10 worst states for retirement

LuvSouth

Recycles dryer sheets
According to Topretirements.com

» Our Worst States to Retire List Topretirements

The following states are the worst 10 states for retirement:
IL, CA, NY, RI, NJ, OH, WI, MS, CN and NV

What do you think ? Agree or disagree ? Any comment ?

I mostly agree with the list as I will go straight down to Florida from Toronto. California is not bad but it's too far for me to drive and too expensive in a way !

REWahoo, I'm sorry Texas couldn't qualify for inclusion on this list...

Every individual has different priorities, and at best these types of articles have to make assumptions about what the "average" retiree is looking for.

I mean, there are really a lot of different factors: cost of living, taxes, climate, recreational and cultural opportunities, health care, that sort of thing. Each individual has to decide for themselves which of these are most important to them. In general most of this "worst" list seems to focus on weather and taxes/cost of living, which are usually two of the major factors but certainly not the only ones.

I mostly agree with the list as I will go straight down to Florida from Toronto. California is not bad but it's too far for me to drive and too expensive in a way !

The abbreviation for Massachusetts is MA, not MS. Mississippi is last in a lot of things and probably not at the top of retirement locations for most, but the cost of living is fairly low which would exclude it from a list like this one.

Thanks, Dawg! I was about to go to the article, in complete disbelief since I think that Mississippi is not an unusually bad place to retire at all. It has its problems, but cost of living is very low, and housing is very low, too.

Here's a surprising paragraph from the article:
Honorable Mentions:
Arizona (PR), Oregon (PR), and Florida (PR) are all frequently mentioned as problem states because of their unhealthy economies. These high-growth states are having to deal with no growth, and the transition has been difficult. On the plus side, they (except for OR) have warmer climates and are popular with retirees. Florida does do not have an income tax, Oregon does not have a sales tax or tax social security or military pensions.

I would have thought these three states would be right at the top of the list of good places to retire.

Last edited:
Yes, the list focus on weather, taxes, cost of living and fiscal issue of each state.

I think there's one important factor that's missed is the family tie. To some retirees, family tie may be the most important factor.

I think it's justifiable that TX doesn't make the list of worst 10 states as it has pleasant climate in the winter. Look at the number of snowbirds in TX, it's a whopping 150,000 of them each year.

Snowbirds from Ontario Canada go to Brownsville TX too. I talked to 2 snowbirds a few years ago in a camping trip in Ontario, they said they went to Brownsville TX every winter.

I thought about the abbreviation of Massachusetts when I typed MS as I wasn't sure :)

Thanks for pointing it out for me. Well, I never know how to spell Massachusetts correctly in my life !

I thought about the abbreviation of Massachusetts when I typed MS as I wasn't sure :)

Thanks for pointing it out for me. Well, I never know how to spell Massachusetts correctly in my life !
Not bad since you spelled it correctly here not once, but twice. :)

I would just like to point out that Illinois, number one on the list of worst places to retire, has the most awesome street lights.

As a resident of Ohio, not one tax gets you, but add them all up and it is bad.

NY might not be as bad as it appears, my parents are RE in Rochester, and my father tells me the first 40k of income for a married couple is tax free.

Most of those states have high taxes, among other things. Ohio is 7th highest total tax burden in country.

Not bad since you spelled it correctly here not once, but twice. :)
Thanks for the compliment but I have to make 2 confessions:

(1) I copied and pasted MA, you see, I don't remember how to spell it again.

(2) The reason I used abbreviations for those 10 states in my first post was because I saw MA (full name) on the list and knew I wouldn't know how to spell it :)

Note that CA is #2 on the 10 worst list, and also #5 on the 10 best list. Tells you something about these lists.
Yep -- one list is clearly emphasizing taxes, cost of living and overall fiscal condition, and the other is clearly emphasizing weather and recreational/cultural opportunities.

Yep -- ... the other is clearly emphasizing weather and recreational/cultural opportunities.

Such as the Corona beer girls at the local Mexican restaurant on Cinco de Mayo.

I think the list tries to bring out what retirees most likely prefer:
- Weather: Warm, no snow to shovel
- Lower taxes
- Cultural activities (Florida offers such opportunities plus pleasant weather)
- Fiscal condition

I would further prefer:
- Lower property taxes, meaning lower or moderate property prices (for snowbirds)
- Geographical location (for snowbirds)

I would just like to point out that Illinois, number one on the list of worst places to retire, has the most awesome street lights.

Just when we thought we had shipped out a number of the major problems to other areas of the country, some are trying to prove they're still residents and move back....... :(

Note that CA is #2 on the 10 worst list, and also #5 on the 10 best list. Tells you something about these lists.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: That's hilarious. What is a person supposed to conclude about retiring in California? Were the authors on drugs? :D

One reason I actually LIKE reading lists like these, is that it gives me ideas of what sorts of things I might have missed about a potential retirement location. Then I can think about these aspects and determine whether or not they make any difference to me. Often the criteria used just aren't important to me, so the actual ranking is kind of irrelevant.

Last edited:
I think the list tries to bring out what retirees most likely prefer:
- Weather: Warm, no snow to shovel
- Lower taxes
- Cultural activities (Florida offers such opportunities plus pleasant weather)
- Fiscal condition

I would further prefer:
- Lower property taxes, meaning lower or moderate property prices (for snowbirds)
- Geographical location (for snowbirds)

I'm shocked that Nevada is on the list. Yes, there are definitely fiscal issues, but housing costs are low, weather is super (it's 58 and sunny in the middle of Dec), and cost of living is low with no income tax and very low property taxes. There is also a lot to do.

Snow skiing is within an hour of our house and there are more hiking, biking and walking trails than you can count.

We moved from TX to NV last March because we knew it is where we eventually wanted to retire and we wanted to get in while the house prices were cheap!

I can understand if the retiree needs to w*rk this isn't the place to live, but to me retired = no w*rk.

Back
Top Bottom