You can't go home again

Very interesting thread. The "home as investment" mentality is pretty ingrained in our culture. While I don't agree with the mentality, I do believe it follows some of the "efficient market" principles in setting prices due to the rampant speculation we've seen. So, saying "buy now" in a good market means you're probably already paying a premium if many folks share that opinion. I don't try to pick stocks for the same reason.

I've also read here that it's a good idea to move to an expensive area young and buy the biggest house you can afford to take advantage of the fact that market salaries will reflect the market income needed. My take on this approach is a bit different. People should choose to live wherever their absolute savings rate is maximized and I highly doubt this will come from buying the biggest house over time. Here's a few examples:

1) Single engineer makes $60k / year living in the midwest and can either rent a nice place for $600 / month or buy a decent house for 100k. Either housing choice is fine financially and is more a matter of preference. Figure they live on $30k / year and save $15k after taxes. If purchasing a house, then some of this savings is principle.

2) Single engineer lives in expensive city and gets their income to 100k. They can buy a tiny house at 600k or rent for $2000. If renting, they manage to live on 60k / year and still save that same $15k after taxes. I know quite a few of these folks. Trying to pay that mortgage, they probably save nothing outside of mortgage principle. Very risky if they lose that job and I've never heard anybody acknowledge this risk.

3) Work in the expensive city making that same 100k, but get really creative regarding cost of living. Rent a room for $600, don't have a car, enjoy the free culture stuff, etc. I know a couple people working / living in SF for around 30k / year and saving around 45k each year.

So, option 1 gives almost no chance of a high absolute savings rate. The income just isn't there so you have to live in poverty to get the savings up. Note, this only applies to a salary job where market rates force the income down. Having a business in a low cost of living area can be quite a different story.

Option 2 has no chance of savings due to the expenses. This is a high risk option if you buy a place you can barely afford (classic middle-class trap here). The risks actually double if a dual-income family can't pay the mortgage without both incomes. Elizabeth Warren wrote an OK book on the topic.

Options 3 is a fun path IMO and one many here take / took. It can be even more fun with geo-arbitrage if that's an option. "Thrift" seems to be cool again in some circles too so our single engineers' dating life might survive.

Very interesting thread....
Option 2 has no chance of savings due to the expenses. This is a high risk option if you buy a place you can barely afford (classic middle-class trap here). The risks actually double if a dual-income family can't pay the mortgage without both incomes. Elizabeth Warren wrote an OK book on the topic.

Options 3 is a fun path IMO and one many here take / took. It can be even more fun with geo-arbitrage if that's an option. "Thrift" seems to be cool again in some circles too so our single engineers' dating life might survive.

You focus on singles, but dual incomes present another option that you hint at. DW and I ended up with reasonably good salaries in the DC area when we moved here after the kids left home. We rented, then bought, places with costs that could be covered by either salary alone and have been saving nearly the entirety of the 2nd salary. We still feel that we are living nicely, we just don't need to keep up with what others in our income bracket seem to want.

Before moving to southern Ohio 25 years ago, I lived for various periods from a few months to a few years in 14 different cities, most in the US but several overseas (military career).

A few of those places seemed like they would be great for permanent homes, but I couldn't afford them at the time and I still can't afford them. Most of the rest were just OK places with nothing special to recommend them.

During all my travels back then and since, I've pretty much settled on a geographic area that seems best suited to me, but it's far from here and has a higher cost of living.

The key, however, is that DW has lived here all her life, knows just about everyone, and really, really doesn't want to ever leave. I could probably get her to go along if I pushed it, but I don't want to do that. I'm content enough here and the COL really is low.

Parents moved from NY to AL when I was in college. The house in AL had a reverse mortgage. Been here in OH for ~35 years, will move to FL to be with friend.

Define home.

My hometown was in the coal region of Pa..so not only could I go home again but I could buy the nicest home there . Would I ? No , I have moved on and that town has not .It was a great place to grow up but not to spend a lifetime .

25 years ago we planned to retire in Mystic CT or San Diego, both appreciated out of our reach before I retired. Welcome to flyover country...

I'd take flyover country over the coasts any day! Everything is cheaper, and the areas are less crowded and more quiet.

I'd take flyover country over the coasts any day! Everything is cheaper, and the areas are less crowded and more quiet.

I am with you Zesty and for the same reasons, but 50 years of living here and knowing this lifestyle only is probably the main reason. If San Diego had a population of 20,000 and new 1500 sq. ft. ranch homes went for $145,000 I imagine I would have moved there already. I was just reading another middle class home affordability problem for certain areas of country. They defined it as 31% of your monthly income for principal, interest, taxes, and insurance... Well that would mean my monthly mortgage payment could be over $2,000 a month. That is just insane to me. Mine is around $700 and I think that is plenty high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was just reading another middle class home affordability problem for certain areas of country. They defined it as 31% of your monthly income for principal, interest, taxes, and insurance... Well that would mean my monthly mortgage payment could be over $2,000 a month. That is just insane to me. Mine is around $700 and I think that is plenty high.

I think that if I had a potential monthly mortgage payment of $2,000, I'd consider living in a refrigerator box under a bridge, instead. :LOL:

Seriously, I want to live someplace nice but being owned by a house has never been my goal in life.

I think that if I had a potential monthly mortgage payment of $2,000, I'd consider living in a refrigerator box under a bridge, instead. :LOL:

Seriously, I want to live someplace nice but being owned by a house has never been my goal in life.

W2R, I don't know how Trulia can come up with such a number, but I guess people do it. That is not net income either. My gross about $6500 so that is $2000. But more importantly is my net which is about $5k, which would be significantly lower if it was earned income and having SS and Medicare coming out. "Owned by a house" is the correct term as that is way past being "married to a house".

I am with you Zesty and for the same reasons, but 50 years of living here and knowing this lifestyle only is probably the main reason. If San Diego had a population of 20,000 and new 1500 sq. ft. ranch homes went for $145,000 I imagine I would have moved there already. I was just reading another middle class home affordability problem for certain areas of country. They defined it as 31% of your monthly income for principal, interest, taxes, and insurance... Well that would mean my monthly mortgage payment could be over $2,000 a month. That is just insane to me. Mine is around $700 and I think that is plenty high.

When I lived in the south, a $2,000 monthly PITI bought a lot of house. Far more than we ever needed in fact. We were spending ~$1,200 a month for PITI for a nice house in the best school district in the city. And that's when interest rates were higher than they are today.

It works out for some people. But if the cost of housing is already high, it may mean that little is left over for conventional investments and a very high percentage of net worth is tied up in (illiquid) real estate. If the market continues to be strong when it's time to jump, then that's great. But it can lead to a very narrow "bet."

Some people did great by concentrating their 401K investments in company stock, but it's not an approach that is widely recommended.

I think the premise of the strategy is that your salary is commensurate with the price of housing in the area. If it is then that extra salary u get over living in a lower cost area is going towards expensive real estate that can be cashed in later. When I moved to the Bay Area the salaries were definitely higher.

But there is a reason for all that. ;)

In all seriousness, I think I'd curl up and quietly die were I away from places like the West Coast that literally buzz with energy.

It's nice that we have enough diversity here for everyone to find their nirvana.

But there is a reason for all that. ;)

In all seriousness, I think I'd curl up and quietly die were I away from places like the West Coast that literally buzz with energy.

It's nice that we have enough diversity here for everyone to find their nirvana.

I can get a buzz no matter where I am... :cool:

I could not live in a small town, or isolated rural area. Nice to have sports teams, museums, etc. though frankly I only occasionally use the city amenities.

I can get a buzz no matter where I am... :cool:

I could not live in a small town, or isolated rural area. Nice to have sports teams, museums, etc. though frankly I only occasionally use the city amenities.

The advantage of a Midwestern town for me anyways is that you can live in a small rural town and still be able to be in the parking lot of a professional sports team in under an hour. No major suburban sprawl. I recently had to fly into Los Angeles for a connecting flight during the day and got an amazing view of the metro area. The sprawl of humanity is everywhere. It is hard for me to fathom that the LA metro area alone has twice as many people as the state of MO has in it's entirety.

The advantage of a Midwestern town for me anyways is that you can live in a small rural town and still be able to be in the parking lot of a professional sports team in under an hour.

Yep- DH and I were together in NNJ for 13 years and went into NYC together only once before we moved- for a "farewell dinner" with family. Too darn much hassle. Where we are now, we've got the major league stadium but also a well-regarded art museum and a new music hall that's getting rave reviews for its acoustics within an hour's drive. We saw the latest hot European countertenor in concert at a local community college that's within bicycling distance. My job, before I retired, was within walking distance of an Apple store, Tiffany's, Wliiiams-Sonoma, Kate Spade, all that stuff the shop-till-you-drop types covet.

All the good stuff, far less hassle.

The advantage of a Midwestern town for me anyways is that you can live in a small rural town and still be able to be in the parking lot of a professional sports team in under an hour. No major suburban sprawl. I recently had to fly into Los Angeles for a connecting flight during the day and got an amazing view of the metro area. The sprawl of humanity is everywhere. It is hard for me to fathom that the LA metro area alone has twice as many people as the state of MO has in it's entirety.

I'm not much closer to downtown Dallas than I was to the nearest metro area from my hometown. I just find that I can hide easier in the burbs than in a small town. A medium-sized city, with a university for cultural diversity and such, might be doable. But small towns are just too parochial...

Yep- DH and I were together in NNJ for 13 years and went into NYC together only once before we moved- for a "farewell dinner" with family. Too darn much hassle. Where we are now, we've got the major league stadium but also a well-regarded art museum and a new music hall that's getting rave reviews for its acoustics within an hour's drive. We saw the latest hot European countertenor in concert at a local community college that's within bicycling distance. My job, before I retired, was within walking distance of an Apple store, Tiffany's, Wliiiams-Sonoma, Kate Spade, all that stuff the shop-till-you-drop types covet.

All the good stuff, far less hassle.

Ssh! Let the city folk think they are the only ones with culture and amenities. Keeps our country areas and "fly-over" states affordable.

PS-Am I the only one that thinks "fly-over" state is a horrid term? It just wreaks of snobbery to me.

Ssh! Let the city folk think they are the only ones with culture and amenities. Keeps our country areas and "fly-over" states affordable.

PS-Am I the only one that thinks "fly-over" state is a horrid term? It just wreaks of snobbery to me.

I don't care for the term, but as long as they keep flying over us and leaving us our peace and quiet, low traffic, and low COL, they can call us anything they like! My town frequently makes the list of "top 10 cities to live" and we groan every time. PLEASE keep flying over us, all you folks who crave the "buzz" - we have too many folks here already!

PLEASE keep flying over us, all you folks who crave the "buzz" - we have too many folks here already!

My sentiments exactly!

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to go back where I grew up. It was then a nice place. No more.

Long-time residents here complain about the traffic. I'm thinking "You have no clue what 'traffic" is". That's traffic jams at 3:00 AM Sunday morning. And yes, it happens where I used to live.

I definitely detect some "exclusivity" among those that favor high COL cities.

In my limited lifetime of experience (which is dwarfed by those who have a few decades on me), I have seen more folks move to the "desirable" high COL cities (like SF, LA, NYC) and eventually move on somewhere else with a lower COL or move back home to the Raleigh area. Common reasons include to be near family or to be able to afford a house with a yard, a garage, and a driveway where they can park their family's cars and enjoy a >20 minute commute to almost anywhere.

I think there is a steep decline in marginal utility with extra units of "culture". Having 100 local microbreweries isn't 5x as awesome as having 20. Having 250 awesome chill bars or clubs isn't 5x more awesome than having 50. Having 50 amazing museums isn't 5x better than having 10. Having a choice of 100 fine dining restaurants isn't 5x better than having 20. I love living in the city, but I don't think having more "city" near me would make it significantly better.

When I moved to California from Alabama, people in Alabama predicted that I would hate living in California and people in California assumed that I moved because I hated living in Alabama. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I like both places for different reasons and I don't get why people get so bitter over what is "desirable" for each one of us..

Not to be corny but "Home is where your heart is " .

:dance:Kansas City of course. That's where I met a Missouri farm girl/widow and got married at age 70. :flowers:

greater Portland, Seattle, Denver, New Orleans were ok in prior decades but no desire to move back.

Will visit friends and relatives several times a year but move back?

heh heh heh - No. :cool:

I definitely detect some "exclusivity" among those that favor high COL cities. <SNIP>

I hope I've never come across as "exclusive". It's certainly never been my intent. I moved to Honolulu for a host of reasons (weather, "big" city - compared to where I came from, friendly people, mountains, ocean, etc.) All the things you might guess and maybe a few more. I know full well it is costing me MUCH more than where I lived in the heartland (easily twice - maybe closer to three times). Still that was my dream. But, it was never about being exclusive (although I admit to rubbing it in on the rare occasion when it's 80 here and 10 back home, heh, heh.)

But back to the original topic - you can't go home again. Actually, I do it every summer - to the very house I grew up in. I still have some of my old toys there and there are still BB holes in the ceiling of my old room (my mom was a SAINT!) If I ever had reason (economic or otherwise) to move back to the area, I could gladly live out my days in the old homestead. But, right now, I get the best of both worlds. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom