4 Years FIREd!!!

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Yesterday marked my four year anniversary since I quit making money w*rking for anyone else. It's incomprehensible to me that it's been that long; it seems like yesterday. I have mentioned many times over, but the freedom is absolutely fantastic. Being retired (and NO "side hustles" either!!! :cool:) has been all I thought it could be and quite a bit more.

Here is a picture I took as I left w*rk for the very last time. To this day, I still enjoy looking at it and it brings a smile to face every time I look at it.

Oh, and as a bonus...today is MONDAY!!! By far, my favorite day of the week these days!!! :D:D:D

Attachments

• Departing.jpg
    Departing.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 90
Excellent. No work is a big thing for me too.
Love Mondays. In my sig line.

It is wonderful and actually gets better as time goes on for me. I stay so busy doing the things I love to do the time flies by way to fast.

I wish you many more!

Very nice! After almost 5 years I still have the occasional nightmare about being on the J-O-B or getting the assignment officer call. Also about once every 3 months I will have to be somewhere which forces me to participate in commuter traffic. Both are enough to give me cold sweats!

JDARNELL

Last edited:
Coming up on 9 years for me, which is hard to believe, especially when my wife says it out loud. Like Street, I have kept busy (doing things that I enjoy doing), and the time has flown by. Now my main job is to stay healthy so that I can enjoy this for a while longer yet!

Just completed my 31st year! Love Monday's as well, Wife is off to work, kids are off to school and our pretty 22 y/o Nanny makes my breakfast!:dance:

Coming up on 18 months and loving every day. Gonna go for my 3 mile hike shortly, then over to the soup kitchen for a few hours.

Love, love, love the freedom. :dance::dance::dance:

Yesterday marked my four year anniversary since I quit making money w*rking for anyone else. It's incomprehensible to me that it's been that long; it seems like yesterday. I have mentioned many times over, but the freedom is absolutely fantastic. Being retired (and NO "side hustles" either!!! :cool:) has been all I thought it could be and quite a bit more.

Here is a picture I took as I left w*rk for the very last time. To this day, I still enjoy looking at it and it brings a smile to face every time I look at it.

Oh, and as a bonus...today is MONDAY!!! By far, my favorite day of the week these days!!! :D:D:D

Congrats, Flyguy! ;)

Okay - rub it in, rub it in! I'm getting ready for work as I write this post. But - 14 more months and 11 days 'til I'm done (but who's counting? :) ).

In the 7 years I worked part-time prior to my ER 10 years ago, I rarely worked on Mondays, the last time in 2006. It was Tuesday that I hated because that was usually my first day I had to work.

The 4th anniversary of my ER was a tough stretch, however. That was October 31, 2012. Hurricane Sandy had hit my area and I was without power for a few days. It was tough enough dealing with that (my ladyfriend, who lives nearby, had power and enough room in her freezer to hold my frozen foods). But the lousy commute, even after the office reopened, would have been a disaster. The LIRR's service had not yet fully been restored, and at the other end the PATH system (a small subway-like system connecting NY and nearby NJ areas) was also dealing with flooding. The commute would have been awful at both ends.

But being ERed allowed me to hole up at her place until power came aback, then I moved my stuff back home and went on with my life.

It's been almost 5 and a half years for me and I'll agree, Mondays have a whole new meaning in ER.

Congrats and here's to many more.

8 years and counting for me. DH 4 years retired in Feb. No alarm clock is the best part of being retired. Couldn't ask for much more out of life.

Congrats on the 4 years of freedom! My "official" 4-year anniversary is coming up in May, and I'm with you that those four years seem like they've flown by.

Did you do anything special Sunday to mark the occasion?

In the 7 years I worked part-time prior to my ER 10 years ago, I rarely worked on Mondays, the last time in 2006. It was Tuesday that I hated because that was usually my first day I had to work.

The 4th anniversary of my ER was a tough stretch, however. That was October 31, 2012. Hurricane Sandy had hit my area and I was without power for a few days. It was tough enough dealing with that (my ladyfriend, who lives nearby, had power and enough room in her freezer to hold my frozen foods). But the lousy commute, even after the office reopened, would have been a disaster. The LIRR's service had not yet fully been restored, and at the other end the PATH system (a small subway-like system connecting NY and nearby NJ areas) was also dealing with flooding. The commute would have been awful at both ends.

But being ERed allowed me to hole up at her place until power came aback, then I moved my stuff back home and went on with my life.

Your post does a good job of illustrating one of the benefits of being FIREd...not *having* to go or stay somewhere. I wonder about all the folks that have been affected (homes destroyed) by the California fires and how life would be different between those FIREd and those that still had to w*rk.

When I saw folks staying in tents, my first thought was, "Why? Just get out of town...find the first decent hotel and stay there until you can figure out what it next." Of course, it occurs to me that most of those unlucky folks probably don't have a choice...hotels in the near area are certainly full and the ones that have j*bs still have to go to work...so it's not so easy to "just get out of town". But, if you are FIREd, you *could* get out of town...hell, could take an extended vacation somewhere. My point isn't to show the misery that is affecting the folks in California, but more to illustrate that the FREEDOM afforded by FIRE is so much more than just enjoying a commute-free Monday.

It is also interesting that one's FIRE anniversary is always remembered, sometimes to the hour and day. lol

Coming up on 12 years for me.

Remember my departure like it was yesterday. :dance::D:dance::D:dance:

omni

Back
Top Bottom