getting deposits based on perceived safety, not based on offering better rates. Maybe just the opposite. MM funds have better rates but no FDIC, right? Are folks moving funds to MM because of the bank failures?

Here's a quote from the article that amazes me. It leaves me wondering what their loan rates are.

The average rate paid on deposits at banks and credit unions was 0.37% in March, according to the FDIC, compared with 0.06% a year earlier.

I am only keeping my two local banks because -

1 - I have two safety deposit accounts at one;

2 - I have joint accounts with two of my sons at the other one;

3 - Sometimes I want cash.

But - I have recently removed the majority of funds sitting in those accounts (i.e. emergency and tax funds).

I have recently opened a Fidelity cash management account which is FDIC insured, pays a little interest (around 2.4 percent) has bill pay and checking account features, and after my next two checks for estimated taxes clear - use another Fidelity account for my tax account (money held to pay taxes) where I can get a higher rate on a money market account holding government obligations.

Last edited:
I have a JP Morgan Chase account for 30 years now for local cash needs and occasional check writing. I keep the balance very low as all my liquid funds are in Schwab, Ally and Navy Federal Credit union paying 4 - 5+%.

Like Marie above, I am waiting for Apple stock to crash BIG so I can buy a big load of it and make a killing! :cool:

Last edited:
Many Credit Unions are supposedly non-profit. I've been at my credit union for 30+ years and I've seen how they've morphed from giving out great rates to being increasingly stingy. In the meantime they've expanded to many branches some of them large and grandiose. So there you have it. The profits were used for expansion (both physical and labor), and now they're going to be hit by massive overcapacity. I think you'll see a lot of credit unions merging together as the whole market shrinks.

We have been using online banking for over 22 years through Citibank. Prior to that it was Great Western bank which had one of the poorest online banking platform ever. Great Western was bought out by Washington Mutual which made it even worse. So it was great day for us when we closed our accounts and moved to Citibank. Citibank actually rewards you for paying bills online and not writing checks. I don't get what people see in these small community banks. Who wants to visit a branch to do banking? They are years behind in technology. Most of them will disappear over the next few decades. Even the large banks are closing branches as more people shift to online banking.

Small and medium banks and various others wanted Dodd Frank rolled back for themselves. Careful what you wish for. Ironically, they’d be in better shape had they kept the level regulations playing field with the big banks.

I have a JP Morgan Chase account for 30 years now for local cash needs and occasional check writing. I keep the balance very low as all my liquid funds are in Schwab, Ally and Navy Federal Credit union paying 4 - 5+%.

Like Marie above, I am waiting for Apple stock to crash BIG so I can buy a big load of it and make a killing! :cool:

:LOL::LOL::LOL: It came close to my target price, but the zoomed up again, so no gold ring for me. (I still have a limit order in on it, but have to reconsider that since it requires me to tie up money in the stinkin' sweep account.)

I don't get what people see in these small community banks. Who wants to visit a branch to do banking? They are years behind in technology. Most of them will disappear over the next few decades. Even the large banks are closing branches as more people shift to online banking.
It’s not always about retail personal banking. Small and regional banks are critically important lenders to local small business, real estate developers, and local agriculture.

It also may be difficult for some to believe, but not everyone is interested in online banking.

Back in the 1980s and some of the 1990s, I kept a checking account and linked savings account at my local bank. The money in the linked savings account met the minimum balance requirements to avoid fees and was not an onerous amount, in the $1,500-$3000 range. The checking account was the hub of my finances, taking in money from my paychecks while paying the bills, mostly through paper checks but gradually shifting to ACH. Any excess money, starting in the 1990s, left the bank to go to an investment company. My ATM card could be used at nearly any bank in the NYCE (New York Cash Exchange) system without fees, even at one other than my own bank.

But then came a bunch of bank mergers and takeovers in the mid-1990s. Banks began raising their minimum balances to avoid fees and charging fees to use another bank's ATM. The latter began the term, "double-dipping," where your own bank and the other bank each charged a fee, and for contradictory reasons. I didn't want to tie up more money earning nearly zilch to avoid a fee, so I combined the savings and checking accounts, forgoing the tiny interest the savings account was earning.

For a time the checking account paid some interest, a few pennies per month, a bigger hassle to keep track of than it was worth. I was actually relieved when that ended.

It took me a while to enroll in online banking but I was eager to add ACH to more of my monthly bills to reduce the checks I wrote. I still need to have a local bank to deposit 1-2 checks I get every month, get some cash, deposit some coins once in a while, and get cash. My local bank is very close by (walking distance), and has many branches in case I am out somewhere and need cash (this was important in my working days when I often got cash from ATMs near my office or Penn Station).

The balance I keep in the checking account covers the minimum balance requirements plus a small buffer or cushion which acts as a small, first-tier emergency fund, as it has since the late 1990s when I combined the checking and savings account.

JPMorgan Chase earnings exceeded expectations on Friday. More banks and indicators reporting this week:

Monday: Empire State manufacturing index and homebuilder confidence index. Earnings report from Charles Schwab (SCHW).

Tuesday: Earnings reports from Bank of America (BAC), Goldman Sachs (GS), Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Netflix (NFLX), United Airlines (UAL) and Western Alliance Bancorp (WAL).

Wednesday: Earnings reports from Citizens Financial Group (CFG), Morgan Stanley (MS), Tesla (TSLA) and International Business Machines (IBM). Speech from NY Federal Reserve President John Williams.

Thursday: Philadelphia Fed manufacturing index, jobless claims, mortgage rates, US leading economic indicators and existing home sales. Earnings reports from AutoNation (AN) and American Express (AXP).

Friday: Manufacturing PMI and services PMI. Earnings report from Procter & Gamble (PG).

I never understood why traditional banks have been paying next to no interest on savings compared to online savings like Ally and others ...
Because they can. As long as they have a lion's share of the cash assets, they don't have to pay out more interest. Once their asset base starts to decrease, they then *might* increase their savings interest rate. Or maybe not.

It is about time the B&M banks, especially the community banks were 'forced' to pay higher interest rates. They haven't in the past because they didn't have to. They haven't had to be as careful with their practices because bank regulators have become lax.

Mega Banks propped up the regional bank failures (Signature, Silicon Valley for example) putting an extra weight on these Mega banks - but the billions they donated to prevent a bank run didn't harm them: On Friday reported record profits.

While Mega Bank status might give the perception that they are too big to fail. The biggest bank failure prior to Silicon Valley and Signature was caused by bad loan losses that were noted by and overlooked by regulators. See Washington Mutual.

My point is that there are regulators and they weren't doing their job. Washington Mutual failed due to a need to add loans to its portfolio without considering the risk they were taking on. With Signature and Silicon Valley it was cryptocurrency. Bank Auditors (ie FDIC) do examine these loans and deposits during their annual reviews. If they don't do anything about it, then, their depositors and our economy suffers due to their lack of action.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: It came close to my target price, but the zoomed up again, so no gold ring for me. (I still have a limit order in on it, but have to reconsider that since it requires me to tie up money in the stinkin' sweep account.)

Instead of a limit order with having available funds in the sweep account, just assign an "alert" for Apple stock at or near the specific price you want to receive a notification at. If the price gets close you can always convert some MM funds to cash available for use to by AAPL.

Just a reminder while reading through some of these comments wondering why account holders aren’t receiving more interest for all that cash banks are holding. Banks don’t actually have your money. It’s loaned out into the world, whether mortgages, business loans, long or short term Treasuries. Fractional Reserve Banking means your money ain’t there to give you more than a modicum of interest on. If there’s a rapid electronic withdrawal because of some bad news story at your bank, you’re backstopped by FDIC up to the limit. But that’s government money that will need to be printed, should there be contagion, not yours or the bank’s.

Instead of a limit order with having available funds in the sweep account, just assign an "alert" for Apple stock at or near the specific price you want to receive a notification at. If the price gets close you can always convert some MM funds to cash available for use to by AAPL.

That sounds like an idea. I'll look into that.

Just a reminder while reading through some of these comments wondering why account holders aren’t receiving more interest for all that cash banks are holding. Banks don’t actually have your money. It’s loaned out into the world, whether mortgages, business loans, long or short term Treasuries. Fractional Reserve Banking means your money ain’t there to give you more than a modicum of interest on. If there’s a rapid electronic withdrawal because of some bad news story at your bank, you’re backstopped by FDIC up to the limit. But that’s government money that will need to be printed, should there be contagion, not yours or the bank’s.

See "It's A Wonderful Life."

So, yeah, but that is kind of disconnected from the interest rate issue, no? Or are you saying because the banks let out loans at 3% over the last few years, they can't afford to raise savings rates now?

Let me just say like gasoline prices rising faster than dropping... the bank rates sure dropped faster than rising. When the Fed nuked rates to nothing, overnight the banks put their savings rates below 0.05%, even though they may have been holding plenty of loans of 5% or more.

How "bigly"? Down to 25c on the dollar? 10c?

If and when Apple crashes BIG, it will be for a good reason. Then, you would be afraid to buy, nor should you buy if something is down that bad.

Is there not a concurrent thread about stocks going to zero on Chapter 11?

Nope, I am not interested in stocks downtrodden so badly.

How "bigly"? Down to 25c on the dollar? 10c?

If and when Apple crashes BIG, it will be for a good reason. Then, you would be afraid to buy, nor should you buy if something is down that bad.

Is there not a concurrent thread about stocks going to zero on Chapter 11?

Nope, I am not interested in stocks downtrodden so badly.

I was just kidding with her as she has mentioned waiting for Apple to drop so she can buy in at her desired price. :D

I have bought and sold Apple several times in my life and made money some of those times. ;)

Back
Top Bottom