YTD Index beating managed 8/9

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
With a little more than a month to go in 2006, funds that track an underlying index were ahead of actively managed funds in eight of the nine investing-style categories that investment researcher Morningstar Inc. (MORN : morningstar inc com

That's comparing each so-called style box, such as large-cap growth and small-cap value, to a respective benchmark index. Only mid-cap blend managers were ahead this year through Monday, with an average return of 11.7% vs. a gain of 8.9% for the Standard & Poor's MidCap 400 Index.
http://tinyurl.com/yjt9eg

"Mid-cap funds in general is an area where active managers differ a great deal more than the indices," said Milton Ezrati, market strategist at Lord Abbett... We think the market will continue to trend up, so that (outperformance) by mid-cap managers should continue," Ezrati said."

"Only mid-cap blend managers were ahead this year...". So for your mid-cap blend asset allocation category, make sure to pick an actively managed fund, because clearly active management is a winner in the mid-cap blend part of the market. ;) ::)

Right on, justin. I'm surprised Vanguard hasn't come out with an actively managed mid-cap fund that would fit tailor-made with that "Total Stock Market Index Minus Mid-cap Market" index fund. ;)

"Sure our team's 1-8, but man, did you see that win?"

terminator said:

Well, er, ahh... you see... the er, ahh mid-cap blend sector is very specialized in terms of er, ahh... quantitative numericals and allows sophisticated active managers to exploit market inefficiencies in such a manner as to create positive alpha. We can see this time and again in certain areas of the market throughout history. Active management can always win in a niche area of the market during periods of proper market timing. ::)

I wonder why they withhold from applying those advanced mid-cap methodologies and techniques from the rest of the stock market? ::)

BTW, I forsee a new career for you writing their marketing materials. It sounds good and deep within the writing I see honest disclosures: "Active management can always win . . . ." :p

justin said:
"Only mid-cap blend managers were ahead this year...". So for your mid-cap blend asset allocation category, make sure to pick an actively managed fund, because clearly active management is a winner in the mid-cap blend part of the market. ;) ::)

Of course, next year this time, maybe the small or large cap sector will be the lone winner in actively managed funds. Then they will tell us to move to active managed funds in that sector....

terminator said:

And even that 'win' is trailing the S&P 500 index....

-ERD50

Yea! But in a down market....

(At least until there is a down market)

Back
Top Bottom