10 worst states for retirement

The other day my wife -non English speaker- suggested taking a sabbatical and going for a year to the States. Her suggestion included me teaching Spanish over there.....:ROFLMAO: She must think that kind of plum job grows on trees over there....:):rolleyes: How many Hispanics among you that would aspire to such a job....20 million:angel:?

I suppose it was some sort of idle daydreaming on her part, but..... just in case she insists on her notion and strarts pestering me into researching the issue, I am documenting myself, studying all your posts on this thread:D:D

Does not surprise me Wisconsin is on the list, some of the high property taxes, short summers, high gas taxes, etc. Why the hell do I still live here? Oh, that's right, Summerfest! :)

The other day my wife -non English speaker- suggested taking a sabbatical and going for a year to the States. Her suggestion included me teaching Spanish over there.....:ROFLMAO: She must think that kind of plum job grows on trees over there....:):rolleyes: How many Hispanics among you that would aspire to such a job....20 million:angel:?

I suppose it was some sort of idle daydreaming on her part, but..... just in case she insists on her notion and strarts pestering me into researching the issue, I am documenting myself, studying all your posts on this thread:D:D
I think it should be a real possibility. Remember that many if not most American Spanish speakers speak a Spanish that is to educated Spanish about like inner city English is to educated English. There are often educated people posting on grocery message boards, etc. that they offer Spanish lessons, but remember that many of these people also speak English and can get regular full time jobs with benefits, etc. It also depends on how much she expects to earn, both per hour and per lesson.
I don't know about visas, green cards, etc., but this kind of thing should be easy to run quietly. Just don't hang out in the parking lot at Office Depot. :)

Ha

I It also depends on how much she expects to earn, both per hour and per lesson.

Ha

I would be the one doing the teaching:). She would be too busy learning English:D and touring all over the place:D.

Anyway it was pure daydreaming on her part, I hope, ´cause I´m a bit old for such an adventure:blush:. I do feel my age:(.
If I were 5 years younger, just when I E-retired......;)

Out of curiosity....Would we lead a decent life on, say, 5.400$ per month? I know, it depends....but a ballpark estimation?

Out of curiosity....Would we lead a decent life on, say, 5.400$ per month? I know, it depends....but a ballpark estimation?
Sure, you could get a nice apartment in a close in neighborhood where you could get to groceries, restaurants and bars, libraries, parks on foot, and a longer walk to easy bus ride downtown for downtown shopping, museums, etc. Food over here is cheap. You could join Zip-Car for when you wanted to drive somewhere, or rent for a longer weekend trip for ski-ing or visiting the mountains. I am using Seattle prices, it will cost more for rent in Boston or San Francisco or New York, which are the main cities besides Seattle where you could realistically do fine with no car. Portland my work too, but I am less familiar there. Also fairly expensive but not boring and ok with no car would be Palo Alto and Berkeley.

You could even buy a car, and resell it before you go back- that way you could live in Montana if you wanted to.

New York is in a class by itself, and its rents are in a class by themselves.

You would need to get some sort of temporary insurance, since if you ran up a big hospital bill they might sell your body parts before they would allow you to go back to Spain. (Just kidding, I hope.)

If you come to Seattle, I can introduce you to some Spanish speakers living here so your wife will not get lonesome, and also give you some pointers on living in this city. Maybe even get you tango dancing.

Ha

Median household income in the United States in 2009 was $4,185, before taxes.

The cost of living in the U.S. is widely variable depending on location. $5,400/month would be a fabulous income in some southern or midwestern rural areas. But it would be hard to scrape by on that income in Manhattan, for example. Cities tend to be more expensive than rural areas, and generally east coast and west coast locations tend to be more expensive than the midwest and the more central southern states such as Alabama and Mississippi.

Last edited:

Here you go: https://applicants.rosettastone.com/

Come on over!!!

What HaHa said +

On $5,400/mo they could live VERY comfortably in either Portland (where we now live) or Seattle. [My complaint about Seattle is the traffic.] The cost of living in Palo Alto and Berkley, in nice neighborhoods, is substantially higher.

My question would be what do you want to do during the sabbatical? If you want to research alligators the west coast of the US is not the place to spend your time.

What HaHa said +

On $5,400/mo they could live VERY comfortably in either Portland (where we now live) or Seattle. [My complaint about Seattle is the traffic.] The cost of living in Palo Alto and Berkley, in nice neighborhoods, is substantially higher.

My question would be what do you want to do during the sabbatical? If you want to research alligators the west coast of the US is not the place to spend your time.

Hey! I was just imagining ourselves out there! By the way, you have so many things I like....I wouldnt know where to start!

NY is a horrible place to retire. Taxes, blizzards, high cost of living, etc. Why am I here... grandbaby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

California is a horrible place to be financially. yes, the weather is supposed to "make up for it", but at some point the sunshine only does so much to dampen the realization that I live in a highly taxed tax and that I can save much less here because of the high cost of living as well. that means we have to work much longer to save the same amount we could have saved had we lived elsewhere and therefore, retire later than we otherwise could retire.

Every time when I see the "worst" of anything list, I just expect California to be on that list and unfortunately I'm usually right :( I don't even bother looking at the list for CEO magazine's "worst state to do business" anymore. CA has been dead last 4 years running.

We're here because my spouse is employed here and has been with the same employer for 17 years. We're counting on his being able to retire with the company - he's in his early 40s. Since we're aiming for age-55 retirement for him - now is not the time to start looking at out of state opportunities in his (very narrow niche) field.

I feel like I have this uneasy "love/hate" relationship with the state of California. "Fortunately", I used to live in New York State, which according to some of the posts is its own planet so maybe that's why I'm semi-used to California being somewhat the same too.

Back
Top Bottom