YTD

Nice rebound, especially on foreign dev+EM+commodities yesterday. Lets have some more of those! :LOL:

Seeing 5-figure changes in 1 day (corresponding to 1 year of living costs!) can certainly get those emotions going!

I shouldn't look :-[ but; YTD as per closing yesterday: 7.3%

Cheers!

I purposely have not looked at my portfolio the last week or so - it would be too depressing! Judging by the huge drops in the DJIA, Nasdaq, EM, and International recently, I assume I have lost over $100k. But I am in it for the long term and will stay the course . . . painful as it may be.

Toejam said:
I purposely have not looked at my portfolio the last week or so

Toejam, I remember you saying that you ER'd primarily due to MSFT and INTC.   Just curious -- are you still holding your original positions?   If not, when/why did you diversify?

I recently bought INTC for the first time since 2000.   I no longer view them as a high-growth tech stock, but they're starting to look pretty good as a dividend-paying utility with some growth potential. If they increased their payout ratio, they would become extremely attractive. Ditto MSFT.

If I have 3 main investments, one 60% of my funds, one 20%, the other 20%, do I just average their YTD performance, or do I weight it by % of holdings?

Sorry, I am a bit math challenged. I'd like a way to track my own allocation vs. the pre-built Lifecycle funds available with the same funds.

Weight it.

0.6 X return of the 60% fund + 0.2 X return of one 20% fund + 0.2 X return of the other 20% fund

Created a handy dandy xls spreadsheet!

8.12% as of 30APR, last data available.

Bimmerbill said:
Created a handy dandy xls spreadsheet!

8.12% as of 30APR, last data available.

Mine was pretty good too thru April. Then the sell in May mentality took over.  :(
Yesterday was the first up day I've had in awhile.

I'm at 2% today. Down from 9% two weeks ago. Two days ago it was at 0.3%. Scary time.

... 4+%, but the haircut hasn't been pleasant. never is!

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Veritasophia,

'My Portfolios' tab, 'Accounts & Activity--Consolidated View'

Just under the "Accounts & Activity--Consolidated View' line, you will see:
'Total Vanguard Assets' [with your balance following], followed by '(Compare to year-end balances)' in blue lettering on the same line.

Click on '(Compare to year-end balances)' and you will go to...
'Year-End Balances'! Then I get out my calculator.

(It took me a long time to find it. You know how invisible something is when you look right at it all the time? :dead: )

Ed

Ah frickin ha! Someone asked me last week (LOL?) how I could have gotten my YTD from vanguard as they didnt have it, and I knew I had just seen it and looked at it about once a month, but I couldnt find it again!

Might explain why some people dont get it, as i think the consolidated view is only available to voyager and flagship customers...and the YTD thing is definitely in an obscure spot.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Veritasophia,

'My Portfolios' tab, 'Accounts & Activity--Consolidated View'

Just under the "Accounts & Activity--Consolidated View' line, you will see:
'Total Vanguard Assets' [with your balance following], followed by '(Compare to year-end balances)' in blue lettering on the same line.

Click on '(Compare to year-end balances)' and you will go to...
'Year-End Balances'! Then I get out my calculator.

(It took me a long time to find it. You know how invisible something is when you look right at it all the time? :dead: )

Ed
Thanks Ed,

Could you (or anyone) tell me how to factor in investments made this year? For example, if I invested $2000 in a fund so far this year, do I substract that 2000 and calculate the change in value according to what's left after the substraction?

But then what do I use as my basis to calculate a YTD% for that fund?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Ah frickin ha!  Someone asked me last week (LOL?) how I could have gotten my YTD from vanguard as they didnt have it, and I knew I had just seen it and looked at it about once a month, but I couldnt find it again!

Might explain why some people dont get it, as i think the consolidated view is only available to voyager and flagship customers...and the YTD thing is definitely in an obscure spot.

It was me. And it appears the above confirms that YTD is not on the Vanguard web site. You can calculate it from numbers on the web site ... as long as you neither add new money nor take out old money from your holdings.

OK, CFB, are you still up 192.3% YTD?

Up 4.1% 5/25/06 coffeehouse port mostly, little more foreign, and less reits.........Shredder

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:

For some reason I am now able to link outside accounts and see the consolidated view in Vanguard. In the past I couldn't access this feature. VG must have changed who can access these features to include us commoners.

I have less than $250,000 at VG. I did add an Admiral class fund recently. Strange.

LOL! said:
It was me. And it appears the above confirms that YTD is not on the Vanguard web site. You can calculate it from numbers on the web site ... as long as you neither add new money nor take out old money from your holdings.

OK, CFB, are you still up 192.3% YTD?

Never was! I havent looked, but dollarwise i'm back to where i was a few weeks ago, so whatever I said then is what i'm up now!

justin said:
For some reason I am now able to link outside accounts and see the consolidated view in Vanguard. In the past I couldn't access this feature. VG must have changed who can access these features to include us commoners.

Or maybe you have high friends in places...err...friends in high places... ;)

Veritasophia said:
Could you (or anyone) tell me how to factor in investments made this year? For example, if I invested $2000 in a fund so far this year, do I substract that 2000 and calculate the change in value according to what's left after the substraction?

But then what do I use as my basis to calculate a YTD% for that fund?

Ah! Great question! They COULD have a little function that would do that for you (DCF or discounted cash flow)--but they don't.

The last time this came up, I think someone had written a spreadsheet that did DCFs.

Most of us don't really need high accuracy. And do you really need to know the YTD return for EACH fund? I want to know the whole pot. Since I am more or less equally divided between my funds, I can see the relative gains of each by how their numbers differ.

Your idea to keep it simple sounds just fine to me.

Ed

Have been kinda lucky, but 88.8% YTD.  My young son picked the stocks and we love him so it's only right that we get the profits.

Could you (or anyone) tell me how to factor in investments made this year?
They COULD have a little function that would do that for you
using Excel?  if so, try XIRR function. (insert menu >> function >> financial)

d said:
try XIRR function. (insert menu >> function >> financial)

My version of excel doesn't have that function. However it has IRR and MIRR, neither of which seems to be what I'm looking for. Is there a formula to help calculate this?

IRR will work, but not nearly as nicely as XIRR.  XIRR let's you specify the various dates ... with IRR the dates are implicitly at "regular" intervals, so you might have some "dummy" events ($0) just to get the time intervals property specified. 

Note too, that the rate calculated is not a per year rate, but for the overall period of time, so if it gives you 5% over 6 months, that's
(1.05)^2-1=10.25% per annum

wab said:
Toejam, I remember you saying that you ER'd primarily due to MSFT and INTC.   Just curious -- are you still holding your original positions?   If not, when/why did you diversify?

I recently bought INTC for the first time since 2000.   I no longer view them as a high-growth tech stock, but they're starting to look pretty good as a dividend-paying utility with some growth potential.    If they increased their payout ratio, they would become extremely attractive.   Ditto MSFT.

Hello Wab:

In response to your above inquiry, please refer to my first 3 posts (#56,55,54) when I first joined this forum in early 2004.   I did not  ER primarily due to MSFT and INTC.  I was able to ER in March 2004 due to several factors:  Some luck, being frugal, saving & investing over many years to build up a sizeable portfolio (MSFT did help a lot here, but it  wasn't the only stock I owned),  rental income/real estate appreciation from rental property owned over 20 years, small but cola'd pension, low expense health/medical coverage (connected with prior employment) that continued after retirement, and $500K received in cash through a stock buyout of the company I used to work for (this was distributed in several increments between 2003 and 2004).  Although my base pay salary was never more than $55,000/yr., I did work a lot of overtime when required and there were a couple of years where I received huge bonuses.

In my original post back in early 2004, I casually mentioned that I purchased several hundred shares of MSFT in 1986.  I threw out this info casually, based on my best recollection at the time I wrote the post, because I was too lazy to go back into my records.  This info was inaccurate.  I went back into my records last night to find out when and how many shares of MSFT I actually purchased, and this is what I found:  Bought 200 shares in 10/87.  Sold 200 shares in 10/89.  Bought 400 shares between 6/92 and 12/92, and have not sold any since then.  These last 400 shares have grown into a total of 12,800 shares due to stock splits, and this amount represents about 12% of my total portfolio of investable assets (not counting real estate).  I had also bought shares of INTC and CSCO some years ago and have continued to hold these much smaller positions, even though it has been very painful to see them go so low.  For reasons similar to yours, I continue to hold all 3 stocks with hopes of higher dividends and a turnaround in the stock price.

Since the tech bust of early 2000, I have continued to add a variety of dividend-paying large cap stocks, small cap mutual funds, large cap international stocks & mutual funds, and a REIT.  This is where most of the aforementioned $500K cash (that I received between 2003 and 2004) went. I have tried to stay away from tech stocks but admit that I bought some QCOM several years ago and have held onto them.

Starting last year, I further diversified into emerging markets, small cap international, and a few more large-cap international equities (ETF's, individual stocks and mutual funds) with part of my cash holdings and from proceeds from the sale of some "loser" large cap domestic stocks and mutual funds that I finally gave up on.  The reason for this further diversification was that I was still overweighted in large-cap domestic equities, so wanted to add to my International holdings.  Hope that wasn't a mistake - I keep telling myself I am in it for the long term and hope Jeremy Siegel is right . . . If everything comes crashing down, at least I have my pension and rental income that I can (hopefully) rely on.  I don't hold any bonds right now because I kinda think of my pension and rental income as a rough substitute, being that they are fairly stable and consistent.   I know a lot of people would not be able to sleep with this type of "risk", but I guess it is just in my blood to invest this way.  Something like UncleMick's "male hormone thing", although I am not male and am not an INTJ (hehehe).  And I won't blame anyone if one day I find myself standing in line at the food bank.  

As of 4/30/06, total portfolio of investable assets (all brokerage accounts, IRA's, 401(k), and checking/savings accounts):   $2,476,348.    Total equity in personal residence and 2 rental homes:  $791,000.   So, Total Net Worth as of 4/30/06:  $3,267,348.  As of today, subtract perhaps $100K (?) from this figure due to large losses in both domestic and global markets within the last week.  As mentioned, I have not been  looking at my balances recently (too depressing) although I do expect this kind of volatility with the types of investments I hold.  

For estimating home equity, I used the King County Assessor's valuations, which are a lot lower than what Zillow.com shows.  If I use Zillow's figures, total equity for personal residence and rentals totals $1,083,000 (almost $300k more than the County figures.)  Think Zillow's valuations may be more accurate because  their figures are based on, among other things, what comparable homes actually sold for recently?   I used the County figures 'cuz I like being conservative in valuing assets, and it seems real estate prices in the local area have skyrocketed out of control in recent years.  

Toejam

Toejam said:
So, Total Net Worth as of 4/30/06:  $3,267,348.

Wow, thanks for that detail.  I do have one more question:  will you marry me?  :)

For estimating home equity, I used the King County Assessor's valuations, which are a lot lower than what Zillow.com shows.

Zillow will definitely be closer to reality.    I've heard that a rule of thumb for our area is that resale value ~= 30% over assessed value.

So, it sounds like you're still holding MSFT and INTC from way back.   I sold mine way early, but I do know people who retired on those stocks and are still holding.   I was curious if long-term holders lost faith after a while and diversified.   It's painful to watch those two go sideways for 5 years, but they still hold near-monopoly status, so I think they're starting to look like real bargains.

Zillow.com's estimate of our house appears to be based on recent sales of houses in the neighborhood.

When he was out of ICU, OAP lifted up on one elbow and sort of whispered...
Have been kinda lucky, but 88.8% YTD. My young son picked the stocks and we love him so it's only right that we get the profits.

Hmm. Does he consult?

Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom