Your Best Performing Fund Last Year?

ejman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was very surprised to see that Fidelity Contra Fund was the best performing in our portfolio last year with a 6.49% Return. I mostly roll index and Wellesley/ Wellington but I'm glad this is one of the legacy funds!
The worst one was Mutual Shares at -3.8% (another legacy fund)

Penfed CDs at 3.0% is my winner.
Vanguard REIT at 2.22
Emerging Mkts at -20% is the loser.

I am glad for Contra fund. Used to be a holder. I still will not go back though.

Vanguard Primecap at 2.64% edged out the VG REIT (2.39% admiral).

Past performance is not an indicator of future results!

Actually my best investment last year was 3.04% on PedFed CDs.

Very true but it seems my crystal ball is always out for repairs. There are some confounding actively managed funds however that do seem to have an out performance history who knows why or for how long. Wellesley and Fidelity Contra are two that come to mind because I happen to own them. Am sure there are many others. Just as there are gazillion others that under-perform always or are magnificent only until one buys them...

Actually I just wanted to talk about something other than the idiotic Powerball mania..

Last edited:
VFIAX - Vanguard S&P500 index fund, up 9.25%
TIAA Real Estate- up 7.9%
EWX (emerging markets small caps), up 6.0%

There are a few others in the 3% to 7% range, too.

+1

The only thing we can be relatively sure of is that these funds, in the aggregate, will underperform similar funds in the same sectors next year.

My best performer was the US dollar.

How did you squeeze +9.25 % out of VFIAX last year? Buying and selling at high and low points of the year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vanguard says VFIAX performance was 1.36% for last year. I'm most curious how you managed to goose up the performance to such an extent :)

Buy low, starting on August 25th to be exact.

I follow that guy that started LOL!'s Market Timing Newsletter.

DnB Global Index. Thanks to the norwegian krone tanking they got an artificial lift. All my other funds down. But since most is in the DGI my total is up. About 8% in total.

T. Rowe Price's Health Sciences Fund, PRHSX, 12.98%. On the other hand, my health insurance went up $104 per month.

If ya can't beat em, join em!

Last edited:
Vanguard Healthcare was my winner and the loser was Vanguard Energy .

Last edited:
T. Rowe Price's Health Sciences Fund, PRHSX, 12.98%. On the other hand, my health insurance went up $104 per month.

If ya can't beat em, join em!
Lol, true! :LOL:

I'm using 5% of annual contributions to buy Vanguard Healthcare VHT as a hedge against LTC/healthcare inflation. It's in a separate bucket not to be rebalanced with the rest of the portfolio. Just leaving it to grow. The rest is in VFORX so I don't have to worry about rebalancing or making asinine changes to the portfolio or AA at the wrong time.

Last edited:
I actually don't know on a fund by fund level. I use an Excel workbook to track money in and out and calculate performance using the XIRR function. I have a sheet for each "account" (My IRA, my Roth, DW's IRA, DW's Roth, after-tax VG ETF's, & Cash), plus a sheet that totals everything so I can total ins and outs and calculate overall IRR. I don't calculate the performance of individual funds but I do use my own workbook, plus VG's portfolio analyzer, to calculate the AA against my target AA.

My idea is to concentrate on getting the mix right and not be distracted by individual fund performance.

Fido Growth Co 8.26%.
I also have Contra. I hadn't noticed how well these Fido managed funds have done until Mathjak pointed them out.

Back
Top Bottom